• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PA to microphone wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
I have a Motorola microphone with the push to talk with a XLR 3 pin connector that I want to interface with my pa system that has a keyline for the push to talk and a separate audio input for the microphone. Any ideas? I hooked it up and played with it and just don't really know what I am doing. Any ideas what I got to do to make it work or do I need to purchase a special interface card.

Last edited:

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
no on photo I am trying to make any microphone work with this amp. The amp has a push to talk key and transmit audio line with not really sure what will work with the amp since every microphone I have used just doesn't want to play with it.

prcguy

What make/model is the PA amp? Usually they are running all the time and the PTT is in line with the mic audio to turn the mic on and off. Modern PA amps also take low impedance mics from about 200 ohms to maybe 1k ohm being a good range.

If you stick your finger in the + pin of the XLR can you get any buzz or hum?
prcguy

no on photo I am trying to make any microphone work with this amp. The amp has a push to talk key and transmit audio line with not really sure what will work with the amp since every microphone I have used just doesn't want to play with it.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
I will find out if I can I will pull it out and see if i can find any info. I am a little lost when it comes to audio on balanced and unbalanced audio. I have forgotten alot since the military et school

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I will find out if I can I will pull it out and see if i can find any info. I am a little lost when it comes to audio on balanced and unbalanced audio. I have forgotten alot since the military et school

Did the bubblehead ET A school cover much of balanced audio lines? As a skimmer, I was mostly covering unbalanced lines.

Sent via Tapatalk

prcguy

For a test just hold the XLR connector with something insulated like a piece of paper, then touch each connection in the XLR with a paper clip and see if the PA makes any hum with the volume up a little. For reference, the XLR pin 2 is audio +, pin 3 is audio - and pin 1 is the shield. If the PA was made before the 1970s it might use a different wiring.
prcguy

jackj

Is it inside?

No it doesn't have any circuitry inside I opened it up to check it out. It only has a press to talk and a mic
Some of the newer (last 30 yrs) Motorola mics have the audio preamp inside the mic element. They will usually have either a red dot or a plus (+) sign next to one of the contacts. But I've never seen a moble mic with a XLR connector, usually a 4 pin or more connector. The PTT leads are separate from the audio.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have a Motorola microphone with the push to talk with a XLR 3 pin connector that I want to interface with my pa system that has a keyline for the push to talk and a separate audio input for the microphone. Any ideas? I hooked it up and played with it and just don't really know what I am doing. Any ideas what I got to do to make it work or do I need to purchase a special interface card.
Several others have hinted or asked that you provide some concrete information. One even asked nicely for a picture.

So....

Please post a pic of the mic and connector ***AND*** the Motorola part number or model number that should be on the case some where. Motorola makes or made hundreds of different microphones for mobiles, portables, and base stations. We can't begin to give you a useful answer without knowing which mic you have.

Please give us some useful information about the amplifier as requested. Make, model number, and power rating for starters would be helpful.

If you really want some help with this, you have to give us enough concrete information to figure out how to make your project work.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
like I said it has been a long time since a or c school and don't have a lot of experience in my career with audio amps or mikes. But will get further info on the amp if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.