• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Portable Area Communication Repeaters (PAC-RT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Never used one of those specifically, but there are lots of similar products out there. Still very popular way of doing things. Calif. Highway Patrol uses this in almost all their vehicles.
Pyramid makes newer versions, including P25 vehicular repeaters.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I had a bunch of PAC-RT's many years ago, VHF and UHF.

Worked well back in the day.

The VRS superseded the PAC-RT and the VRS was superseded by the DVRS.

Other manufacturers such as Pyramid and FutureComm offer similar products.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Vertex makes (or used to) a much simpler (and less expensive) vehicular repeater that connects to your mobile radio and can be used with nearly any type of handheld. If you operate on VHF, you'll need a UHF version, or vice-versa if you operate on UHF. I forget the model number, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

John AC4JK

RFI-EMI-GUY

The closest replacement for the PAC-RT was the Pyramid SVR-200. Bear in mind these are primarily crossband vehicle extenders . They are not self contained portable repeaters , though you could make one with a pair.

mformby

Vehicular repeater

The Vertex VXR1000 works great as a cross-band vehicular repeater. I sold a lot of them with no problems. Antenna placement on the vehicle is critical to prevent internal interference.

Vertex Standard | VXR-1000

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Has this technology ceased being used or has it been replaced? If so, by what?

I have a similar, yet different application for this, but everything I see online is kinda old

PAC-RT Vehicular Repeater System (H14TTY for HT220), page 126

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/manuals/pac-rt-h13tty3110a-6881010c06-b.pdf

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
You're showing two different solutions for two different problems.

The PAC/RT was simply an extender. You yanked the portable out of the convertacom, and the portable only had to make it back to the car. The car relayed the handheld with the better antenna and larger battery (and amp).

The flyaway kit in the box we used for problems when we went somewhere not covered by a legacy system. Others use them for search and rescue, and temporary events. Half the time someone put it on a table, and used the local mike, and just snaked a magmount as high as they could get it, but they worked best when a flunkie got dropped on the top of a building or mountain with it.

WHCA and the USSS have a teeny one based off the old lunchbox that is pretty cool, does astro P25 and encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.