• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Relm Portables

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpetraglia

I have been working with a rep pricing a KNG P800. We finally got all the details worked out. I had the one important question about receive only programming. It has been stated here that it was able to be programed in software. The answer I got was straight from the factory. It CANNOT be programmed to access a TRUNKED system without a system key. It can be for conventional and P25 conventional. I just wanted to pass this along so no one wastes their time. It took me three days of emails and phone calls to get everything set up. Quite disappointing.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I'm not very Relm savvy, but I "believe" it takes a certain (now discontinued) version of software to accomplish what you want to do.

cpetraglia

That might be true. But I would sure need some hard proof before I dumped the $3300.00 I was quoted for the radio. And then where would one get hold of the software?

cpetraglia

I'm not very Relm savvy, but I "believe" it takes a certain (now discontinued) version of software to accomplish what you want to do.
My thread says it was moved. Can you tell me why and where? I was hoping someone may have had some other information about this.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
My thread says it was moved. Can you tell me why and where? I was hoping someone may have had some other information about this.

I didn't move it, but I'd imagine it's because it pertains to a professional radio and not a scanner.

ETA...

Which is where I should have moved it, but I completely missed that is was posted in the scanner forums originally.

Last edited:

DanRollman

Database Admin
I have been working with a rep pricing a KNG P800. We finally got all the details worked out. I had the one important question about receive only programming. It has been stated here that it was able to be programed in software. The answer I got was straight from the factory. It CANNOT be programmed to access a TRUNKED system without a system key. It can be for conventional and P25 conventional. I just wanted to pass this along so no one wastes their time. It took me three days of emails and phone calls to get everything set up. Quite disappointing.

This is not true at all. You got some bad information (perhaps whoever you spoke with at the "factory" is misinformed, unfortunately). I run the latest version of the KNG P800 programming software and firmware for my radios, and programming for receive-only does NOT require a system key. I don't even have any way to create a system key. PM me off list and I can refer you to both a Relm sales manager and a Relm engineer who are very experienced in this.

Dan

DanRollman

Database Admin
That might be true. But I would sure need some hard proof before I dumped the $3300.00 I was quoted for the radio. And then where would one get hold of the software?

Unlike Motorola, Relm's software is nothing to "get hold of". They'll gladly sell you the CD for a fair price (no annual subscription BS). And software updates are free on their website.

Dan

DanRollman

Database Admin
This is not true at all. You got some bad information (perhaps whoever you spoke with at the "factory" is misinformed, unfortunately). I run the latest version of the KNG P800 programming software and firmware for my radios, and programming for receive-only does NOT require a system key. I don't even have any way to create a system key. PM me off list and I can refer you to both a Relm sales manager and a Relm engineer who are very experienced in this.

Dan

Also, please let me know who at "the factory" you spoke with. I'd like to let my contacts at Relm know so they can deal with this internally.

Thanks,
Dan

DanRollman

Database Admin

Not true. RX-Only (with NO system key required) was added in NeoVision software version 2.1.0 (November 2, 2014) with Firmware Version 5.2.0, and continues to work just fine to this day in current firmware 5.4.0c and Neovision version 2.4.0 for my two KNG-P800 P25 Phase II trunking scanners. I have a total of 16 systems, 33 sites and 787 talkgroups programmed and receiving well on these radios, with no system key access. I don't even have any way to create a system key. I've never even heard of a Relm system key generator being available in the wild (I could be wrong on that).

See http://www.relmservice.com/Firmware/Files/KNG_Firmware_Notes_5.4.0c.pdf.

Scroll down to 5.2.0 on page 6, where this feature first appeared: "P25 Trunking: RX‐only monitor."

This is an important feature to a number of RELM public safety customers who want to be able to monitor neighboring agencies that do not share system keys. RX-only is a SYSTEM level setting. The software stops asking for a system key once you check the "Rx Only" option below the "Coverage Type" field in the P25 Trunking/General tab for a particular system.

I'm sorry that the OP received bad information from a dealer or a CSR who isn't sufficiently familiar with this feature (but I've offered to provide the e-mail addresses for a sales rep and a software engineer (both with @relm.com email addresses) if anyone would like to discuss with KNOWLEDGEABLE Relm employees before making a purchase of these great radios).

I obviously don't work for Relm, but acquiring these two KNG-P800s (expensive as they were) was by far the single best decision I've made in the course of my 25+ year scanner listening "career," so I confess that I'm a bit of an "evangelist" on this point now.

Of course, I like my Unication G5 too. Just not nearly as much as my KNG-P800 radios.

Dan

DanRollman

Database Admin
http://forums.radioreference.com/oh...um/343546-unication-g4-receiver-marcs-ip.html

See post 15 and below. Another RR user using a Relm KNG P-800 for P25 trunking monitoring without a system key. I know of perhaps 6 other people I've referred who made the plunge as well (though I'm not familiar with "gtaman") - one in Colorado who was (is) a Unication G5 owner but wanted something that sounded even better and worked on Phase II.

Dan

JASII

Memory Capacity
Dan,

How many talkgroups can the RELM scan at a time?

Jim

cpetraglia

http://forums.radioreference.com/oh...um/343546-unication-g4-receiver-marcs-ip.html

See post 15 and below. Another RR user using a Relm KNG P-800 for P25 trunking monitoring without a system key. I know of perhaps 6 other people I've referred who made the plunge as well (though I'm not familiar with "gtaman") - one in Colorado who was (is) a Unication G5 owner but wanted something that sounded even better and worked on Phase II.

Dan
I sent you a PM. Also I don't see a post 15. Stops at 14.

Chuck

cpetraglia

I wanted to follow up with everyone here. After all the miss information I got when attempting to get a quote on the Relm KNG P800, it IS after all programmable in a receive mode only. I want to thank DanRollman for pointing me in the right direction. I was put in touch with a regional sales person with Relm and learned a lot about the KNG series radios. I have placed my order and am awaiting my new portable. Mike at Relm said anyone interested is welcome to contact him via his email. mtodd@relm.com Please allow him time to respond as he has to prioritize his Public Safety customers.
Chuck

cpetraglia

Lets put it this way, he saved me a bunch off my best other quote. I am not going to put out a dollar amount. I would contact Mike and let him do the pricing. All I can suggest is you get a quote from a few others and you will not be disappointed with Mike. He is busy, so be patient. I also should note that there is currently a factory promotion on the P800. The lower price wont last forever. Also there is a whole list of other stuff you need to make it work. I'll be happy to share my experience if you PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.