• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is there a radio band for P25 digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker7

So I looked around and the only band I seem to be able to use digital on is the amateur band but it's a very limited band, are there any other bands that I can use P25 digital on? Or is it possible to get a business license or something for a band so I can use digital?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

clbsquared

It's used in VHF, UHF, 700,800,900 MHz. If you want to get an FCC license for a business and use digital, I would suggest DMR. Anything P25 is going to be expensive.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

nd5y

P25 and other digital modes are not allowed on MURS, FRS or GMRS.
There are no other frequencies that you can use a P25 radio on without being licensed.
Who do you want to talk to?

For information on eligibility for a business license go to:
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Scroll down to and click on:
Subpart C—INDUSTRIAL/BUSINESS RADIO POOL
§90.31 Scope.
§90.33 General eligibility.
§90.35 Industrial/Business Pool.

Those spell out who can get a business radio license.

Then scroll down to and click on:
Subpart N—OPERATING REQUIREMENTS

That specifies what types of communications are allowed and not allowed.

beaker7

It's used in VHF, UHF, 700,800,900 MHz. If you want to get an FCC license for a business and use digital, I would suggest DMR. Anything P25 is going to be expensive.

Well I was looking at MotoTRBO, but like is there a portion other than ham radio I can use the dmr digital part? Or how do I, an induvidual apply for a business license to use digital other than on the ham band?

Thanks

beaker7

There are no other frequencies that you can use a P25 radio on without being licensed.

For information on eligibility for a business license go to:

Scroll down to and click on:
Subpart C—INDUSTRIAL/BUSINESS RADIO POOL
§90.31 Scope.
§90.33 General eligibility.
§90.35 Industrial/Business Pool.

Those spell out who can get a business radio license.

Then scroll down to and click on:
Subpart N—OPERATING REQUIREMENTS

That specifies what types of communications are allowed and not allowed.
OK, so I just want to use either P25 or MotoTRBO DMR for personal as well as friend to friend communication, do you think it's feasible to get a license for that?

Thanks for the help!

clbsquared

Unless you're setting up your own private system and purchasing a fleet of radios, there's no other option to communicate on anything but the HAM bands.

beaker7

Unless you're setting up your own private system and purchasing a fleet of radios, there's no other option to communicate on anything but the HAM bands.

That really sucks, I guess the old timers will have to deal with us invading on there VHF frequencies.

beaker7

Start a club, get the proper license and communicate away.

Like a ham club or just a radio club? I have around 4-6 people that would be interested in joining that kind of club maybe more if I asked around.

nd5y

OK, so I just want to use either P25 or MotoTRBO DMR for personal as well as friend to friend communication, do you think it's feasible to get a license for that?
If all you want is personal communications then you and your friend should get GMRS licenses. All you do is fill out an online form and pay $65 or whatever they charge now.

Getting a business license and frequency coordination costs way more than that and may limit the locations where you can use the radios.

Why do you think you need P25 or DMR?

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin

MURS is the only un-licensed service other then 900 MHz ISM that allows for Digital Modes, but not Digital Voice.

(e) No GMRS or CB transmitter shall employ a digital modulation or emission.

(j) A MURS transmitter must transmit only emission types A1D, A2B, A2D, A3E, F2B, F1D, F2D, F3E, G3E. Emission types A3E, F3E and G3E include selective calling or tone-operated squelch tones to establish or continue voice communications. MURS transmitters are prohibited from transmitting in the continuous carrier mode.

This would include
8K10F1D - P25 Phase I C4FM data
8K30F1D - NXDN 12.5 Data
4k00F1D - NXDN 6.25 Data

Technically DMR would not be allowed on MURS since it's emission code doe not fall under those listed in part 95.631.
7K60FXD - 2-slot DMR (Motorola MOTOTRBO) TDMA data
7K60FXE - 2-slot DMR (Motorola MOTOTRBO) TDMA voice

MURS Use Outlined

Emission Types

Quick Chart of Emission Codes
Emission Designator - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

clbsquared

Like a ham club or just a radio club? I have around 4-6 people that would be interested in joining that kind of club maybe more if I asked around.
The short answer...yes. The best way for you to do that? I'm not sure. My dealings with the FCC are only for Industrial/ Business. You need to find some local clubs or take the advice from nd5y

nd5y

As far as I know there are no P25 or DMR capable radios that are Part 95J certified for MURS use or Part 15 certified for ISM frequencies.

beaker7

If all you want is personal communications then you and your friend should get GMRS licenses. All you do is fill out an online form and pay $65 or whatever they charge now.

Getting a business license and frequency coordination costs way more than that and may limit the locations where you can use the radios.

Its not a matter of need P25 or preferably DMR I suppose, we like what it has to offer and the definite advantages to digital.

clbsquared

To add to this. Unless you have a legitimate business purpose for obtaining a business license, the FCC will most likely deny your application and direct you to GMRS and MURS.

ecps92

Not so, anyone can apply, there is no scrutiny if your a Store Front Business or a Home Run...

Easy to get a license, with Coordination. And even with Nationwide use

The problem will be getting a good site for Coverage to house a Repeater, unless everyone is in close proximity and simplex will work.

To add to this. Unless you have a legitimate business purpose for obtaining a business license, the FCC will most likely deny your application and direct you to GMRS and MURS.

clbsquared

Not so, anyone can apply, there is no scrutiny if your a Store Front Business or a Home Run...

Easy to get a license, with Coordination. And even with Nationwide use

The problem will be getting a good site for Coverage to house a Repeater, unless everyone is in close proximity and simplex will work.
I believe I said "legitimate business purpose". Unless you're referring to John and Jane Q Public falsely stating they own a business, solely for the intent of acquiring an FCC license and frequencies from the industrial/business pool.

beaker7

But then you aren't supposed to use digital on those frequencies. Which at this point using digital on those might be my only option. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.