• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SoCal General Radio License (PG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

inlandpatch

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I am looking into getting a license for General Radiotelephone Operator and looking at the FCC website the only classes that are available for me to take would be in Northern California. Does anyone know if there are classes in Sothern California? I am looking for a job in the radio industry but don't have any experience installing and hoping this certification would help the process along.

Also if any classes locally in the following:
General Radiotelephone Operator License issued by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), or the equivalent NABERS, APCO or other certificate accepted as standard by the industry.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You could contact the W5YI VEC. They give General Radio Telephone exams and might know of some classes. Failing that get a study guide. I got a First Class Radio Telephone license in 1972. These have been superseded by the General Radiotelephone. Not a difficult exam, but very long. Comparable to the amateur Advanced or Extra exams in terms of theory. In those days you took the exam at the FCC in Los Angeles.

prcguy

I agree in contacting the W5YI group to see if there are any examiners in your area. In my opinion, GROL classes or passing the GROL will not give you much if any experience in installing equipment. That is best done with a mentor who is an expert in the field, or with lots of general mechanical and electrical experience and a few years of trial and error, and hopefully not at a customers expense.

I started installing mobile equipment as a hobby about the time I learned how to drive and eventually got a job as a 2-way radio/car stereo installer in my late teens. I had a lot of mechanical, electrical, fabrication and two way radio experience before entering the professional install field.

After a few years of mostly successful installs and learning a lot from other more experienced installers, I eventually became the install manager of a chain store training new installers and fixing their mess ups. I can't imagine repeating my 1970s carrear path these days sometimes using a customers vehicle as a guinea pig. You should really have an experienced person teach you how to work on modern vehicles, their a lot more complex than the simple 1970s and 80s vehicles I worked on.
prcguy

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Also, there are several on-line study sites for the FCC GROL (or there were about 5 years ago). I studied for about six weeks and then found a local proctor and took an on-line exam. Had my license in about another 10 days.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.