• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Low powered UHF mobile radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
All,

I'm looking for a Part 90 compliant very low powered UHF mobile radio in the 450-470Mhz split. No more than 5 watts would be plenty, as this isn't a large location, and would be used on a golf cart. A UHF HT would work, but a mobile radio is what they want.

I haven't had much luck searching, so i'm not sure such an animal exists. Does anyone know of a Part 90 UHF mobile that can be programmed for no more than 5 watts?

toastycookies

All,

I'm looking for a Part 90 compliant very low powered UHF mobile radio in the 450-470Mhz split. No more than 5 watts would be plenty, as this isn't a large location, and would be used on a golf cart. A UHF HT would work, but a mobile radio is what they want.

I haven't had much luck searching, so i'm not sure such an animal exists. Does anyone know of a Part 90 UHF mobile that can be programmed for no more than 5 watts?

All my kenwoods can be tuned for 5 watts.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have a Yaesu VX-3 that's smaller than a pack of cigarettes (without the antenna). it works on both UHF & VHF.

According to their web site, these are the specs:

1.5 W (@ 4.5 V AA x 3 or 3.7 V FNB-82LI 144 MHz)
3 W (@ 6 V or EXT DC 144 MHz)
1 W (@4.5 V AA x 3 or 3.7 V FNB-82LI 430 MHz)
2 W (@ 6 V or EXT DC 430 MHz)

Low 0.1 W (@ 4.5 V AA x 3 or 3.7 V FNB-82LI)
Low 0.3 W (@ 6 V or EXT DC)

toastycookies

I have a Yaesu VX-3 that's smaller than a pack of cigarettes (without the antenna). it works on both UHF & VHF.

According to their web site, these are the specs:

1.5 W (@ 4.5 V AA x 3 or 3.7 V FNB-82LI 144 MHz)
3 W (@ 6 V or EXT DC 144 MHz)
1 W (@4.5 V AA x 3 or 3.7 V FNB-82LI 430 MHz)
2 W (@ 6 V or EXT DC 430 MHz)

Low 0.1 W (@ 4.5 V AA x 3 or 3.7 V FNB-82LI)
Low 0.3 W (@ 6 V or EXT DC)

The Yaesu VX-3 is not a mobile radio, it is a hand held.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Many years ago when I was licensed for GMRS I was using a lot of Icom radios. They would all do 5 watts or less:
Icom F-420S
Icom F-420
Icom F-2020
Icom F-221
Icom F-621

Find one of those and you can do what you want. The F-420's are pretty cheap, easy to program. The F-420s is a 4 channel radio that might be suited well for what you are doing.

But, looks like you've already on the trail for a TK-880. That'd be a good choice.

Rred

This really is a job for an h/t and a power cord. Drop it in the cup holder or Velcro it on the dash and you're done. No need for a bigger box, really.

byndhlptom

LP UHF Mobile

There are some practical reasons for a mobile over a handheld.....

1- Mobile is mounted to cart, harder to drop, remove, kick, etc. also a little harder to lose (have walk off, etc.)

2- with an external antenna, range is better (or you can use lower power)

3- Most people are more comfortable using a hand mike rather than a handheld

4- Powered from the cart battery (usually recharged nightly/regularily)

5- Most mobiles have noticeably louder speaker audio

$.02

Years ago, I worked on a number of Motorola radios at warehouses, malls, pharmacological manufacturers, chemical plants, refineries, etc. They would be on forklifts, golf carts, dumpster trucks, etc., that only worked within a contained area. There was an animal for low-power industrial use. It had a D04 model prefix. I saw that as recent as a Maxtrac. Then narrowbanding killed all of that off.

I'm not very familiar with the new stuff, but I pulled up a few product sheets and found many from several manufacturers can operate between 1 - 25 Watts out on UHF. You can even find configurations where there are limited number of channels. I am sure that Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, Vertex, and others can meet your requirements.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Motorola XPR-5550's come in two power ranges. The low power version (1-25w) would fit your needs.

n5ims

All,

There's always the low-end market (yes, Chinese made radios and we don't want the usual bashing, we already know you hate them!). Small, low power output, low power drain, cheap, etc. And yes, many are Part-90 certified (but verify this since many also are not).

One example is the Leixen LX VV-898 - LEIXEN LX VV-898 Dual Band VHF/UHF 136-174/400-470MHz 10W Two Way Radio Mobile Transceiver - Main Trading Company. (FCC Cert - http://www.miklor.com/VV898/pdf/VV898_Grant.pdf). It's small (120x90x40mm - not sure what that is in American, but not much larger than the typical hand - OK, I got curious, 4.75" X 3.5" X 1.5") and only one (4 watts out) or two amps (10 watts out) on transmit. No service plan really needed, just buy some extra as spares and end up paying less than a single new radio.

Yes, it's dual band, but so what, you can limit where it will go by only programming in the channel or channels you want and restrict the radio to only those. You could even program your channel(s) with both low and high power, just in case you run into signal strength issues.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
If looking for an analogue mobile that can be turned down to 5w, look at the TK-880g, TK-8180K or TK-860 from Kenwood. All these radios come in 5-25w versions. It's easy to find software.

kb4mdz

Vertex VXR-1000 is a mobile cross-band repeater, 5 watts maximum, and up to 16 channels. It also can be used as a straight mobile radio. 5/2.5/1.0/0.5 watts, front panel mic jack, 16 position channel switch on front. 1" H x 4.4" W x 5.4" D. Available UHF or VHF.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
It may get wet in a golf cart. There are IP67 handhelds but I have yet to see a part 90 IP67 mobile radio.

I would love to find one for my farm tractor as well.

It may get wet in a golf cart. There are IP67 handhelds but I have yet to see a part 90 IP67 mobile radio.

I would love to find one for my farm tractor as well.

How about a motorcycle radio? They're supposed to be gasketed heavily enough to withstand environmental exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.