• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radios for Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

boernegang

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I’m not sure this is the right place for his question, admins please move or remove if necessary.

What is the best/least expensive solution for a Church wanting to use two way radios for communications?? From what I have researched a repeater and licensing those frequencies is quite expensive. With the recent incidents at some Church’s having a team of volunteers to watch over the congregation is becoming more of a necessity.

I have been told that using “CCR”s is illegal. What would it take to make it legal??

I am not trying to start another debate on the CCR posts, I’m simply asking what does a Church do to make it legal.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Check out the Motorola DTR radios (410, 550, 650). They cost a little more than CCRs but are legally license free in the 900 mHz band, offer very good range based upon user reports, and are much more secure and less susceptible to malicious interference than conventional FM portable radios such as are used in MURS, FRS, or Part 90 radios.

paulears

If the radios are on a small site, then there really is no need for repeaters and clever facilities, so the usual low power and cheap radios would seem to do the trick. All the things people complain about them not doing would seem to not matter. Comms over a short distance doesn't need repeaters high power and expensive licences.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
FRS radios would be an inexpensive option, perhaps something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Walkie-Talkie-Two-Way-Headsets/dp/B00VIVXV88/

These radios have an earpiece with them, which you may find helpful in a church service. No license is required. Note, however that the "16 mile range" is not realistic. Like popnokick said, they are not as secure as other radios, though.

lmrtek

FRS radios sold at every outdoor store will work just fine.
FRS channels are pretty empty these days since all the little kids have
thousand dollar smart phones and ipads.

DHAS12

I would think MURS would be a good choice. You can get slightly more range out of MURS that you can FRS, and you are less likely to run into other users in my experience.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Hear is the plain facts FSR use for SECURITY is no good. Anybody can go to WalMart spend $20 and defeat your security. FSR or any cheap radio is like using a band aid to fix a arm that has been cut off. If it is security you want buy cameras and see all entry points buy $400 radios with basic encryption and get an FCC Simplex License now you see your comms is secure.

kb4mdz

Hear is the plain facts FSR use for SECURITY is no good. Anybody can go to WalMart spend $20 and defeat your security. FSR or any cheap radio is like using a band aid to fix a arm that has been cut off. If it is security you want buy cameras and see all entry points buy $400 radios with basic encryption and get an FCC Simplex License now you see your comms is secure.

Well, how much of the Security Team's use of radio is getting response from other members to go to a one spot in a hurry, and how much is keeping sensitive information away from a 'bad guy'?? I'd wager dollars to donuts that most bad guys who are going to attack a church aren't going to plan ahead far enough to wonder 'oooh, what if the security team has radios?? I better find out what they have & what frequency they use, so I can eavesdrop on them and be one step ahead of them.'

No, most crooks are not that good at planning.

The team really doesn't need to be called just Security, but Safety & Security - first aid from trips & falls, or other medical emergencies, child lost on the way back from the bathroom, etc, heart attacks, etc. Heck, in Wake County, NC, there is approximately 1 heart attack each Sunday during church services, among all the churches & services in the county.

FRS can be OK for this; I would just prefer to put my money & life in the hands of something a little more physically robust, that won't fall to pieces if you happen to drop it. That is one of the main advantages of a commercial handheld radio.

Rant off.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Just shows why I work in Security and you do not.
#1. All Church shootings have been held at NO CARRY POSTED PROPERTY.
#2. All Mass shootings have taken place at a NO CARRY POSTED PROPERTY.
These places have been picked for a reason. The shooter is looking for a place where there is no defense.
I am not going to these places asking for their money. They are calling me and asking for these things to be done.
#1 Access Control
#2 Video Cameras
#3 Secure Radio Communications. Referred to local KENWOOD DEALER.

SCPD

QRT
Check out the Motorola DTR radios (410, 550, 650). They cost a little more than CCRs but are legally license free in the 900 mHz band, offer very good range based upon user reports, and are much more secure and less susceptible to malicious interference than conventional FM portable radios such as are used in MURS, FRS, or Part 90 radios.

I like this option better for close comms. While murs is cheaper and free, these DTR give privacy and you will avoid the harassment or hassle issues which could occur. I'm not saying it would but I think in long run this would be a better option though just slightly upfront cost of the radios.

We all see time and time again the wal mart murs stories or trolling that occurs on murs. I think the church would like this idea better not having to worry of eavesdropping or intentional interference.

SCPD

QRT
While I agree with you budd, I think he wants to try a license free option and be within the legal specs of not having additional costs.

While it would be ideal to pay and get a license for simplex and use a kenwood, icom with basic privacy they may be in a budget or not want to worry of additional costs.

His best bet is to follow either your advice or the DTR method free secure method if those are programmed properly aside from default out of the box.

If he wants to not bother with the licensing or go through a dealer, shop to pay for licensing or frequencies DTR would be ideal if it is a small enough property, larger your suggestion would be more ideal.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
With the recent incidents at some Church’s having a team of volunteers to watch over the congregation is becoming more of a necessity.

Sounds like a group of armed whackers to me. I hope your congregation's insurance is paid up.

I would invest in a dozen 5 watt Baofeng UV-5R walkie talkies with extra batteries. Set them on a MURS frequency. Use CTCSS tones so the squelch doesn't break when no one is talking. Legal? No. But no one will ever know as long as you're not causing interference to another user.

The "bad guy" is not going to stake out your church with a scanner. That kind of "bad guy" has better things to do.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What is the best/least expensive solution for a Church wanting to use two way radios for communications?? From what I have researched a repeater and licensing those frequencies is quite expensive. With the recent incidents at some Church’s having a team of volunteers to watch over the congregation is becoming more of a necessity.

The amount of area you need to cover has a lot to do with what will work and what won't. If it's a small church, a couple of FRS radios will cover the area just fine. If you are talking about one of the stadium sized mega-churches, you might need something different. It would be impossible for anyone to make a valid recommendation without knowing a few more details.

Budget plays in, too. How much money you have to spend will also impact what you can do.

I have been told that using “CCR”s is illegal. What would it take to make it legal??

Many of them do not have the proper FCC type certification to use anywhere other than the amateur radio bands. Using non-type accepted radios, wether it be on FRS, MURS, GMRS or Part 90 channels would technically be a violation. Some will tell you "you won't get caught", but I'd hope a church would try to do things above board.

There are plenty of legal solutions out there, and if done with some thought, they can be affordable.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I also recommend the Motorola DTR radios. They will last longer. https://wwww.factoryoutletstore.com...BMhoFtH083MO2uyRA9Z6E4W--R3VH3vBoCapgQAvD_BwE

Professional Two Way Radio
License-Free
25 Floor / 300,000 Sq. Ft. Coverage Area
1 Watt
Up to 25 Groups & Up to 100 Private Contacts
One-to-One (private) Calling, Group (one-to-many) Calling
Long Battery Life
Military Grade
- Dust Proof
- Vibration
- Shock Proof
Wide Range of Accessories for Enhanced Communication
Caller ID, Recent Call List & Group Scan
Cloning Capability via Software
Polycarbonate Housing
Manager Lock

Voyager

Many of them do not have the proper FCC type certification to use anywhere other than the amateur radio bands. Using non-type accepted radios, wether it be on FRS, MURS, GMRS or Part 90 channels would technically be a violation. Some will tell you "you won't get caught", but I'd hope a church would try to do things above board.

Many of the CCRs do have FCC TA for Part 90. But few have the security recommended. (but some even have that).

"Won't get caught" has a way of coming up and biting you in the donkey when you don't expect it. It's really not worth the risk since the costs of getting caught are much greater than the increased cost of being legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.