RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Iowa Radio Discussion Forum

Iowa Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Iowa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 2:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok so now that the system is up, which scanner seems to work the best for the new system? I am looking at buying a new scanner and would like ideas on which on to buy. Also has anyone heard any scanners that will pick up motoTURBO yet?
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2011, 8:40 PM

well I have the radio shack pro-106 and my friend has a uniden 996 and they both sound like crap on the new johnson county towers. at times it is clear on both sides then the next transmission is really choppy. Wish I knew someone with a psr scanner would like to know if its clear on that all the time.
Old 01-07-2011, 2:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default PRO2096 I agree

Anyone that has a PRO2096 that is able to monitor Johnson County's new system,please let me know.
I have spent hours and still cannot get them. I changed to the newest Firmware 1.4 and hooked up to the software and entered everything from Radio Reference, and still, nothing.I have two others that my sisters have yet to do.Anyone with information, I would appreciate your input.
Old 01-07-2011, 7:26 PM

i have the 2096 but crappy radio shack messed up my scanner when i had it repaired and now i can't program it with software or on the keypad. wish I could help
Old 01-14-2011, 3:25 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just a update on my radios:

I have my 996t hooked to a homemade 800MHz sitting on the desk. The error rate stays at or real close to . I have to have my squelch set to 1 or 2 for the radio to "lock" onto TGs and decode properly. A squelch setting 3 or higher will make the scanner rapidly flip between the control channel frequency and the frequency assigned to the TG that is currently active(talking). Moving the squelch setting to 1 or 2 fixed this.

I programmed my 396t today as well. Sitting on the desk with a VHF/UHF antenna, I'm getting a 0-3 on the error rate. Audio sounds real good as well. The squelch setting must be set to 1 or 2 just like the 996t or you get the same problem the 996t did.

This testing is being done from the SW side of Cedar Rapids. Tonight I will test the 396t in Iowa City to see how well it performs.

Tim K.
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2011, 2:46 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

We have one heck of a case of simulcast digital distortion with this new Johnson County TRS

You can read about it here:
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Until the scanner manufacturers correct this problem, we are really going to have a tough time monitoring this system from within the county.

Tim K.
Old 01-20-2011, 6:03 PM

Well, according to Radio Shack when I was there yesterday, they told me that some racom guys came into the store and they were talking about the new system with the clerks. Seems that racom know's what they problem is and how to fix it but they don't want to say, I guess they want harris radio to figure it out. So I guess unless we know someone from racom we won't know.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit52240 View Post
Well, according to Radio Shack when I was there yesterday, they told me that some racom guys came into the store and they were talking about the new system with the clerks. Seems that racom know's what they problem is and how to fix it but they don't want to say, I guess they want harris radio to figure it out. So I guess unless we know someone from racom we won't know.
There is nothing we can *easily* do on our end to fix this problem. Its up to Uniden, GRE, ect...., the scanner makers are the one who have to fix this problem. The problem is, each simulcast system is different. So the settings for one system won't work with the next. I'm sure the RACOM guys were blowing some smoke up Radio Shacks rear end. All those Harris radios have been precisely tuned for THIS system.

Now the RACOM guys are laughing at us because it made the forums.

Tim K.
Old 02-01-2011, 2:34 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Channel Plan???

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...d=0&output=pdf
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2011, 2:13 PM

Hello, I have a BCD396T and am trying to program it for the Johnson County P25 system. I used Free Scan to upload the programming info from the RR database but I cant seem to get clear reception. The audio is very choppy and the scanner seems to be having trouble holding onto the CC. I have set the squelch to 2 but this didn't seem to help. Also I appear to be getting a very high p25 error rate. The signal strength is strong as I live in North Liberty only a few miles from one of the towers. It has been very frustrating that I can receive transmission from the Cedar Rapids P25 system flawlessly but can seem to get the system in my own county to work. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Brian
Old 02-10-2011, 8:59 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayphoto View Post
Hello, I have a BCD396T and am trying to program it for the Johnson County P25 system. I used Free Scan to upload the programming info from the RR database but I cant seem to get clear reception. The audio is very choppy and the scanner seems to be having trouble holding onto the CC. I have set the squelch to 2 but this didn't seem to help. Also I appear to be getting a very high p25 error rate. The signal strength is strong as I live in North Liberty only a few miles from one of the towers. It has been very frustrating that I can receive transmission from the Cedar Rapids P25 system flawlessly but can seem to get the system in my own county to work. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Brian
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

That is what this system is. I'm using a yagi pointed at the Swisher tower for this feed:

Johnson County Public Safety Live Scanner Audio Feed

It does remarkable well, but your mileage will vary. In your case, I would try with no antenna or just a paper clip for an antenna.

Tim K.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:01 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Have you guys been able to pick up anything using latest database info? I am trying to get a scanner working in Iowa City that has worked here in the past without any luck.
Old 03-09-2011, 8:07 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UIEMS View Post
Have you guys been able to pick up anything using latest database info? I am trying to get a scanner working in Iowa City that has worked here in the past without any luck.
The database is current.

Tim K.
Old 03-11-2011, 7:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

As for the Racom guys, my daughter is a dispatcher in Johnson County and I asked her to talk to the Racom people who were working on the system because I can't figure out how to program it into my scanner. She told me the guy was a real jerk to her. That hurt me because she was just trying to do me a favor. I loved listening to my scanner, there's nothing left on the old system to listen to anymore. I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up. It's a shame. I'm a law abiding, tax paying citizen and I deserve to listen to what goes on in my county.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:45 AM

Don't bother asking Racom about anything.......by what I understand they like to go into Radio Shack stores and cause problems too just because they sell scanners! I guess their management doesn't care how some of their employees act.
Old 03-12-2011, 3:29 AM

Anybody ever think that the RACOM employees you speak of might be friends of some of us? And did any of you happen to think that it's also not RACOM's job to help people program their personal "lets be nosy" scanners?
Old 03-12-2011, 3:38 AM

You are correct ....it's not their job to do it.
Old 03-12-2011, 5:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It's not Racoms job to give out advice in programing scanners. My daughter is a very kind person and an ace dispatcher, she would not have said the guy acted like a jerk if he hadn't. Racom is obviously touchy about people wanting to know about programing scanners. I didn't know this when I asked my daughter to speak with them on my behalf. Don't worry, I've learned my lesson.
Old 03-12-2011, 9:39 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It appears this system is above the technical level of most people. I have posted links on why scanners won't receive this system properly. I receive system just fine from my apartment in Cedar Rapids. I even had a feed up for awhile. Also, there is another fella who is submitting the TG data so he must be receiving the system fine as well. I know I'm kind of going on a rant here, but the system can be monitored with the data supplied here.

Tim K.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:03 AM
The Third Variable
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar422 View Post
Don't bother asking Racom about anything.......by what I understand they like to go into Radio Shack stores and cause problems too just because they sell scanners! I guess their management doesn't care how some of their employees act.
In my experience RACOM's technicians have been extremely helpful and friendly.

But I've never asked about programming a scanner.

Last edited by burner50; 03-12-2011 at 10:05 AM..