RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Iowa Radio Discussion Forum

Iowa Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Iowa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 9:36 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfromiowa View Post
The ARC96 software appears to default to Mot trunking. I'm fairly sure the new Harris system uses EDACs. I went to the "Trunk" configuration menu and changed to EDACs.

There are still some strange things(talkgroup IDs and numbers are not being displayed), but generally, the PRO96 seems to be hearing most of the traffic that the PRO197 hears.

Hopefully, a few tweaks will make things better.
It is not EDACS. It is P25 trunking using Harris equipment.

Tim
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014, 9:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The ARC96 software appears to default to Mot trunking. I'm fairly sure the new Harris system uses EDACs. I went to the "Trunk" configuration menu and changed to EDACs.

There are still some strange things(talkgroup IDs and numbers are not being displayed), but generally, the PRO96 seems to be hearing most of the traffic that the PRO197 hears.

Hopefully, a few tweaks will make things better.
Jim
On the ARC96 Settings page, what do you have for Trunk settings...VHF/UHF /Single Table? I think that information might be key.
Joe W0MJN
Old 02-14-2014, 10:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Linn Co P25

Joe,

Settings on V/U/Single trunk are 406/380 offset and 25 K steps.

Tim: May not be EDACs but when that is chosen on the trunk menu, the scanner works. Only choices are no trunk, Mot or EDACs.

I'm sticking with it until I get something better.

Jim w0nkn
Old 02-14-2014, 11:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinkstein View Post
I am having the exact same issue with a Pro 96 and have been trying for figure it out for a week now. I believe the issue is possibly related to the band plan, or re-banding, or frequency offset and step. I have tried making changes to these parameters in both Win96 and ARC 96 software packages but I am not sure the parameters I have used are correct. I would really like to determine if there is a frequency offset and step for the Linn county P25 system. I have tried various parameter recommendations from RR, but none have resolver the audio problem.
jfinkstein, I have had some success. I can now hear stuff.... but IT IS AWFUL reception lots of the time... sometimes clears as can be..... also I get some garbled talk like its just on the edge of decoding.

ARC 96 and a RR premium membership (for quickness of importing) Still trying to work on this because TG id's don't show up on scanner so I have no clue (will I have some) just from previous listening. Under setting in ACR96 ...mine are: BANK NAME: LinnCountyPu
Bank Enabled "checked."..... BANK TYPE: Motorola. Closed Mode: "not checked" TGID Sub Banks: all checked. ID Delay (mS) 2000. Trunk SettingsVHF/UHF/Single Table) Freq: 406.0000 Offset: 380 Step: 25 Edacs Id Format: Decimal. Motorola Type 1 Fleetmap... Block 1-7 all Type 2.
Mot 3600 Systems Bandplan: Multi Tables. Mot 9600 Bandplan : Normal. Under freq I only have 3 851.2250...( This one I have to lock out all it makes is noise yet I believe that is the Control channel ??? and these two are listed as alts 851.6125/ 853.3125 ( I hear traffic on both f these.) Those are in # 200,201 and 202. alpha tag just says linn Co. Mode I have set on FM (if you click on MO/FM etc under mode you will see a list above... I checked FM/P25. (Every time I made a change I hit save)

Best I can help with now.... I am a "RANK amateur" so me just getting this far was lucky.

Best I can help with now.

Forgot one thing. You have to reband the radio. That is on the settings page off to the right. After you set all the above click that "Edit multi tables and edit them. Thats what I did.

Last edited by CA58; 02-14-2014 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: added edit multi tables directions for ARC 96
Old 02-14-2014, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA58 View Post
jfinkstein, I have had some success. I can now hear stuff.... but IT IS AWFUL reception lots of the time... sometimes clears as can be..... also I get some garbled talk like its just on the edge of decoding.
^^^^^ That is indicative of listening to a Simulcast system . The Uniden is really hard to fine tune due to the mulitpath problems when monitoring a Simulacst.

My GRE decodes the system fairly well but I often have to play around with the Attenuation button.

Back when the Johnson County system went on line (it is EXACTLY the same as the new Linn County system) some users were using a bent paperclip for an antenna to try to solve the overload.

I have one of my GRE's sitting on the table as a base....................I am using a Radio Shack Mag Mount scanner antenna that is just sitting on a shelf (wooden)..................I get almost flawless reception.

I took the same scanner out in the car today with a smaller scanner antenna (using a rare earth mag mount) and it was quite garbled 1/2 the time or so.................

I also have mag mount that has a BNC connector that I attach a Radio Shack 800 Mhz ducky to............that works pretty good

In a pinch I have a 2meter/70 cm ham ducky that also works pretty good.

Forgot to add I am 2 miles east of the Jones/Linn county line near the Hwy 1 & 151 intersection.

Glad you are having some progress

Last edited by IowaGuy1603; 02-14-2014 at 1:27 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014, 1:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGuy1603 View Post
^^^^^ That is indicative of listening to a Simulcast system . The Uniden is really hard to fine tune due to the mulitpath problems when monitoring a Simulacst.

My GRE decodes the system fairly well but I often have to play around with the Attenuation button.

Back when the Johnson County system went on line (it is EXACTLY the same as the new Linn County system) some users were using a bent paperclip for an antenna to try to solve the overload.

I have one of my GRE's sitting on the table as a base....................I am using a Radio Shack Mag Mount scanner antenna that is just sitting on a shelf (wooden)..................I get almost flawless reception.

I took the same scanner out in the car today with a smaller scanner antenna (using a rare earth mag mount) and it was quite garbled 1/2 the time or so.................

I also have mag mount that has a BNC connector that I attach a Radio Shack 800 Mhz ducky to............that works pretty good

In a pinch I have a 2meter/70 cm ham ducky that also works pretty good.

Forgot to add I am 2 miles east of the Jones/Linn county line near the Hwy 1 & 151 intersection.

Thanks for the reply and info. I am thinking of getting a external BCN connect antenna... Do you think that would help my Pro 96. ???? Something like this... KS3 Tri-Band HAM / Scanner Magnetic Antenna
Old 02-14-2014, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and info. I am thinking of getting a external BCN connect antenna... Do you think that would help my Pro 96. ???? Something like this... KS3 Tri-Band HAM / Scanner Magnetic Antenna
I have one like that but and one that actually has a second BNC connection on the mount..............THAT is where I attach the Ducky.

Both work pretty good in the mobile arena-------I like using it

The one that I have that I connect the ducky to ----well I can put different antennas on it and play with reception.

I have even used just a 2 meter ducky -----and found it works pretty good.
Old 02-14-2014, 1:54 PM

delete
wrong antenna
Old 02-14-2014, 5:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
delete
wrong antenna
Okay. Any ideas or a proper one .... or any at all???
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Okay. Any ideas or a proper one .... or any at all???
Actually I posted a link and afterward saw it was the

wrong antenna.

stupid editing
Old 02-14-2014, 9:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

ARC 96 and a RR premium membership (for quickness of importing) Still trying to work on this because TG id's don't show up on scanner so I have no clue (will I have some) just from previous listening. Under setting in ACR96 ...mine are: BANK NAME: LinnCountyPu
Bank Enabled "checked."..... BANK TYPE: Motorola. Closed Mode: "not checked" TGID Sub Banks: all checked. ID Delay (mS) 2000. Trunk SettingsVHF/UHF/Single Table) Freq: 406.0000 Offset: 380 Step: 25 Edacs Id Format: Decimal. Motorola Type 1 Fleetmap... Block 1-7 all Type 2.
Mot 3600 Systems Bandplan: Multi Tables. Mot 9600 Bandplan : Normal. Under freq I only have 3 851.2250...( This one I have to lock out all it makes is noise yet I believe that is the Control channel ??? and these two are listed as alts 851.6125/ 853.3125 ( I hear traffic on both f these.) Those are in # 200,201 and 202. alpha tag just says linn Co. Mode I have set on FM (if you click on MO/FM etc under mode you will see a list above... I checked FM/P25. (Every time I made a change I hit save)

Best I can help with now.... I am a "RANK amateur" so me just getting this far was lucky.

Best I can help with now.

Forgot one thing. You have to reband the radio. That is on the settings page off to the right. After you set all the above click that "Edit multi tables and edit them. Thats what I did.
Thank you for the data. It is very helpful I will give it another try in the morning. On the multi tables, you indicated that when you are in 'Edit Multi Tables" you edited them. Did you edit them (to what?) or did you hit "Load"? Did you load all the data in the reband tables or just some of the reband data?
Thanks.
Joe W0MJN
Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Linn Co P25

PRO 96 now seems to be doing well. C58's comment about setting mode to FM/P25 for all the Linn Co 800 frequencies may have been the critical action. Haven't done anything with regard to rebanding. Added RR's ham band frequencies and aircraft band, so now I have pretty much everything I want.

Last night's journey with the PRO106 with rubber duck antenna to Blairstown was pretty much as expected. Everything pretty much went away about 10 miles West of CR on hwy 30. The old CRPD system was solid copy in Blairstown with the same scanner and antenna, but that may not be all bad.

The switch from Motorola to EDACs in the settings menu of ARC96 appears to have no impact on the way the scanner works. So my earlier thought that my theory that Harris P25 might have retain some of the artifacts of their old EDACs system was apparently in error.

Learned some about trunking, sweat some blood and spent a lot more time than I could afford, but now I think I'm ready for almost anything. I understand Linn Co will be moving more units from VHF over the next 6 weeks so things will continue to change. Yesterday, RR file had 59 items listed for Linn Co P25; 68 this morning.

Jim w0nkn
Old 02-15-2014, 11:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Thank you for the data. It is very helpful I will give it another try in the morning. On the multi tables, you indicated that when you are in 'Edit Multi Tables" you edited them. Did you edit them (to what?) or did you hit "Load"? Did you load all the data in the reband tables or just some of the reband data?
Thanks.
Joe W0MJN
J... I just hit the "load" and saw that the values changed. On a side note I could be using wrong terminology regarding the editing of the multi table. I called it rebanding. I loaded what ever the software did. Good luck.

I still haven't figured out how to get the alpha tag to show up and talk group Id's on scanner display. Another issue is the control channel 851.22500 I have to lock it out.... all it dose is make static noise.... RR lists that one as the "control" channel. The alts #'s are working... both of them. I may try a put all the control channels in the scanner.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
^^^^^

IG.... from the above it sounds like a external antenna would make the overload issue worse. Is that the case.???
Old 02-15-2014, 12:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
PRO 96 now seems to be doing well. C58's comment about setting mode to FM/P25 for all the Linn Co 800 frequencies may have been the critical action. Haven't done anything with regard to rebanding. Added RR's ham band frequencies and aircraft band, so now I have pretty much everything I want.

Last night's journey with the PRO106 with rubber duck antenna to Blairstown was pretty much as expected. Everything pretty much went away about 10 miles West of CR on hwy 30. The old CRPD system was solid copy in Blairstown with the same scanner and antenna, but that may not be all bad.

The switch from Motorola to EDACs in the settings menu of ARC96 appears to have no impact on the way the scanner works. So my earlier thought that my theory that Harris P25 might have retain some of the artifacts of their old EDACs system was apparently in error.

Learned some about trunking, sweat some blood and spent a lot more time than I could afford, but now I think I'm ready for almost anything. I understand Linn Co will be moving more units from VHF over the next 6 weeks so things will continue to change. Yesterday, RR file had 59 items listed for Linn Co P25; 68 this morning.

Jim w0nkn
Jim...

email me the file you have working with the change to FM/P25. I tried that change but my frequencies still seem to be off. I's like to see what you are using. tnx.

Joe W0MJN
Sponsored links
††††††††
Old 02-15-2014, 3:39 PM

Quote:
IG.... from the above it sounds like a external antenna would make the overload issue worse. Is that the case.???
Location , location , location

I had one person think that a directional yagi antenna pointed 180 degrees AWAY from the tower might work well ..................but that would only work if that wasn't in line with another of the 7 towers.

With a system like this each persons location is vital and "base" radios and/or antennas have to basically be positioned correctly

Quote:

EAST of town I can copy the system almost to Monticello on Hwy 151 BUT I use one of these
http://www.walcottcb.com/ks3-triband...?cPath=499_413

Last edited by IowaGuy1603; 02-15-2014 at 3:46 PM..
Old 02-15-2014, 4:16 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If anyone is using a 396xt and the Linn system is working, could you send me the file. I'm having a heck of a time getting mine to work
Old 02-15-2014, 6:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

With thanks to jimfromiowa and CA58 for the notes above, and to jfinkstein for asking the questions, I am now able hear conversations on my PRO-96. Using the information gathered here, I've written step-by-step instructions below for others who may need them.

However, as some have noted, the talkgroup IDs do not display and it is not perfect -- still plenty of garbled noise here and there, but I hear recognizable dispatch voices now. (FYI - I'm using an 800MHz rubber duck antenna in NE Cedar Rapids).

(The following sentence is for search engine helpfulness for others looking for this information, provided the search function digs this deep

How to get a Pro-96 Pro96 Radio Shack frequency scanner to work with the New Linn County Iowa Cedar Rapids Marion P25 Project 25 Police Sheriff Fire Ambulance Rescue Radio System

- Using the ARC96 software, download your current settings from the scanner. Save this downloaded data so you can retrieve your frequencies should something be accidentally be erased while making changes. Save with a name like "scanner-settings-pre-Feb2014"

- Using the ARC96 software, download the latest data from radioreference.com (requires subscription) (Choose: Internet --> USA --> Iowa --> County: Linn --> Click on "Trunked Systems" button --> Select "Linn County Public Safety Project 25..." from the dropdown list --> click the "Select All" button under both the Sites and Talkgroups windows --> Choose a Channel Bank where the new data should be saved. Click "Import."

- In the ARC96 software, change the frequencies in the new list of imported data to FM/P25 (Click the tab for the Channel Bank where the new data was just imported. Go to the "Setup" menu item and then select the "Frequencies" sub-menu item to ensure the frequency list is showing. Click and drag to highlight the 'mode' column for the listed frequencies, then click the "FM/P25" radio button at the top of the table).

- In the ARC96 software, go to the menu item "Setup" then select sub-menu item "Settings," then in the new window that appears, click on the "Edit Multi Tables" button and click "Load." (not sure if this is critical, but I did both this and the FM/P25 change at the same time -- didn't test one without the other).

- Save (and name) the local ARC96 file with a NEW name (like "scanner-settings-post-Feb2014")

- Upload the data to the scanner.

I don't know much about creating the fixes, but I know how to collect information and re-write it so that is it useful to others, so that's what I'll contribute.

Thanks to all -- let's hope we continue to learn more to make it all work as it should.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylekiot51 View Post
With thanks to jimfromiowa and CA58 for the notes above, and to jfinkstein for asking the questions, I am now able hear conversations on my PRO-96. Using the information gathered here, I've written step-by-step instructions below for others who may need them.

However, as some have noted, the talkgroup IDs do not display and it is not perfect -- still plenty of garbled noise here and there, but I hear recognizable dispatch voices now. (FYI - I'm using an 800MHz rubber duck antenna in NE Cedar Rapids).

(The following sentence is for search engine helpfulness for others looking for this information, provided the search function digs this deep

How to get a Pro-96 Pro96 Radio Shack frequency scanner to work with the New Linn County Iowa Cedar Rapids Marion P25 Project 25 Police Sheriff Fire Ambulance Rescue Radio System

- Using the ARC96 software, download your current settings from the scanner. Save this downloaded data so you can retrieve your frequencies should something be accidentally be erased while making changes. Save with a name like "scanner-settings-pre-Feb2014"

- Using the ARC96 software, download the latest data from radioreference.com (requires subscription) (Choose: Internet --> USA --> Iowa --> County: Linn --> Click on "Trunked Systems" button --> Select "Linn County Public Safety Project 25..." from the dropdown list --> click the "Select All" button under both the Sites and Talkgroups windows --> Choose a Channel Bank where the new data should be saved. Click "Import."

- In the ARC96 software, change the frequencies in the new list of imported data to FM/P25 (Click the tab for the Channel Bank where the new data was just imported. Go to the "Setup" menu item and then select the "Frequencies" sub-menu item to ensure the frequency list is showing. Click and drag to highlight the 'mode' column for the listed frequencies, then click the "FM/P25" radio button at the top of the table).

- In the ARC96 software, go to the menu item "Setup" then select sub-menu item "Settings," then in the new window that appears, click on the "Edit Multi Tables" button and click "Load." (not sure if this is critical, but I did both this and the FM/P25 change at the same time -- didn't test one without the other).

- Save (and name) the local ARC96 file with a NEW name (like "scanner-settings-post-Feb2014")

- Upload the data to the scanner.

I don't know much about creating the fixes, but I know how to collect information and re-write it so that is it useful to others, so that's what I'll contribute.

Thanks to all -- let's hope we continue to learn more to make it all work as it should.
Great information. Thank you. I think I have tried several iterations of what you have done, but maybe not in the same sequence. What versions of firmware do you have in your Pro96? You can read that info by pressing the 3 key as the radio boots up. On mine, I have CPU: F1.3, DSP-App: U1.4, and DSP-Voc: F1.0
I also have another Pro96 with CPU: F1.2. Have you done anything to the radio itself for rebanding?
Joe W0MJN
Old 02-16-2014, 12:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Great information. Thank you. I think I have tried several iterations of what you have done, but maybe not in the same sequence. What versions of firmware do you have in your Pro96? You can read that info by pressing the 3 key as the radio boots up. On mine, I have CPU: F1.3, DSP-App: U1.4, and DSP-Voc: F1.0
I also have another Pro96 with CPU: F1.2. Have you done anything to the radio itself for rebanding?
Joe W0MJN
I am finally hearing some stuff on the Pro96. I used the settings that were posted last night. I donít see the TGs, but for right now that is ok. It is interesting that all the traffic I am hearing is on one of the three control channels. Not sure I understand that. Also not sure I am hearing everything because I have no TGs.

When I manually step through the memories on the scanner: 000, 001, 002 on the radio they appear as FM, but when there is traffic it shows as digital. Be sure you use FM/P25 setting in the Frequencies list.