• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Shielded CAT6 Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisasterGuy

I am dealing with an issue with a site tenant. Does anyone have a standard reference for bonding CAT5/6 shield on a tower?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm not sure if it's covered under the TIA/EIA rules. NEC would certainly apply.

Since the big risk is lightning, the standards/practices that apply to coaxial cable would apply also.
Ground the shield near the top of the tower.
Ground the shield near the bottom of the tower.
Ground the shield where it enters the enclosure.
Ground it at the equipment.

I've got a couple of cell sites here at work that are using RRU's that I could go look at if you need photos/proof, but there isn't any guarantee that these guys did it right.
More often what we are seeing is fiber/power going up the tower. Our DAS system is fiber based, but I think the macro cells are using Cat 5/6 from the hut up to the tower.

DisasterGuy

Thanks, I figured the same that applies to coax should apply to STP. This tenant has new LTE radios on the tower connected each with a fiber pair and a couple STP runs. The only protection is some APC (appears consumer grade) surpressors at the rack and bonded to the rack with #10AWG. I am used to bonding top, every 100', base, and building exterior and then surpressing at entry MGB.

My feet with their install is that a strike has no where to go but the rack and has a fair run to get back to the MGB exposing the other racks along the way.

DisasterGuy

3ebe3f6720859e22b8f3f8ddf7f0bfd2.jpg

bf37401e0e1f7f06c7011608e1083e40.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.