• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Multiple Toughbooks W/CPS Acquired

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian86

Database Admin
I have acquired 9 Toughbooks which obviously use to be Radio Tech Computers from a Gov/Business auction along with a lot of radios and other odds and ends. The questions I have are:

1: Is it legal to sell these toughbooks with the registered software already installed?

2:The Company that bought the software/laptops went out of business or disposed of these units but since the software is registered to each of these laptops does that infringe on my right to sell what I bought from this auction? Only thing I see is that the software can't be duplicated or transferred to another machine.

3: It looks like most of the software is 2012/2013 and older but includes titles such as APX, ASTRO, MCS, MTS, CP, CP185, MOTOtrbo, CDM Professional, Minitor 3,4,5,6, M/A-Com R18B, and others

This is not an offer to sell software, I am simply getting the opinion of the radio gurus out there on what I should do with these...

p.s. I am keeping one for myself haha

Last edited:

ecps92

What model Tough Book ? They do stand up !

I have acquired 9 Toughbooks which obviously use to be Radio Tech Computers from a Gov/Business auction along with a lot of radios and other odds and ends. The questions I have are:

1: Is it legal to sell these toughbooks with the registered software already installed?

2:The Company that bought the software/laptops went out of business or disposed of these units but since the software is registered to each of these laptops does that infringe on my right to sell what I bought from this auction? Only thing I see is that the software can't be duplicated or transferred to another machine.

3: It looks like most of the software is 2012/2013 and older but includes titles such as APX, ASTRO, MCS, MTS, CP, CP185, MOTOtrbo, CDM Professional, Minitor 3,4,5,6, M/A-Com R18B, and others

This is not an offer to sell software, I am simply getting the opinion of the radio gurus out there on what I should do with these...

brian86

Database Admin
Toughbook CF30 MK2 Some are silver some are all black. The have Intel Core2Duo 1.6 ghz Processors 4gb ram and from what it looks like at least this one I have been messing with has a 120gb Solid State Drive. Oh and the Touch Screen Works haha

brian86

Database Admin
Another thing I found interesting is that it is a 32bit operating system, probably on purpose to keep from having software compatibility problems that come about on 64bit systems

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

The software license I signed on MOL states that any copies must be deleted or destroyed if I no longer intend to use the software. It cannot be resold, transferred or given away to any other party without the WRITTEN permission of Motorola Solutions.

I am not familiar with MA/Com/Harris but I would ASSume that their licensing structure is similar.

So no, I would not be one re-selling it, especially after admitting that you have knowledge that the computers have software of which you have no license for, thus technically aren't supposed to be in possession of to begin with.

No, that is not correct. The software isn't "registered" to a machine, it is registered to an entity or individual who signs a license agreement. This isn't the same type of EULA that Microsoft provides where a copy of Windows can be "married" license wise to particular hardware.

Motorola CPS is licensed to company or individual. So if you are not that individual or legally authorized to represent that firm or person, than you cannot legally posses the CPS at all.

Please contact Motorola Solutions for their current CPS licensing agreement for the exact wording.

Well, since you have gotten on the world's premiere radio information website and posted screen shots of the CPS which you aren't legally authorized to have in your possession, at this point, I would format the hard drives of said Toughbooks before selling, donating or trading them off.

I would not go bragging about that on a public forum.

brian86

Database Admin
Guess the company selling this stuff should have deleted the software. I didn't agree to anyone's License Agreement / terms that's why I was asking on here. I got the computers dirt cheap anyhow so even without the software on them I will make my money back. I have gone though all the software and I can't find and Agreement info anywhere. I guess that only displays when loading the software or something?

I do thank you for all your input, but all in all I don't want to do wrong just trying to figure out what i'm going to do with these units.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I didn't agree to anyone's License Agreement / terms that's why I was asking on here.
I

You obviously knew it was licensed software and asked about it, so you can't claim ignorance. Not trying to be harsh, just sayin'.

I got the computers dirt cheap anyhow so even without the software on them I will make my money back.

Yes, those are desirable machines (would be interested in one myself if the price is right, fully wiped of course:D). I am sure you will make a hand over fist profit, especially on PAYBAY.

I have gone though all the software and I can't find and Agreement info anywhere. I guess that only displays when loading the software or something?

The agreement is something signed on paper and faxed back to Motorola, or online on a Motorola Online account. You can always go http://www.motorolasolutions.com and contact them and ask for a copy, or call them at 1-888-325-9336

I don't want to do wrong just trying to figure out what i'm going to do with these units.

I appreciate that. If I were you, just format them and sell them as such. As I said, I am sure you will make a hefty profit. Most people end up wiping a used computer anyway. I do.

ecps92

Nice...wondering if the Operating System is backed-up in them or lost via CD :roll:

Toughbook CF30 MK2 Some are silver some are all black. The have Intel Core2Duo 1.6 ghz Processors 4gb ram and from what it looks like at least this one I have been messing with has a 120gb Solid State Drive. Oh and the Touch Screen Works haha

brian86

Database Admin
I didn't see any, there was a profiles folder in the document library but nothing in the folder. I have not looked through all of them yet. I would def not hand out encryption key info but if I come across any useful codeplug data I will let you all know!

Status
Not open for further replies.