• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Large Event Field Dispatching

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnt133

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is the right place for this, please let me know if it is not and where to post.

Now to the point, I am the a supervisor for an EMS organization in a small city and in the summer months we have multiple events that require more than 1 ambulance, bike teams, ATV teams, walking field units etc... Up until last year we had access to a mobile communications vehicle which we would use for communications at these events but it is no longer in the area, Last summer we were using multiple portable radios for communications with the units and it was inconvenient to say the least. I have looked high and low for a solution to our problem, from Mobile radios to Motorola Desksets, ComTekk software etc...the list goes on and on. I was wondering if anyone knew of any sort of console or software that is relatively cheap. We are looking for something that is capable of Alert tones, MDC paging and QCII Paging. It needs to be on the smaller size so that it can be stored and set up quick and easy. If anyone know of anything console of software please let me know as we are quickly approaching some of our events and would like to have this system in place as soon as possible.

-Brendan

bnt133

Premium Subscriber
We looked in to going that route either mounting them in to a pelican style case or in to one of the power setups but decided against that, if we were to take that route we would probably go with XTL rather than the CDM's so that we could slave a RAB tone to the emergency button to use as an alert tone. But this is a last resort.

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
Yeah a few xtl5000s seem great. I guess I'm just not seeing why they'd be last resort. Have seen lots of fire/ems command vehicles with remote head setups mounted to a panel in the trunk area and all paging needs can be met AFAIK. What's the downside to them for your use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnt133

Premium Subscriber
We already have a command vehicle with radios in the trunk, what we are looking for will be stationary either in a large pop up tent or in a trailer. We feel that if we went with the mobiles things may get a little cluttered with multiple hand mics and do not want to spend extra money on a radio switcher.

KB1UAM

You can always request mutual aid to the next city/town who has one or the next closest county who has a mobile command center. If you have the radio program with you you can easily add your frequencies into the radios they use.

jsikora

Or check with other agencies. We routinely utilize our Search and Rescue command post/comms vehicle for events not SAR related because we have multiple radio systems and operators. I know some FD/EMS providers have these also.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Mutual aid is the best choice, if one of the participating agencies doesn't have an MCV or trailer they can bring, someone nearby probably does.

In 15 years of coordinating one of the largest road races in my county, we initially did all our dispatching for all services from the county seat's van which they doubled as a command vehicle. More like a few Spectras (back then all analog) and a small desk was installed in the rear. It was a tight fit for all of us, but being at the finish line gave us a great view of the end of the course and crowd.

Later years we moved into their EOC which was miles away. While having more resources (including nice bathrooms!) was nice, being that far removed made us feel disconnected.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
How large of a geographic area do you need to cover? Would renting a repeater, and using a handheld for dispatch work?

If the events are in the same place, permanently installing a repeater could be useful.

Which sort radio system are you using for your comms?

Sent via Tapatalk

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
..how many channels would you need to communicate on? My thought will still be to mount as many xtl5000's in a cabinet/rack as necessary with desk mics (rmn50**) and use a labelmaker to stick the channel that that radio is for on the mic...would probably want to investigate an audio out option to speakers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.