• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radios That Do Cap+ Or Con+ Other Than Motorola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Are there any other brands other than Motorola to get a radio that will do Cap+ Or Con+ trunking? There's a lot of DMR radios, but none of em seem to do trunking. Why?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Cap+ and Con+ are proprietary. They "might" license them to someone else, but I doubt it.

Lots of other DMR radios do trunking, just not Cap+ or Con+. Tier 3 is the DMR trunking standard.

CanesFan95

That's a bummer. I thought DMR was an open thing where greedy companies can't patent it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
No other brands do Con+ or Cap+.

There are a bunch of manufacturers that do Tier 3(Cap+ and Con+ are NOT tier 3 compatible) Tait, Hytera, and Simoco are three that come to mind that do Tier 3 trunking. Motorola Capacity Max(I think it is) can be tier 3 compatible.

CanesFan95

Then why are so many customers buying Cap+ and Con+? They are falling right into Motorola's monopoly. Doesn't that defeat the whole point of an open standard with fair competition?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Then why are so many customers buying Cap+ and Con+? They are falling right into Motorola's monopoly. Doesn't that defeat the whole point of an open standard with fair competition?
People fall for the brand name. I am working for a client that has a Motorola linked Con+ system with XPR6550 and XPR4550 subscribers. Sadly they could have saved a boatload and gone Simoco or Tait, and got a much better product in the end.

Sadly Motorola is circling the drain, hopefully Hytera and Tait put them out to pasture in the DMR market.

RayAir

About 8 out of 10 DMR systems in my area are Motorola. The others are Hytera and use conventional repeater pseudo-trunk.

Hytera also offers eXtended Pseudo Trunk (similar to Capacity Plus) and tier 3 trunking.

I set up a local Hytera repeater with Pseudo Trunk and AES256. The only feature it lacks is authentication. XPT systems have authentication options and in the latest firmware I think conventional repeaters now have an option similar to RAS.

Hopefully Hytera gets a much larger footprint in NA.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Does TAIT not do those they claim on their website interopabilty
For P25 they are interoperable with Astro 25. DMR they stay to the standards for the most part.

About 8 out of 10 DMR systems in my area are Motorola. The others are Hytera and use conventional repeater pseudo-trunk.

Hytera also offers eXtended Pseudo Trunk (similar to Capacity Plus) and tier 3 trunking.

I set up a local Hytera repeater with Pseudo Trunk and AES256. The only feature it lacks is authentication. XPT systems have authentication options and in the latest firmware I think conventional repeaters now have an option similar to RAS.

Hopefully Hytera gets a much larger footprint in NA.

I've yet to hear of a working Tier III solution from Hytera. It's not the out of the box solution Hytera claims. I always liked the way Simoco approached system access in Tier II as it must've been designed by an IP network engineer. Gives you the option to whitelist or blacklist IDs.

Motorola is the name brand. The old addage, no one ever got fired for buying Motorola (mostly true). Capacity Plus was a great idea when Motorola owned the US DMR market as it made sense for individual businesses to have a scalable pseudo-trunk. Connect Plus was and is their high end trunking format for DMR I'd is really only practical for airtime systems. I think Capacity Max was released in the US as they felt they were loosing opportunities from the Tier III vendors but it sits somewhere between the two others. Still really geared at airtime or utilities though.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I think Capacity Max was released in the US as they felt they were loosing opportunities from the Tier III vendors but it sits somewhere between the two others. Still really geared at airtime or utilities though.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Not just in the US. More and more system buyers are requiring a standards based network.

Manitoba Hydro bought a DMR system. Motorola was disqualified from bidding(Tait won the contract) because they did not have a tier 3 compliant option at the time. I have heard they have been disqualified from bidding on other DMR networks in other countries as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.