• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Test Equipment Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronvan

I will make a recommendation to my boss on a new service monitor that handles both DMR and P25. Is there a site with reviews of telecommunication test equipment? There are some sites for amateurs but not directed at the industry. Right now the Freedom R8100 is looking good but I'd like some other options.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
My issued monitor is a R8000B (likely going to upgrade it to an R8000C). When I was a MR for GD I had an R8000A. Probably on of the easiest monitors to use right now. I haven't been overly impressed with the Aeroflex monitors...espeically their insitance that all of the Demod/Meter/Antenna/RF Gen ports be TNC and not BNC like every service monitor manufactured for the last two decades. Literally some of the most difficult monitors to run.

12dbsinad

Have always used IFR/Aeroflex. I use a 3920 a lot, it's decent. Unless I need to look at something using analog instrumentation, then I break out the good ol' IFR 1200S.

I had an Aeroflex 8800 for a few months, the boot up time was about 4 minutes, although I think they have
a firmware update that improves that.

I had problems with the touch screen on the 8800 but I have dry fingers, when I got finger printed on the live scan system they had problems getting a good scan, so it might just be me.

I think the power supply for the 8800 was bulkier than the Freedom 8000 but I'm going off memory from the last time I use the 8000, that was at IWCE in 2015. The squelch and vol knobs on the 8000 are too close to the enter button.

aaronvan

We have an Aeroflex IFR 2975, an Agilent 8920, and an IFR 1200; all fairly old. It's hard to get some of the older service monitors calibrated these days.

RFI-EMI-GUY

We have an Aeroflex IFR 2975, an Agilent 8920, and an IFR 1200; all fairly old. It's hard to get some of the older service monitors calibrated these days.

I have an 8920B and it works just fine. Just got through setting deviation balance on a few CVSD DES radios and it works fine. If you read the manuals for many digital radios, you can still make adjustments using an analog instrument as long as you know what you are doing. If you are doing a huge volume of radios of same type, you may find you need some sophisticated automation.

Status
Not open for further replies.