• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1)TYT-TH-9800 & 3 UV8000E - Dayton, Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanohio1

Premium Subscriber
Hello I have the following equipment but I wanted to make sure that I am not doing anything illegal. I have searched for hours and it does not seem like I need a license to operate. I also checked the manufacturer's forums and called a local company that does 2-way. Just doing my due-diligence.

I intend to use the main mobile unit in crossband mode. My main concern is programming and using the correct repeaters in my area. Do I use them or do I not? Is there a standard frequency I need to be using? or is there ones I should not be using? I found the local repeaters in my area and wondering if I use those numbers? Or maybe I am overthinking this and do not need to use repeaters for going handheld to handheld.

Please advise or a place I can find more info. Thanks in advance for your help

scanohio1

Premium Subscriber
Well first thing, are you licensed?

I am not. I purchased the equipment and was told that I need not be to use. Also I purchased on advice from several organizations (one has over 40 radios in use) that use them and are not licensed. Also I called a local company that deals with 2 way rf radios and they told me I did not need licensing to use these. That's why I am inquiring

prcguy

Oh boy, what 2-way radio company told you they don't need a license to use these radios? The two radios you have are intended for the Amateur Radio Service and you need at least a Technician level license to transmit on them. Your transmissions must be confined within the amateur bands for the level of license you hold. As a licensed Amateur Radio Operator you can only transmit to other licensed Amateur Radio Operators.

The Amateur Radio Service is a great hobby and the level of license needed to operate your radios is not difficult to get, but if you bought them to talk with other friends without licenses or for business use, you can't do that. The Dayton area is a Mecca for Amateur Radio and there are lots of people in your area who would be happy to help you get a license. They would also be quick to find you and turn you in for operating the radios without a license.

If getting an Amateur Radio license is something that interests you then let us know and we'll be happy to get you started. If not and if you bought the radios from a local dealer I would suggest visiting them and possibly returning the radios for a different type that does not require a license like for the FRS or MURS service, otherwise lots of people here would like to know the name of that dealer.
prcguy

I am not. I purchased the equipment and was told that I need not be to use. Also I purchased on advice from several organizations (one has over 40 radios in use) that use them and are not licensed. Also I called a local company that deals with 2 way rf radios and they told me I did not need licensing to use these. That's why I am inquiring

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
To put the situation as clearly and simply as possible, aside from MURS and FRS, you are required to hold the appropriate license for any other frequencies!

This is completely aside from the need for the equipment to be certified by the FCC for the planned frequencies to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.