• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Some Basic Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndrella

Premium Subscriber
What'sup Guys, I've been using a few baofeng radios to listen to emergency channels for about a year now, such as pd, fire, and ems. I am an emt in NYC and i bring my baofeng to work to listen to pd and fd, it helps get some info faster to some of the jobs i get sent. I just bought a yaesu ft-60r today and am waiting for it to ship. i am not ham liscensed (yet), as I do not see the need, but am wondering about other uses for my radios.

I have 3 baofengs and now my yaesu is shipping, I was wondering if it is possible to give my baofengs to my friends, and to be able to program them, to a certain channel or frequency, to be able to communicate with my friends in a range of about 2-6 miles at most, privately. is that possible ? to have a private channel with friends ? thanks guys

RC286

Legally no, these radios are not part 95 approved, therefore not legally allowed to transmit on the available free MURS frequencies in the USA. Even GMRS which is requires a license in the USA, is not allowed to be used on non part 95 compliant radios. Do people do it? yes, is it legal? No. Also keep in mind no radio communication available to the average public or HAM radio operators allows encryption of any kind, so no there will be no such thing as private. Anyone tuned to the frequency can listen. Even with FRS and GMRS that have those "privacy channels" don't do anything. They are incorrectly advertised as it does not provide ANY form of privacy, all it is, is a CTCSS sub audible tone that only opens the squelch if it is present. However if a radio with the tones disabled is used, or a scanner with no tones programmed, all transmissions will be received. If you want "privacy" use a cell phone as they are encrypted.

What'sup Guys, I've been using a few baofeng radios to listen to emergency channels for about a year now, such as pd, fire, and ems. I am an emt in NYC and i bring my baofeng to work to listen to pd and fd, it helps get some info faster to some of the jobs i get sent. I just bought a yaesu ft-60r today and am waiting for it to ship. i am not ham liscensed (yet), as I do not see the need, but am wondering about other uses for my radios.

I have 3 baofengs and now my yaesu is shipping, I was wondering if it is possible to give my baofengs to my friends, and to be able to program them, to a certain channel or frequency, to be able to communicate with my friends in a range of about 2-6 miles at most, privately. is that possible ? to have a private channel with friends ? thanks guys

Privately no, the uv5r does not offer any type of privacy such as encryption or anything like that.

I can't think off any open frequencies that you can use legally with those radios, I think the cheapest thing you could do at this point is for you all to go and get a ham licence since you already have the radio, and then you can use the ham 2m or 70cm band to communicate but it still would still not be private though

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since the OP doesn't have an amateur radio license and doesn't see the need to get one, I've moved this thread to a more appropriate forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.