New Linn County P25 HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjauron1

Premium Subscriber
Am I the only one having a problem with this? I use FreeScan, imported the channels/talkgroups/etc via Radio Reference and uploaded them to both scanners I have, which are a BCD996XT and BCD396XT. I am unable to receive any audio from these. I have Cedar Rapids already on there from previously, and they are still working fine. I assume I am missing something, but have no clue as to what it is. Since CR is supposed to change to this system within the next week or so, I would appreciate any help in figuring this out ASAP. I know it is not an issue with range, as I am in Marion.

IowaGuy1603

The 996/396 are both notorious for not decoding simulcast systems very well. For example the JCOM system which is identical to the Linn County system.

A friend of mine has never been able to get his 396 to monitor the LC system when it was in test mode (for the last 6 months) and he is a tech for the company.

I am currently monitoring the system with my GRE PSR800 with pretty much the same results as I have with the JCOM system. Fairly good reception over here in Jones County (I had to totally dump then reload the LC P25 sites yesterday to get it to work)

dgmaley

Distortion

Am I the only one having a problem with this? I use FreeScan, imported the channels/talkgroups/etc via Radio Reference and uploaded them to both scanners I have, which are a BCD996XT and BCD396XT. I am unable to receive any audio from these. I have Cedar Rapids already on there from previously, and they are still working fine. I assume I am missing something, but have no clue as to what it is. Since CR is supposed to change to this system within the next week or so, I would appreciate any help in figuring this out ASAP. I know it is not an issue with range, as I am in Marion.

If you hear all transmissions sound like encrypted audio, you are not alone. That's not the fault of the radio. You are receiving the same signal from multiple towers causing digital distortion. The only cure is to use a directional antenna and NOTCH out all but one tower. It would be interesting to see if Marion PD have some of the same issue in their mobiles. I also live in Marion and have ordered a small cell site yagi antenna cut for 800Mhz.

Dave..

kjauron1

Premium Subscriber
If you hear all transmissions sound like encrypted audio, you are not alone. That's not the fault of the radio. You are receiving the same signal from multiple towers causing digital distortion. The only cure is to use a directional antenna and NOTCH out all but one tower. It would be interesting to see if Marion PD have some of the same issue in their mobiles. I also live in Marion and have ordered a small cell site yagi antenna cut for 800Mhz.

Dave..

I wish it was that easy Dave, however I get NOTHING at all from the Linn County system with either scanner. Sounds to me like maybe I need to e-bay these Uniden scanners and pick me up a couple PSR-800's if I want to be able to listen to anything? Or does anyone else have any additional input?

IowaGuy1603

According to one person --the new Uniden a 436 or whatever the ones that just came out is supposed to be much better with the LC system.

I wouldn't go out buying a 800-----since they are no longer made. I would wait to see what Whistler comes out with.

Dave.............I am listening to MPD as I type and they are doing fine..................

kjauron1.......................try deleting the entire system.............shutting down the radio...then re building the system & see if that helps

dgmaley

Linn Co System

I wish it was that easy Dave, however I get NOTHING at all from the Linn County system with either scanner. Sounds to me like maybe I need to e-bay these Uniden scanners and pick me up a couple PSR-800's if I want to be able to listen to anything? Or does anyone else have any additional input?

Well, in this case, nothing is something.

Verify the control channel and voice channel frequencies.
Radio Reference may not have the talk group codes all updated for downloads. I had to update the talkgroup codes for my PSR800 by hand. They were just too new.

Dave...

dgmaley

Too Close

Dave.............I am listening to MPD as I type and they are doing fine..................

Yes, I know. I'm just too close to the towers. If I use an external whip antenna and set it just in the right spot on my basement floor, I can decode about 50%. The signal strength meter is still full scale.

Dave...

K0JWW

Linn County P25

I am using the BCD996T for the Broadcastify Feed I now run for the system. It is having some difficulties, likely related to multipath. I may end up moving the feed from it's current location in SE Cedar Rapids to my residence in Fairfax. I use a Homepatrol-1 at home. I had a BCD396XT until it went on the fritz, and it was doing ok. I intend to send that one in to Uniden for repair.

K0JWW

kjauron1-I used my advanced feature on my Homepatrol 1 to identify every last one of the 14 or so frequencies that I showed in use by the system. I programmed all into my BCD996T. I had difficulty with receiving the system until I programmed the right control channel. Now it is having problems relating to multipath distortion much like the problems I had with Johnson County. Does the control channel come up? It should have "DAT" to show it is receiving the control channel and it should show the control channel frequency as well.

IowaGuy1603

Well, in this case, nothing is something.

I had to update the talkgroup codes for my PSR800 by hand. They were just too new.

Dave...

As did I, Saturday the auto download for the 800 will be updated.

actually the first time I loaded the new TG's I got nothing......................I mean the scanner was capturing the TG and showing transmissions but the 800 was NOT showing a digital signal?????????

That's when I erased everything and started over downloading the system and CAREFULLY adding the TG's to the scan lists instead of the trunking area..

kjauron1

Premium Subscriber
Frustrated

I have totally deleted and re-added the Linn County P25 info off RR. I am still having no such luck on either my 396 or 996 with picking up much...

Is there anyone that may have one of both of these scanners that can help me out? Perhaps if your's seems to work, I could possibly try to upload your .996 file to my scanners to see what is going on? Hell, at this point, I'd be willing to pay to have them programmed and working. Otherwise, once CRPD switches over I will be without anything.

IowaGuy1603

I drove around CR/Marion a bit today ..............Had one of these KS3 Tri-Band HAM / Scanner Magnetic Antenna
on top of my Ranger.

Pretty much 90% of the time I had capture on the audio and signal-----occasionally had to ATTENUATE but it was pretty good response for the most part......Only place I was not in was the NW section of the city.

by the way I had the current CRPD dispatch groups on their system ., Linn County F1 &2 and the Jail TG's as well as the Marion F1 on the same scan list

mrdinks

If your not hearing anything there is obviously something off. look through all the odd little settings, it might be something odd you overlooked. Do you hear J-com? I hear them about as good as Linn.
I had the 996T and had trouble with J-com but still could hear something. Have the BCD536HP and all is well. CR is going live Tuesday so get it figured out.

kjauron1

Premium Subscriber
If your not hearing anything there is obviously something off. look through all the odd little settings, it might be something odd you overlooked. Do you hear J-com? I hear them about as good as Linn.
I had the 996T and had trouble with J-com but still could hear something. Have the BCD536HP and all is well. CR is going live Tuesday so get it figured out.

I dont hear JCOM either...I am in Marion...so I'm not sure if I would be able to hear them anyways. Honestly, I don't know what settings to look at even. I used freescan, and just uploaded the files straight from there to my scanners, so it's whatever shows on there that I have in my scanners

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
I've got a 396T and am able to get LCOM P25 without issues and am able to get JCOM without problems when I'm in the IC area.

Initially when JCOM came online I had issues and made a few tweaks and am able to get the stations relatively clear. Same thing goes for LCOM.

Has anyone heard CRFD/PD on this system yet? If so, anyone able to capture the TG's that they were transmitted on?

I have totally deleted and re-added the Linn County P25 info off RR. I am still having no such luck on either my 396 or 996 with picking up much...

Is there anyone that may have one of both of these scanners that can help me out? Perhaps if your's seems to work, I could possibly try to upload your .996 file to my scanners to see what is going on? Hell, at this point, I'd be willing to pay to have them programmed and working. Otherwise, once CRPD switches over I will be without anything.

dgmaley

It WON'T WORK

I dont hear JCOM either...I am in Marion...so I'm not sure if I would be able to hear them anyways. Honestly, I don't know what settings to look at even. I used freescan, and just uploaded the files straight from there to my scanners, so it's whatever shows on there that I have in my scanners

OK
Here's the deal.
You will not be able to download the correct information right now.
The database is supposed to be updated this Saturday.
Suggest you do an update on Sunday and see if you get the correct information loaded.
The issue is the talk group numbers. The rest of us have been typing them in by hand but you should be able to get them after this update.
I tried doing a database update on a PSR800 and had the same problem you have. Wait until Sunday. Let us know how it works out.
Dave..

IowaGuy1603

I

Has anyone heard CRFD/PD on this system yet? If so, anyone able to capture the TG's that they were transmitted on?

They have not cut in yet...................officers are still going to training on the new radios as of today when I was listening

OK
Here's the deal.
You will not be able to download the correct information right now.
The database is supposed to be updated this Saturday.
Suggest you do an update on Sunday and see if you get the correct information loaded.
The issue is the talk group numbers. The rest of us have been typing them in by hand but you should be able to get them after this update.
I tried doing a database update on a PSR800 and had the same problem you have. Wait until Sunday. Let us know how it works out.
Dave..

Dave......he is saying he is hearing NOTHING from the P25 system

The system was up and running before Linn county and Marion came on line -----I was listening to it so it was working. He should be able to hear the jail TG's which have been on for a couple months.

He says he is not hearing anything so he has some setting wrong on his scanner

dgmaley

What!

They have not cut in yet...................officers are still going to training on the new radios as of today when I was listening

Dave......he is saying he is hearing NOTHING from the P25 system

The system was up and running before Linn county and Marion came on line -----I was listening to it so it was working. He should be able to hear the jail TG's which have been on for a couple months.

He says he is not hearing anything so he has some setting wrong on his scanner

What I did was build a new folder and loaded what ever is currently in the database. It only showed two test talk groups and nothing else. The web page appears to be current but the actual file download needs updated.
also.......
I seem to have been left behind as to why CRPD is getting new radios and training. I suspect the two systems will be cross-linked somehow. You have details?
Dave..

IowaGuy1603

What I did was build a new folder and loaded what ever is currently in the database. It only showed two test talk groups and nothing else. The web page appears to be current but the actual file download needs updated.
also.......
I seem to have been left behind as to why CRPD is getting new radios and training. I suspect the two systems will be cross-linked somehow. You have details?
Dave..

Linn county......Marion........and Cedar Rapids are all three going to be on the same system.the new LINN COUNTY P25 system.

That system is able to register on the JCOM system in Johnson County since they are both Harris system built by Racom...............they are identical simulcast systems

The Linn county jail has been using the system for several months AND the VHF F1, F2, F3 & F4 have been patched into the system for a couple months & I have been monitoring it for quite some time ----they were in the RR database for quite some time as TG
57921 e241 D Linn F1 F1 - 155.145 192.8 PL Law Dispatch
57922 e242 D Linn F2 F2 - 155.745 167.9 PL Law Dispatch
57923 e243 D Linn Sh F3 F3 - 155.625 192.8 PL Law Tac
57924 e244 D Linn Sh F4 F4 - 155.610 192.8 PL Law Talk

The new Talk Groups are
57011 deb3 D Linn Co Sh Sheriff F1 Law Dispatch
57012 deb4 D Linn Co Sh Sheriff F2 Law Dispatch
Jail
57016 deb8 D Linn Co Jail Jail Corrections
57017 deb9 D Linn Co Jail Jail Corrections

All of the NEW TG's were loaded on the database AFTER the Saturday update

http://www.kcrg.com/home/top-9/Linn-County-Switches-to-New-Radio-System-243434171.html

Status
Not open for further replies.