RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Iowa Radio Discussion Forum

Iowa Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Iowa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 9:37 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGuy1603 View Post
I know most of the Linn County Deputies by voice. Having a heck of a time knowing who is talking if I miss their radio number ]
Does your scanner show the RID? If so, you can program in it say there name or whatever you want.

Tim
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014, 11:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Look like a LAN

Quote:
I know most of the Linn County Deputies by voice. Having a heck of a time knowing who is talking if I miss their radio number

It just sounds different!

BUT P25 simulcast is just a completely different thing that you will get used to .

I suspect you may still be getting some errors in your received audio, plus you are used to listening to this group on an old VHF analog system.

A couple things that I did was to key in all twelve voice channels into an Amateur Radio Handheld (VX8/R)
that happen to also cover 800Mhz to verify signal level and channel center frequency. It just made a lot of noise but signal level was full scale and there's no interference and right on frequency. I then programmed all twelve voice channels into my PSR800 as if they were conventional mode repeaters, each operating on its own. I got a bunch of disjointed transmission. Some channels always decode perfectly, some decode a little mushy, some decode all broken up. If I program the control channel, all I hear is the rat a tat tat tat of the control signal.
Programing in as conventional also bypasses all the control channel data and I can listen to the raw audio. I noticed that all twelve channels get used in a random rotation. There is a LOT of encrypted traffic on this network. Makes for some interesting conversations when randomly glued back together. Most replies do not go out on the same voice channel. On a computer network, this would be known as a packet sniffer.
I 'm currently playing with a program downloaded from this site that decodes the control channel. It connects to a PSR800 via the USB port . I have a lot to learn here.
Dave..
Old 02-14-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkilbride View Post
Does your scanner show the RID? If so, you can program in it say there name or whatever you want.

Tim
No Tim , you are missing the point -------------I have the Radio ID---not a problem. I just can't recognize their VOICES with the digital conversion

Before I didn't have to look at the scanner to know who it was

Given a couple months of listening I will relearn their "new " radio voices................

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmaley View Post
I suspect you may still be getting some errors in your received audio,
No you are not understanding either

Dave-------------I know what I am hearing

Quote:
plus you are used to listening to this group on an old VHF analog system.
THAT is the point I was making......................The SOUND is completely different on the digital system than it was on analoge.

Quote:
There is a LOT of encrypted traffic on this network.
Yep...............a whole bunch, but I already knew that

Last edited by IowaGuy1603; 02-14-2014 at 1:07 PM..
Old 02-14-2014, 2:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Voices

plus you are used to listening to this group on an old VHF analog system.

THAT is the point I was making......................The SOUND is completely different on the digital system than it was on analoge.

Expect this. You are no longer listening to each person's voice but a compressed simulation of their voice. The key being "compressed". Some elements of the voice are removed in compression. Systems like this have a hard time passing an audio tone because a tone can not be compressed.

Quote:
There is a LOT of encrypted traffic on this network.

Yep...............a whole bunch, but I already knew that

I don't mind encryption because I know that there will be no more stupid laws forbidding listening to certain frequencies. Please make sure that someone knows that the encryption system used by local enforcement (DES) isn't that secure anymore. It can be hacked. The trick to keeping it secure is frequent password changing. It is not a 'set and forget' thing. DES was developed in the 1990's and is showing its age. Any type of security on a RF system goes obsolete faster than anything else and will be the most expensive part to purchase and maintain.
Dave..

Dave..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-14-2014, 3:15 PM

Quote:

Expect this. You are no longer listening to each person's voice but a compressed simulation of their voice. The key being "compressed". Some elements of the voice are removed in compression. Systems like this have a hard time passing an audio tone because a tone can not be compressed.
-
Dave

I have told you before that I am not stupid.

I was merely telling the person that they should expect a different sound than what they are used to

I am a ham-------------------I have known what DIGITAL modes are for a long long time. I have been monitoring P25 systems for a long time
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014, 5:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Dave

I have told you before that I am not stupid.

I was merely telling the person that they should expect a different sound than what they are used to

I am a ham-------------------I have known what DIGITAL modes are for a long long time. I have been monitoring P25 systems for a long time
You happen to get on any of the local Ham repeaters?
Dave..
Old 02-15-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:

Man you aren't kidding! The sound quality is night and day from what it was before. I've had the new system on for quite awhile tonight, while its been active (Linn County Sheriff and Marion PD) I would say about 85% of the traffic has been incredibly choppy and squeaky to the point where I can't understand it. I'm hoping when CRPD and CRFD is all up tomorrow it will sound better. I'm as inexperienced as they come with this and I'm hoping the more I play with it the better it will get but I'm not so sure.
Old 02-15-2014, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobU05 View Post
Man you aren't kidding! The sound quality is night and day from what it was before. I've had the new system on for quite awhile tonight, while its been active (Linn County Sheriff and Marion PD) I would say about 85% of the traffic has been incredibly choppy and squeaky to the point where I can't understand it. I'm hoping when CRPD and CRFD is all up tomorrow it will sound better. I'm as inexperienced as they come with this and I'm hoping the more I play with it the better it will get but I'm not so sure.
It is your location in relation to the towers......and your antenna that makes the most difference in successfully monitoring the system.

Sometimes moving your antenna a few inches might make the difference
Old 02-15-2014, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Bob

Have you imported the Saturday update and tried to import the TG's to your scan lists.

I got mine re-arrainged this morning and things are pretty good.

Once again my results are probably better since I am a ways away from the towers, but here at home I am getting about 95% or better traffic.
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Bob

Have you imported the Saturday update and tried to import the TG's to your scan lists.

I got mine re-arrainged this morning and things are pretty good.

Once again my results are probably better since I am a ways away from the towers, but here at home I am getting about 95% or better traffic.
I haven't completed the update yet today as I only have a MAC but tomorrow I will have access to a PC and will update it then. I plan on messing around with it tomorrow. I noticed late last night I was able to get better reception with the stock antenna for some reason. My other antenna is a 800mhz from radio shack.
Old 02-15-2014, 3:35 PM

Quote:
I noticed late last night I was able to get better reception with the stock antenna for some reason. My other antenna is a 800mhz from radio shack.
more likely than not LESS is better for you in your location.

Push comes to shove maybe we can meet up someplace and I can burn you a copy of my files.------
Old 02-15-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
more likely than not LESS is better for you in your location.

Push comes to shove maybe we can meet up someplace and I can burn you a copy of my files.------
Sounds good, I'll let you know how it goes after I update tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Sounds good, I'll let you know how it goes after I update tomorrow.

Thanks
Well, once again I ventured into CR/Marion today (stupid with all the snow etc).

Driving down Hwy 151 from Anamosa to St Lukes Hospital --------reception was spotty-----but I caught all the traffic (LC F1&2, MPD F1 & 2, ,CRPD F1&2 and CRFIRE F1 &2 scanning. Somewhat garbled at times but normally when I would hit the ATT button it would clear (or if the ATT was on---turning it off)

Sure is different than sitting here at home where it now is pretty much 100% decoding 100% of the time

All of the above was using a outside antenna extension with a RS 800 mHz duck attached.
Old 02-17-2014, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Well, once again I ventured into CR/Marion today (stupid with all the snow etc).

Driving down Hwy 151 from Anamosa to St Lukes Hospital --------reception was spotty-----but I caught all the traffic (LC F1&2, MPD F1 & 2, ,CRPD F1&2 and CRFIRE F1 &2 scanning. Somewhat garbled at times but normally when I would hit the ATT button it would clear (or if the ATT was on---turning it off)

Sure is different than sitting here at home where it now is pretty much 100% decoding 100% of the time

All of the above was using a outside antenna extension with a RS 800 mHz duck attached.
Yea I agree. I messed around with it for a bit yesterday and I think I hear most everything as well but it's pretty poor sound quality. Been listening quite a bit this morning and results are similar. When this system gets completely finished (assuming there are still some issues), any idea if this will improve?
Old 02-17-2014, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Yea I agree. I messed around with it for a bit yesterday and I think I hear most everything as well but it's pretty poor sound quality. Been listening quite a bit this morning and results are similar. When this system gets completely finished (assuming there are still some issues), any idea if this will improve?
It's finished.....................the only "changes" in the last 3 weeks has been the addition of the talk groups.

You are going to have to experiment in antenna placement to find the sweet spot,

To test................take a drive out to my area and see what it sounds like................ If you have been sound quality over this way--------you will know your settings are as good as they are going to be
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2014, 4:27 PM

Default ICS TGs

Any idea what this means and how these 5 TGs will be used. I have heard CRPD , among others, on them.
Old 02-17-2014, 8:28 PM

Quote:
It's finished.....................the only "changes" in the last 3 weeks has been the addition of the talk groups.

You are going to have to experiment in antenna placement to find the sweet spot,

To test................take a drive out to my area and see what it sounds like................ If you have been sound quality over this way--------you will know your settings are as good as they are going to be
I've noticed different parts of my house are a bit better then others. It could certainly be worse sounding but it's still not what it was before and will take some time getting adjusted too. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raruzicka View Post
Any idea what this means and how these 5 TGs will be used. I have heard CRPD , among others, on them.
Incident' Command

Should be used as a County wide interops
Old 02-18-2014, 5:44 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by raruzicka View Post
No actual events have happened on them. It just seems they like test or troubleshoot radio's on those 5 groups.

Tim
Old 04-08-2014, 2:47 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not sure if anybody uses RID's in their scanners, but here a fairly good list of who's who:

Linn County Public Safety (P25) Radio IDs - The RadioReference Wiki

Tim