• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Considering buying time on an SMR system, question about eligibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Admittedly I'm a neophyte to this. I was planning to have some people do housekeeping as a short term business every now and then. Was eyeing 5 portable units on a local SMR system. I have one burning question: I understand Part 90 rules enough to know it's for business use exclusively, and SMRs have the burden of making sure activity on their system is legal, so exactly how thoroughly do they verify eligibility? Is declaring "yeah I'm going to have a few folks do housekeeping around town" sufficient enough or are SMR providers generally gonna want to see documents, maybe something like a D/B/A document? Thanks in advance

freddaniel

In most cases, a SMR will do no more than ask if your activities will be some form of business, rather than personal, such as talking to family members. The SMR may have a statement on their contract stating you [the customer] certifies your use will be for business related activities. Keep in mind many small family farms are businesses without using a d/b/a. Even a lemon-aid stand is a business, full time or part time.

celestis

In most cases, a SMR will do no more than ask if your activities will be some form of business, rather than personal, such as talking to family members. The SMR may have a statement on their contract stating you [the customer] certifies your use will be for business related activities. Keep in mind many small family farms are businesses without using a d/b/a. Even a lemon-aid stand is a business, full time or part time.
Good to know, it's kind of a pain for me when folks want to see tons of paperwork from me

Voyager

+1 on what Fred said. Nearly everything is a business - even a FD or EMS service (or as Fred said - a lemonade stand).

In some cases, even family personal communications are allowed when those involve a business. For example, talking about your son's availability for the next week. as long as it could affect your business, it's business related.

The FCC is very liberal on what is "business communications", too.

Status
Not open for further replies.