State Fair Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpray

I am having trouble hearing the state fair radios. I checked the frequencies in the database and added a few I did not have but I can not hear anything going on. When I manually select the frequencies I hear a control channel but it is on and off. Anyone else having a problem?

N0ZJT

Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8330: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/189)

I haven't been inside the fair to look at the radios being carried, but the digital bursts (not a control channel) are coming from the fairgrounds. I verified with close call on the scanner.

I think they got rid of the Motorola system and switched to MotoTRBO or some other unmonitorable system.

Other Frequencies used for the fair:

460.400 203.5 - DMPD traffic around fairgrounds

453.950 192.8 - State patrol on fairgrounds

453.925 131.8 - DMFD and medics around fairgrounds

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Can you get a recording of the data bursts?

I would like to compare with audio samples of known digital protocols

N0ZJT

Database Admin
Can you get a recording of the data bursts?

I would like to compare with audio samples of known digital protocols

I don't have that capability right now, but I compared what I was hearing on 858.9375 and a MotoTRBO sample online and they sound the same.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I know egrams knows, but there's been a lot of chatter on scaniowa that nobody is really able to lock onto a control channel.

N0ZJT

Database Admin
I changed the system type to MotoTRBO and I updated the wiki for the fairgrounds to reflect what I have been monitoring.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Has MotoTRBO usage been confirmed through eyewitness accounts or other sources? The emission designator still shows analog.

N0ZJT

Database Admin
Here are two samples from 858.9375. The is no analog usage on any of the channels.

Attachments

• fair samples.zip
    119.1 KB · Views: 97

N0ZJT

Database Admin
I can't as my trip to the Des Moines area has ended. I saw a glimpse of the radios last night, but it was dark so I couldn't see any model numbers. They were newer looking radios and kind of looked like the XPR6550 or XPR 6580 from Motorola and didn't look like the Kenwood NexEDGE series.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Someone on scaniowa said today they are XPR 6580 radios. Too bad. Made for some interesting listening during State Fair time.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Confirmed they are using MotoTRBO with DSD today. The control channel seems to rotate pretty often, usually within a minute or two. The 'active' channel will have the pulsing sound on it. There appears to be some data use on the system as well. I am going to TRY to put this on a feed, if there is interest. I will replace my Ankeny feed with it right now, if someone would like to change the description! My Ankeny feed radio died, awaiting a replacement.

Link to the current feed:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=8898

The feed still shows as Ankeny, but will get that changed asap.

Last edited:

gpgp00

Thanks for hosting the fair. I enjoyed listening to it for something different the past three days.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was more popular than i had expected with a peak of 12 listeners. Next year I will apply much earlier so i can start the stream before the fair starts. I missed the better part of a week this year trying to figure out just what the heck i was hearing!

For the record, DSD does an extremely good job decoding DMR and other digital modes (not so much on P25 right now, it doesn't seem to implement any of the error correction) and is real handy to have running connected to a scanner to see if what you are hearing is some kind of digital voice.

Back on topic, thanks again for the kind words and we will see you next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.