• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

fireman two radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
The county I serve as a firefighter in issues Wouxun KG-UV6D two radios. The radios seem to do fine for everyday use. We don't use them for actually fighting fire. But, the antenna's seem to quit working so well after very little ordinary use. I'm using a Nagoya Na-771, 14.4inch long now. It seems to be ok but again not as good as when I first got it. I have a expertpower 14.4 ordered now for it to try it out. Can I get some recommendation's on a good antenna to order? THANKS

KB7MIB

Just a thought, if the performance has degraded over a short period of time, have your radio shop check the antenna connection to the printed circuit board inside the radios.
It's entirely possible that if you're grabbing the radio by the antenna, that you've damaged the solder joint between the antenna and the board.
I've done it a time or two with a Ham radio in the past.
Don't pick up the radio by the antenna.

John
Peoria, AZ

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Let's be honest. You are using a $40 radio for public safety use. When the Chinese busted into the ham radio market, everyone was up in arms about these "throw away" radios.

Well, here you go. You went cheap, now it doesn't work...throw it away.

I wouldn't trust one of them in any form of public safety use.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Exactly. These are cheap, disposable HOBBYIST toys not tools. You would not fight a fire with a garden hose, or expect a Johnson and Johnson first aid kit to serve as a jump bag, why would one expect a toy radio that costs $40 to be anything other that what it is.

You can't pay for pizza and beer and expect steak and ale.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I think all of us 'in the business' will tell you the same thing. Throw it away and buy a new one.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Just a thought, if the performance has degraded over a short period of time, have your radio shop check the antenna connection to the printed circuit board inside the radios...

And at the 15 minute mark on the bench, throw it away and buy a new one.

rapidcharger

That's silly. Don't throw it away! Send it in for warranty service. Surely it has a 2 or 3 year warranty, doesn't it? There must be a woxin authorized repair center to resolder the antenna connector. You paid good money for it!

Also you need to be real careful with those really long thin wire antennas for the ham rigs. That Nagoya 771 is closer to 16" and you néed to excercise caution so that you don't poke your eye out with that thing. I'm being serious. You might as well walk around with a mobile whip on there.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
That's silly. Don't throw it away! Send it in for warranty service. Surely it has a 2 or 3 year warranty, doesn't it? There must be a woxin authorized repair center to resolder the antenna connector. You paid good money for it!

Oh yeah "Wouxun authorized repair center" is located right next door to the famous AnyTone Tech USA depot in South Dakota.

yea folks I can't exactly throw it away. Like I said "the county provides them for us" so I'm having to work with what I have. Which is why I'm asking about antennas. I've looked the radio up and saw it's not worth much. So again any suggestion on antennas. I have to make the best out of a worst situation

I can't remember what them are. I'm thinking a type of Motorola. But now they are tough and work good just don't have as many channels I don't think.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking that 14" antenna is problematic for firefighters and EMTs to carry around. While that antenna is designed to give improved performance, especially at amateur radio frequencies on transmit, I suspect that is not the need for the OP's situation. Firefighters tend to carry their radios everywhere, usually on their belts. That 14" antenna is an invitation to damage as previously noted.

I'm thinking that a repair to the antenna mounting to the circuit board is in order, followed replacing that 14" spike with something that is less prone to damage. Perhaps a regular VHF or UHF (depending on which band the OP's system uses) or even a combo antenna that is somewhere around 6" in length would be better suited for this application. Even this may not prevent damage given the general build quality of the Wouxons.

I understand the County wanting to give every firefighter a two-way at the lowest possible cost, but as those of us who have been around public safety for a long time know, the super low cost solution is not always the best bargain.

I issue a Motorola CP200 to all of our EMTs, Medics, and a few of our drivers. Many of them carry their most of the time, and more than a few are also full-time EMTs or Paramedics with high volume ambulance services. We've yet to have an antenna related failure, and very few other issues either.

PACNWDude

I hope this is a volunteer station.

When I moved to a rural area, I realized that the local fire station had older equipment than the nearby city station. Granted they were both using Motorola radios, but the volunteer county station had CP200 handhelds and CDM-1550 mobiles that they also used as base station radios.

With my background, I went to the volunteer station and asked if they needed anything. They said a UHF repeater was needed in my area. I donated a GR300 Motorola repeater, and gathered funding for XTS5000 mobiles. Later they received grant money and now have better gear across the board.

If your station was in my back yard, I would donate Motorola radios, or get funding for them immediately. No fire station should be using Wouxun or Baofeng anything.

+1 to the poster who mentioned Johnson and Johnson 1st Aid kit and the like. You do not use "toys" for real world life saving equipment. I have seen Cub scout packs using better gear for comms.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
A couple of things bother me here :

1. Why would a county government entity choose to buy these radios for the type of purpose ? I can understand wanting to save a few dollars, but to put these substandard amateur grade radios in this type of use baffles me, and the county paid for it ? Ouch.

2. If you don't know what those other radios are, then it sounds like you are not in a position to be making decisions. You should take this issue up with your management/command staff. If it's truly a county owned radio, let the county radio tech handle the problem...not radio reference.

I am not trying to sound mean, but I am trying to give some stern advice here. Too may end users will try to do their own thing and violate your agency polices by not taking the proper steps to fix your problem. If your fire truck blew a transmission, would you just take it to the local shop on your own or would you report it to your Chief or equipment engineer ? Same thing here, you are issued a "radio" and it stops working. Take it up with your Chief to see about getting the problem resolved through official means.

I am sure your equipment maint person at your fire department would have his toes stepped on if you went around him to fix trucks, don't do the same thing here.

Last edited:
OK. Thanks y'all I really appreciate it, that info is a big help. And you right SteveC, my radio is pretty much on my belt when I have a belt on lol.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Few things concern me bout the original post. 1st is that his county or agency thinks 40 throw away radios are good for public safety use in any way shape or form. I will admit i own a baofeng i use it as a cheap spare scanner and for gmrs/frs occasionally that's it. I use my dept issued vertex for public safety use. That being said if the original poster wants to post what dept he is with and what frequencies they use or even just the department maybe some of us can help them get some better radios. Heck if they are uhf t band i may have a couple ht1000's we can send their way.

JoeyC

and just so the rest of us steer clear of buying real estate in said county, which county are we speaking of? :lol:

sfd119

I think the OP got the point, cheap radios aren't good. His dept gave it to them and sounds like he's going to talk to them. No need to keep beating the dead horse about how bad they are...

Status
Not open for further replies.