• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HP 8920A SINAD measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeMan2

I want to do some 12dB SINAD measurements using a recently purchased HP 8920A. My question is very basic but I am finding conflicting information in the documentation. I believe I understand how the measurement works but I am uncertain how to correctly connect to make the measurement using the service monitor. My understanding is that the SINAD measurement looks at the AF audio out of the receiver basically at the speaker output (or dummy 8ohm load for output that bypasses the speaker).

My question is how to connect the receiver speaker/AF out to the 8920? The 8920 Applications Handbook shows that for the SINAD measurement the receiver speaker/audio connects to the 8920 audio out. I don't get that (why the 8920 audio out port) . Elsewhere it indicates that AF/AC measurements use the 8920 audio in connector. That makes more sense to me. I would think that the receiver speaker/audio should go to the 8920 audio in, not the audio out connector. But the 8920 Applications Handbook clearly show the receiver speaker connected to the 8920 audio out BNC.

So for people that have done SINAD using a 892x, what is the correct 8920 audio port to use?

Thanks

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Well, I've done SINAD measurements with my 8920A, but it's been a while and I can't remember exactly which port I used. My hazy memory says that I used to Audio In port.

The Users Guide I downloaded from Agilent's web site shows Audio Out from the device under test connected to the "Hi" Audio In port on the 8920A (figure 1 on page 40). The description of the Audio In port on page 515 of the same manual seems to indicate that that's the port to use for audio coming into the 8920A.

But, I agree, the hookup diagram shown in the Application Guide does make you think the draftsman made a mistake.

LakeMan2

Yep thanks. It makes sense to use the audio in. It is just that after so many years you would think they would have fixed such a glaring error in the Applications Guide. The fact that they had not fixed it made me wonder if I was missing something.

To rescue161,

I really like my 8920A. I have used it to tune some duplexers and align some HTs. I found one HT that was locked narrow that I did not know was locked narrow using it. I have found it very useful for receiver/transmitter work on both HTs and a repeater, as well as tuning duplexers (notch as well as full pass reject types).

If you do look at getting one I recommend looking for one with the following options:

001---High Stability Timebase
004---Tone/Digital Signaling
013---C-Message Weighting Filter
014---6 Khz Bandpass filter
102---New Version Spectrum Analyzer

Or at least 001, 004, and 102.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Just keep in mind that the 8920 series has been out of production for several years. There is a guy in New York (Amtronix Electronic Test Equipment) who repairs and services them and he occasionally has units to sell. Also, shipping won't be cheap as they weigh 38 pounds.

If your primary need is for a spectrum analyzer with tracking generator, the Rigol DSA815-TG has gotten good reviews and can be purchased new for $1500...about what I paid for my used 8920A. And, the Rigol is a darn sight lighter and more portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.