• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwfd323

I have been looking at getting my license for awhile now. I am currently in the public service field ( vol firefighter and LEO) My question is can you use a commercial radio as a ham radio? And can one be used if it is narrow banded? I want a radio that will not break the bank, so I have been looking at Wouxun KG-UV6X, KG-UV3D and Tera TR-590.

Thanks

rapidcharger

I have been looking at getting my license for awhile now. I am currently in the public service field ( vol firefighter and LEO) My question is can you use a commercial radio as a ham radio? )))

Yes. You can use a commercial radio in the ham band.
Just not the other way around.

(((And can one be used if it is narrow banded?)))

Yes but if you operate in narrowband on repeaters or with other stations that are not narrowband (ham stuff usually isnt) your audio will sound low to other stations.

((( I want a radio that will not break the bank, so I have been looking at Wouxun KG-UV6X, KG-UV3D and Tera TR-590.

I suggest you look at some used radios from the big names. There's tons of them out there suitable for your work that wont break the bank. Those budget Chinese radios are not intended for public safety use.

The KG-UV6X can be programmed for narrow or wideband on a per channel basis, your Part 90 stuff narrowband, your HAM stuff wideband. Great little radio, very good battery life, plus you can listen to two channels at the same time, maybe your dispatch channel and your favorite HAM repeater.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have been looking at getting my license for awhile now. I am currently in the public service field ( vol firefighter and LEO) My question is can you use a commercial radio as a ham radio? And can one be used if it is narrow banded? I want a radio that will not break the bank, so I have been looking at Wouxun KG-UV6X, KG-UV3D and Tera TR-590.

Thanks

As pointed out in multiple other threads, and mentioned here, the cheap Chinese radios are not something you want for public safety usage. Few, if any, are intrinsically safe, as one example.

Sent via Tapatalk

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
As pointed out in multiple other threads, and mentioned here, the cheap Chinese radios are not something you want for public safety usage.

Your portable radio is your lifeline. Both in the fire service and especially on the beat as a LEO.

You wouldn't use a garden hose bought at Wal-Mart on your fire rig, and you wouldn't use a BB gun on your duty belt when on patrol.

The ChiComm radios are nice toys but they are hardly tools. Please get something that is designed for public safety use, the lives of those you serve and protect including your own depend on it.

jim202

Most of the CHEAP off shore radios that have been brought up here are not type accepted to use on part 90 public safety frequencies.

So if you do choose to use them on the public safety frequencies, your asking for the FCC to possibly come knocking on your door for illegal operation. Last time I looked, the fine was on the order of $10,000 per violation.

SCPD

QRT
Most of the CHEAP off shore radios that have been brought up here are not type accepted to use on part 90 public safety frequencies.

So if you do choose to use them on the public safety frequencies, your asking for the FCC to possibly come knocking on your door for illegal operation. Last time I looked, the fine was on the order of $10,000 per violation.

They claim to be

rapidcharger

The KG-UV6X does appear to have a legit looking authorization for part 90 but that might mean that it must not be programmable from the front panel, something most hams want and expect to be able to do with those radios as they have VFOs. Also a part 90 grant does not automatically make it a public safety grade radio. Even from the big name brands, there are business grade radios that have part 90 grants that are not really what you'd want to use when your life, and the lives of others that depend on you, are on the line.

What I also noticed is those aren't "cheap- cheap". $150 can buy you a current production but used heavy duty radio, even a digital radio at that.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
T Also a part 90 grant does not automatically make it a public safety grade radio.

+10 to this. Even before the cheap Chicomm WOC radios arrived, years ago the lowest end of low rent radios to get part 90 certified were JobCom RT-15Cs.
These things were so low rent they didn't even use a condenser microphone but the SPEAKER element as a mike. They had a blister pack battery, soldered in place that was like what you would find in a cordless phone handset.

They would BARELY stay on frequency, had horrible front ends, and never got close to the rated power. Somehow Ritron was able to get them certified and just like the Chicomm radios of today, they sold millions.

But I would NEVER put one in the hands of ANYONE who's lives depend on them to work, EVER. I wouldn't even feel right handing one to the school janitors. Reminds me of when I was in the 8th grade and watched a RT-15C become crushed in a trash compactor at my middle school. That is the BEST THING that could ever happen to one of those.

To the O/P: please spent a little money and buy a better radio. Even new, radios like the Kenwood TK-2313/3312, or Icom IC-F2000 are miles above any of the offshore stuff, well supported, have 2 year warranties, and advanced signaling like MDC1200. The Icom is also IP67 water proof rated and even has an advanced emergency alarm which can be activated if you are not in motion, like a tilt switch. Both of these radios are full featured, fully part 90 compliant and are built much better and have superior specs to any low cost WOC Chinese radio.

Please buy the right tool for your job.

SCPD

QRT
I agree sometimes the only difference between Part 90 and Part 97 radios is frequency agility. For example the IC02AT had a Part 90 brother.

rapidcharger

I agree sometimes the only difference between Part 90 and Part 97 radios is frequency agility. For example the IC02AT had a Part 90 brother.

"Had" being the operative word.
Those old bricks were better than most modern day LMR radios to begin with but we aren't talking about the ham radios of yore. Ham radios aren't made like that any longer. The OP asked about some specific radios that aren't in the same league as the IC-02AT was.

SCPD

QRT
All I am saying is there seems to be a misconception that a Part 90 certication says something about the overall quality of a radio which it does not. If a radio meets certain spectral purity requirements and can not be caused by the operator to be operated in a manner not authorized by the station license then it can be type accepted. Most any current production Part 97 radio, if the VFO were disabled could be type accepted for Part 90. Things like IPX rating, NEMA or MIL-SPEC indicate quality of build. And many Part 97 radios are certified in one or more of these areas. Basically any service that doesn't require an operator's license in addition to a station license can't have frequency agile radios.

Last edited:

BirkenVogt

The KG-UV6X does appear to have a legit looking authorization for part 90 but that might mean that it must not be programmable from the front panel

Basically any service that doesn't require an operator's license in addition to a station license can't have frequency agile radios.

How does the BK radio get away with it, we have wondered for a very long time?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think you'll find that FPP capability was intended for federal users, and thus would fall under the NTIA, not the FCC.
Of course that FPP feature has leaked all over the place. It's a function, as I'm sure you know, that has to be activated in the programming software on most radios, or a "key" on some, or actual physical modifications on others. The idea was that it was intended to be controlled and wasn't intended for the casual user.
To meet the FCC requirements, it just needs to be disabled, which it usually is. It'll require the programming software to activate it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
How does the BK radio get away with it, we have wondered for a very long time?

A radio can be FPP and still be apart-90, IF the FPP can be locked out from the end user.

The Icom H/U-16 radios had to have a jumper set, in addition to a key sequence to access the FPP. Even though the H/U-16 radios had FPP capability they were still part 90 legit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.