• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EF Johnson vs Motorola

Status
Not open for further replies.

stantech

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to this forum stuff but have a question or two regarding FPP P-25 radios. I have an XTS-3000 & an XTS-2500 FPP both in UHF. I'm looking to get a P-25 FPP radio in the VHF band. The EF Johnson 5100 SL or ES series are much more economical than the XTS-2500 or 5K Motorolas. 1. Are the EF Johnsons a quality radio? 2. Are they comparable to Motorolas in their respective P-25 capability or should I go the extra $$$ & go with Motorola.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You posted a new question to a thread that hasn't seen any activity in 3 years so I moved your post to its own thread.

Last edited:

stantech

Premium Subscriber
It was the only EF Johnson info I could find on RR. I am old with poor vision & not computer savy. This site is anything but user friendly for us older folks. I'm sorry I broke your "rules". I won't bother with this site ever again.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Sorry to hear that. I think you would have found that this site is a wealth of knowledge.

I guess you'll never know that now.

stantech

Premium Subscriber
Too late Jaspence. I don't know how to ck for private messages here as I'm somewhat of a dinosaur compred to you guys. The help offer thought is appreciated though. I thought I'd find some useful EF Johnson info on the only forum that mentioned EF Johnson only to get reprimanded. I made a heavy investment into what I hope are radios that'll do what I want them to. Stay well.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Stan,

I am a bit perplexed. your asking for assistance on P25 front panel programmable radios, but you can't navigate the Radio Reference website ? I am not trying to sound insulting. I would hope if your in touch with P25 subscriber equipment, you could navigate this site with ease.

Maybe I am missing something.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
thought I'd find some useful EF Johnson info on the only forum that mentioned EF Johnson only to get reprimanded.

At no point were you ever reprimanded.

Your post was moved because it didn't have much to do with an old thread.

Moving it here to its own thread will hopefully get you more answers.

stantech

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure no insult was meant refering to my level of radio knowledge or lack thereof. Freq/offset/nac codes/pl tones/radar theory/ schematics I can understand. This site I don't understand.

jim202

It was the only EF Johnson info I could find on RR. I am old with poor vision & not computer savy. This site is anything but user friendly for us older folks. I'm sorry I broke your "rules". I won't bother with this site ever again.

Please stick around, don't wind yourself up over procedures on here. We don't bite, but will bend over backwards to help those that ask for help.

The EFJ company has gone through some major changes recently and it is still trying to settle down to the normal flow. This site as well as a number of others can provide a wealth of information. You just need to ask the questions.

I will say that there are a number of flavors of the EFJ radios in both portable and mobile. You will need to provide the exact model number in order to obtain the correct information. You will also need to record the 2 sets of numbers that you see on the display when you first turn the radios on. This will help identify what version of software you need to be able to program the radios with. There are a large quantity of software to go with the different versions of firmware in the radios. If you thought Motorola came out with a number of versions, I think EFJ made a habit of doing it every week for a few years. I have given up trying to keep track of the versions.

Unless you already have a radio that currently has the front panel programming feature activated, you will need a programming cable for the portables. The mobiles use a cable that plugs into the round mic connector and utilizes a level convertor box between the radio and the serial port of the computer.

There are a couple of other sites that you can be pointed to if you need additional information. Again, you need to help us help you go to the next step.

The band the radios are in in some cases will point you to which information you need to go after.

Trying not to confuse you, but I have been a long time user of EFJ radios and like I said before, I have a hard time myself keeping up with all the versions. I do have some manuals for some of the 5100 and 5300 series radios.

Just let us know exactly what you have and what you need. Will see what we can come up with.

stantech

Premium Subscriber
Thank you sir. I have repaired/programmed/modified Motorola HT-1000, HT-1250, XTS-3000, & XTS-2500 FPP UHF 1. Not to mention Vertex Standards & Horizons & a bunch (old tube rdaios) I've already forgotten. I have just purchased 2 EF Johnson FPP radios. One a newer ES model in VHF that has the Vocoder option that modern Motorola APX series, Bendix King, Relm, Cobham, & Datron radioshave to name a few. Also purchased a 5100 SL FPP in 700/800 for experimentation. I've nevrer used or worked on these radios or even held one in my hand. I'm not so sure I can buy the claim that they're the equivalent of the Motorola XTS-5000 but will find out in a few days. Also included in the purchase is the software for programming. I am wondering if my Motorola programming cables will work as Motorola, batteries & microphones are compatible & they program through the microphone port the way Motorolas are programmed. I actually have an account with Motorola but they're a real PIA when it comes to programming software & mods. I hope EF Johnson is friendlier than Motorola but I won't hold my breath. All in all I purchased 2 FPP P-25 EFJ radios for basically the price of one Motorola FPP P-25 radio with basically more algo's than waht the Motorolas are offering. I am recovering from major cardiac trama & my memory & dexterity are not what they used to be. Appreciate your help & patience. Stay well sir !!!

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not sure I can be much help, but I had about 40 EFJohnson 700-800MHz 5100's on my system at work.
We only used them in analog trunking, never did put any of them on P25.
Good solid radios and I always personally felt the programming software was easier to learn than Motorola's.
Only issue I ever had with the 5100 line was the battery contacts.

The accessory plug on the side of the radio was compatible with the Motorola Jedi line of radios. Most audio accessories were interchangeable with Motorola, if I remember correctly. Never did try swapping programming cables as I had the correct EFJohnson cable.

I know a few people that are carrying VHF 5100's every day and love them. Not the strong following the Motorola has, but still good solid radios.

stantech

Premium Subscriber
Not sure I can be much help, but I had about 40 EFJohnson 700-800MHz 5100's on my system at work.
We only used them in analog trunking, never did put any of them on P25.
Good solid radios and I always personally felt the programming software was easier to learn than Motorola's.
Only issue I ever had with the 5100 line was the battery contacts.

The accessory plug on the side of the radio was compatible with the Motorola Jedi line of radios. Most audio accessories were interchangeable with Motorola, if I remember correctly. Never did try swapping programming cables as I had the correct EFJohnson cable.

I know a few people that are carrying VHF 5100's every day and love them. Not the strong following the Motorola has, but still good solid radios.

I thank you very much for that comment sir ! I was worried about the quality of the EF Johnsons & your comment reassured me that I purchased decent radios. I knew nothing of Motorola P-25 radios a few years back, purchased an XTS-3000, third party software, cables etc. said a Hail Mary & dove into making it work. Today I take em' apart, mod, repair as needed.I looked at a few 5100 programming cables on ebay & saw different pin configurations for the same model when enlarging the photos. Which I find confusing. Can you suggest a reputable dealer that'll sell me a "working" programming cable. I have had cheap aftermarket "Motorola cables" that were thrown out. I plan on using the radios in conventional mode. If it needs trunking I'll have the fire service do the trunking as everyone else is in conventional mode here.
Again I thank you & appreciate your patience in assisting me.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not sure about after market programming cables for the 5100.
I'm sure they are out there, but I had enough radios that it made sense to purchase the OEM cables at the same time as the software.

methusaleh

I have an EFJ 5100 VHF P25 FPP radio. It is bulky but I love it. Audio is great on both TX and RX. The FPP feature is easy to learn and there are a zillion functions that can be accessed via the software. I mainly use it for amateur radio but as a call firefighter I also keep it programmed with a bank of FD frequencies "just in case"...which did happen.

The radio's durability was tested during my first structure fire in subzero weather a couple months ago. When about half of the Motorola HT1250s that my department has were literally freezing into bricks of ice (average air temperature was -14 Fahrenheit, before wind chill, spraying water, and working in knee-deep snow were taken into account), including my own issued HT1250, I took the EF Johnson radio out of my car and proceeded to abuse the heck out of it for about five hours. Not on purpose, mind you, but it was very difficult to get around the outside of the structure during the fire. The radio repeatedly fell into the snow, nearly-frozen water puddles, and onto ice. It never so much as blinked off for a moment. Meanwhile at least a couple HT1250s suffered permanent damage. Until that night, I viewed the EFJ as another one of my countless 2 meter radios. Now I see it as a very tough and useful appliance.

I use the XTS5000 at work. It, too, is a great radio, mainly aimed at the public safety market. It has too many bells and whistles that I do not need for personal use, and I bet it has a price tag to reflect that. It does feel and look similar to the EFJ, but it is not identical. The batteries and chargers are pretty much interchangeable, though I have found the battery fit tolerance to be very tight using brand new Motorola "IMPRES" type batteries on the EFJ. Since then I have learned just to leave my work batteries out of my personal EFJ radio, so I don't end up breaking one by having to pry it off.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have both Motorola xts3000 and EF Johnson 5100 radios. They do not have the same pinouts and do not share accessories. I prefer the Johnson radios due to the ease of getting software and the FPP option that is easy to use. My 800 MHz Johnson 5100 also has better decoding and sound quality on the simulcast system I monitor.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
XTS3000 and 5100 can use the same audio accessiories antennas and batteries.. I interchange them all the time. Motorola's FPP is hands down easier than EFJ's

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I did not say they didn't use the same battery or antenna. If you look at a Motorola programming cable, there are only four pins, two in each row. The 5100 has seven pins, one row of four and one row of three. The cables and connectors are the same design but the pin configurations are completely different. According to information on the Internet, the XTS3000 cannot do FPP. FPP with a XTS3000 M3 or XTS5000 M3 ?? or Batboard • View topic - XTS 3K FPP

Status
Not open for further replies.