VHF Marine Radios used by farmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Unless there are some new narrow band agriculture radio service frequencies in the 156.000 MHz area I have been monitoring harvesting and farm ops on the VHF maritime band frequencies. They talk as if no one is listening using a bunch of profanity and personal chit chat in addition to working related conversations.

I recall seeing some really nice Marine radios mobiles and portable at the local Bass Pro Shop I guess folks are using these too like they do GMRS without a license too very common.

ecps92

Can you be more specific as the Freqs in use.
There are some VHF Marine channels allocated to Part 90 licenses.

Unless there are some new narrow band agriculture radio service frequencies in the 156.000 MHz area I have been monitoring harvesting and farm ops on the VHF maritime band frequencies. They talk as if no one is listening using a bunch of profanity and personal chit chat in addition to working related conversations.

I recall seeing some really nice Marine radios mobiles and portable at the local Bass Pro Shop I guess folks are using these too like they do GMRS without a license too very common.

SCPD

QRT
Ch-11 156.550, I was reading around on line and could not find anything with regards to Marine radio frequencies being doubled as part 90 business. If there is sharing going on what radios are available for this specific service/ It would be nice to have more VHF available than just MURS with more power too

Could someone post a link to these part 90 rules that state specifically you can use a VHF marine channel for land mobile use I would appreciate it
Dave

SCPD

QRT
Yeah after searching this subject I found other post similar to mine with the same results, there are no rules that allow land based non-maritime communications on the VHF Maritime Band in the US and hunters use there handhelds on land as well. Being from a big metro city I have never actually monitored this kind of use before, with all the folks scanning it wouldn't be long before getting caught. I have monitored FRS being used by look out in areas where illegal activity was taking place ie drug houses and drop houses in the Phoenix metro area and out on the real rural areas in the high country where growers use FRS for primary operations tending their hidden marijuana crops.

This has been fun scanning all these frequencies here just looking for anything then run it on the FCC web site see how far away some of these stations are and also finding so many unlisted and unlicensed users out here in rural Iowa.

ecps92

INTERNATIONAL VHF MARINE RADIO CHANNELS AND FREQEUENCIES
156.0750 is a very common Part 90 Local Government Allocation, also known as VHF Marine 61

Ch-11 156.550, I was reading around on line and could not find anything with regards to Marine radio frequencies being doubled as part 90 business. If there is sharing going on what radios are available for this specific service/ It would be nice to have more VHF available than just MURS with more power too

Could someone post a link to these part 90 rules that state specifically you can use a VHF marine channel for land mobile use I would appreciate it
Dave

SCPD

QRT
This is a nice list, I found it surfing for more info too and still don't see anything about using these frequencies on land but I will keep searching for this "Part 90" thing you're talking about. I did email these guys and ask specifically about this subject I hope to hear back from them soon.

Transmission on frequencies or channels shown in blue are not allowed within U.S. territorial waters, but are allowed on the high seas and in most other countries

156.550 Maritime Ch-11 was not listed in the blue

More Later
Dave

ecps92

Some Part 80 radios enable channels 3A, 61A, and 64A etc when configured for "USA mode" even though those channels are allocated exclusively for Public Safety [Part 90] use by the FCC. The frequencies 156.075, 156.150, and 156.225 MHz are used for communication by police fire and municipal departments in many areas.

This is a nice list, I found it surfing for more info too and still don't see anything about using these frequencies on land but I will keep searching for this "Part 90" thing you're talking about. I did email these guys and ask specifically about this subject I hope to hear back from them soon.

Transmission on frequencies or channels shown in blue are not allowed within U.S. territorial waters, but are allowed on the high seas and in most other countries

156.550 Maritime Ch-11 was not listed in the blue

More Later
Dave

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
This line in that link posted makes me laugh.....theres at laeast half dozen of these in my parts...

"MURS stations are prohibited from operating as a repeater station or as a signal booster."

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I have asked the FCC for clarification regarding the use of maritime radios on land for non-maritime communications and specifically asked about the frequency Ch-11 156.550 MHz the one I have been monitoring the profanity and vehicle mobile operation on.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have asked the FCC for clarification regarding the use of maritime radios on land for non-maritime communications and specifically asked about the frequency Ch-11 156.550 MHz the one I have been monitoring the profanity and vehicle mobile operation on.

It would be interesting to see what they tell you, but nope they're not supposed to be there. ;)

I did a search just for giggles,

156.5500 Search Results[]=19&tone=&coid=1

n9zas

SCPD

QRT
It's worth $10K to them if they have a case and all they would have to do is send out local agents to spend a day or two and monitor this and start sending the notice of violation followed soon after by a notice of monetary forfeiture.

SCPD

QRT
This line in that link posted makes me laugh.....theres at laeast half dozen of these in my parts...

"MURS stations are prohibited from operating as a repeater station or as a signal booster."

I have seen commercial radios being advertised for MURS with power options alot higher than the 1 or 2 watt limit for that service. Not with FRS I see the bubble packs for around $30 for a pair these are becoming more common than the old CB radio service and sound just like it in some metro areas. I have yet to see any enforcement of power limit violations just unauthorized use by business's for non-family commercial use (FRS) MURS seems to be the only service not being watched as much as the others. I guess folks like these guys talking on Maritime radios do not know about MURS and that fact you can operate on those frequencies with less of a chance of drawing unnecessary attention like they are on Maritime radio. Wal Mart and drive threw joints talk on these frequencies all day long using 5 watt commercial handhelds with a range as good as any other VHF radio.

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
It's worth $10K to them if they have a case and all they would have to do is send out local agents to spend a day or two and monitor this and start sending the notice of violation followed soon after by a notice of monetary forfeiture.

You could try to educate the farmers rather than trying to play radio police.

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
Good luck with that...

n9zas

Thanks, but I've actually helped some of the farmers in my area with issues like this. I've read your posts on other "Radio Police" topics, I know where you stand on the issue.

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
While it doesn't sound like this is the case, there are numerous variations of reuse for maritime channels on land, especially inland where there are no what the FCC calls large bodies of water. Our Public Correspondence channels in the NYC area are allowed to be used for land communications, including the splinters between them. Even the Virginia State Police are using Marine channels inland. All it takes is a petition to the FCC and meet their 3 prong rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.