• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Which radio(s) meet our requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0BDW

Hi folks,

My FD is purchasing a new Chief's truck and as the person in charge of communications I'm responsible for finding a radio solution that will meet our needs. The truck will be a 2015 Chevy Tahoe and the rear will be used as a command center.

Requirements:

* Dual VHF heads
* Dual low band (46Mhz) heads
* Ability to communicate on this system: Genesee, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans Counties Public Safety Trunking System, Regional, New York - Scanner Frequencies (specificially Ontario County NY)
* MDC1200 identifier transmit and receive on the VHF and low band -- and whatever might be needed for the Ontario system
* In house ability to program

Notes:

We currently have a low band CDM1250 that we can use for one of the low band heads.
We're not tied to Motorola, but have strong preference there (majority of our radios are Motorola)
We have the programming capabilities for Waris series Motorola radios
The communications with the Ontario County system either needs dual heads or to be in the form of a portable. If a mobile, it'd be nice if we could cover both that system and VHF with a single radio, unless cost prohibitive. If we cover this with a portable, we still need dual head VHF in the truck

Both the VHF and low band only *need* to do analog. Any other modes they can do for future compatibility are bonus.

I understand there is a dual head kit for the CDM series that allows it to have multiple heads but this is not an acceptable solution. I've read about a number of issues with it and we need this system to be stable and easily programmable. I would rather buy a 2nd radio.

I really don't know much about the Ontario system, and they are only one town over from us so it is not uncommon for us to use them or be used by them for mutual aid. I know they are using Harris portables for almost everything.

Not a requirement but it might be nice to be able to cross band repeat between VHF analog and the Ontario system. We have all VHF analog portables, and that way if the Chief's vehicle is on scene every FF can essentially be on the same fireground channel. This may be cost prohibitive. We currently do this between low band and VHF using a Motorola "RICK" (like HLN3333B HLN3333 - Motorola RICK - REPEATER INTERFACE COMM KIT - ShopWiscomm) between a VHF CDM1250 and a low band CDM750.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

gesucks

First, I would check with the Ontario system before you do anything. They will most likely NOT let you program your own radios and may also have specific requirements for what may be used on their system.

Also I would not patch anything to their system with out written permission.

For their system, you will need a P25 radio. For Motorola, that will be an APX. You have many directions you could go. Dual band, dual head, dual radio. All depends on what you true operational need is and what your budget is.

Other than Vertex, I do not know who is making Low band radios anymore.

You need to decide what you WANT and what you NEED, and work out where you can afford.

Also plan on buying what ever cables and software you need.

Since you are buying a Tahoe, make sure you order a SSV or PPV Tahoe. Do NOT buy a civilian model. Not only will you save money but the install and over use will be better.

Also, order one, do not buy off the lot. Order it with the proper options codes that YOU will need. Feel free to PM me and I can offer input on the ordering of the Tahoe

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Low band - dual head, that could be handled by A Kenwood TK-690. These have been popular radios.

VHF - dual head, we just started buying Kenwood TK-5710's. Our officers have been happy with these. They'll do P25, but it sounds like you don't need that. Might be good to have the option.

N0BDW

Thanks for the feedback thus far folks. I've asked for clarification on the model of Tahoe we're looking at -- it will be an SSV, but I'll likely have limited input there.

Motorola still makes the CDM series in low band, and since we already have one of those that could go in this truck, I think it probably makes the most sense to just get a 2nd one for the rear...

But I didn't think about the TK-690. We have one of those as well (in service elsewhere). Can that do MDC1200? I don't believe the one we currently have does. The TK-5710 looks promising...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Kenwood TK-690's won't do MDC without an add on signaling board, so that might be something to consider. A good shop can add the board for you, not really a big deal.

I keep waiting to see if Kenwood ever updates the TK-690 radio. I've been told by our Kenwood rep that they plan on keeping the x90 line of radios around for a few more years, at least, but Kenwood is one of the few companies that still makes high end low band mobiles/portables. I'd like to see them keep that up.

The two CDM's would probably be cheaper, though, except you'll need two antennas and enough separation between them

N0BDW

> The two CDM's would probably be cheaper, though, except you'll need two antennas and enough separation between them

Separation may be an issue, but we can probably mount one on the front fender and one at the center rear of the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.