• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Low power UHF transmitter continuous transmit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I am working on a new project and I am kind of stuck. I am seeking to transmit audio through a low powered transmitter and monitor on my portable. I have found several devices but they don't work for my required frequency range and are likely not FCC approved.

Band: 467-469MHz. Yes I am licensed on several UHF frequencies.

Channel options: 1 channel with CTCSS capability, both user programmable

Output power: 500mW - 1W, just need line of sight for several hundred feet

Audio: Any standard audio connector such as 3.5mm or XLR

Cycle: Continuous transmit from several minutes to a couple hours at a time

Power: Tapped to an external battery, fused

Any ideas would be appreciated.

ecps92

Why not got for a VHF Wireless Mic ?
Little more Distance, won't need CTCSS

Not sure, what is out there for UHF as the only Mic users in the 457/467 are the fast food joints

I am working on a new project and I am kind of stuck. I am seeking to transmit audio through a low powered transmitter and monitor on my portable. I have found several devices but they don't work for my required frequency range and are likely not FCC approved.

Band: 467-469MHz. Yes I am licensed on several UHF frequencies.

Channel options: 1 channel with CTCSS capability, both user programmable

Output power: 500mW - 1W, just need line of sight for several hundred feet

Audio: Any standard audio connector such as 3.5mm or XLR

Cycle: Continuous transmit from several minutes to a couple hours at a time

Power: Tapped to an external battery, fused

Any ideas would be appreciated.

SCPD

QRT
What about a part 15 fm transmitter like one of the ramsey kits. You can get several hundred feet from just 10mw. Tune it to an even slot like 88.2, 88.4 etc.

Or

A simple baby monitor operating in the 49mhz band.

I'm not sure if either is legal for this purpose.

I am very sure you can't do this legally on uhf .

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
One more thought try guitar center . I've seen them offer wireless mic devices that use uhf freqs but they are wideband and won't work on a narrowband ht. And they are pricey.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
If you're going that route, I would suggest an in-ear monitor system. You could run 2 channels of audio at the same time over 1 rf carrier, saving you from having to do it again if it works well.

Sennheiser EW300 g3 series are great performers.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions.

I carry a UHF radio for work and licensed on several frequencies between 467-469MHz. So the device would need to be able to work on a frequency of my choice in that band.

Speaking from my broadcast experience, IFB systems and wireless mics generally are 500-600MHz. Won't work in my radio obviously. I don't want to carry any more gear than I have to if I can avoid it.

This is similar to what I'm looking for Wireless Intercom / Base Station Radio - Riton Inc.

The only question I will have to find out is the duty cycle. Just wanted to see if there were any similar devices on the market.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
That's why I specifically suggested the Sennheiser unit. Coverage from 470 - 638MHz, depending on the band you purchase. Your scanner should tune to 512MHz.

ecps92

Consumer (average Joe) Wireless is generally VHF 160-170
There might be some rare UHF, but most are all listed as 500-600 , not 457/467

Commercial Grade, yes is UHF-T, however is being forced to Vacate the 698-806 band
for the 470-512

Thanks for the suggestions.

I carry a UHF radio for work and licensed on several frequencies between 467-469MHz. So the device would need to be able to work on a frequency of my choice in that band.

Speaking from my broadcast experience, IFB systems and wireless mics generally are 500-600MHz. Won't work in my radio obviously. I don't want to carry any more gear than I have to if I can avoid it.

This is similar to what I'm looking for Wireless Intercom / Base Station Radio - Riton Inc.

The only question I will have to find out is the duty cycle. Just wanted to see if there were any similar devices on the market.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Ecps by commercial you mean wireless mics and such?

I can speak with authority on that subject and say we were forced from 698-894 about 4 years ago. All wireless mics, IEM units, and intercom systems for entertainment (in the USA) now operate in the 470 - 698 MHz region.

Gone are the days of placing wireless mics inside NTSC video signals where no carrier is present. With DTV, it's now a solid 6 MHz chunk of noise. Coordinating over 11 wireless microphone channels in major metropolitan areas is becoming tough. Some of the tours I support are carrying over 60 channels of RF and they don't have the benefit of being inside an arena, they're in a stadium. Our RF techs sure earn their keep on those tours!

ecps92

Commercial Grade aka Industry use vs the day-to-day (Consumer) Church or home type use (Joe the ...)

Sadly tho with the 470-512 if you are in major city area, look out for Part 90 users (Boston, NYC, etc)

Ecps by commercial you mean wireless mics and such?

I can speak with authority on that subject and say we were forced from 698-894 about 4 years ago. All wireless mics, IEM units, and intercom systems for entertainment (in the USA) now operate in the 470 - 698 MHz region.

Gone are the days of placing wireless mics inside NTSC video signals where no carrier is present. With DTV, it's now a solid 6 MHz chunk of noise. Coordinating over 11 wireless microphone channels in major metropolitan areas is becoming tough. Some of the tours I support are carrying over 60 channels of RF and they don't have the benefit of being inside an arena, they're in a stadium. Our RF techs sure earn their keep on those tours!

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
That's why I specifically suggested the Sennheiser unit. Coverage from 470 - 638MHz, depending on the band you purchase. Your scanner should tune to 512MHz.

I will not be using a scanner, though. I have commercial radios with a 400–470MHz band split. Precisely why I am seeking a device that will allow me to transmit on my licensed frequencies in the 467-469MHz range. I don't think I'll be able to replace my cache of portables with those of the 450-512Mhz band split.

Status
Not open for further replies.