Getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iowa123

I am new to scanning and just purchased a home patrol unit. I live in the Iowa City area but cannot pick up Iowa City or Coralville. I have picked up the Johnson County sheriff and Cedar Rapids. Am I able to get IC and Coralville? I downloaded the HP Sentinel and updated the firmware when I purchased it but did not opt for the Extreme Upgrade.

I put in the Frequencies for Johnson Co Simulcast and have looked at the system talkgroups where it gives a "DEC" number (but I don't see anywhere in the HP that I could input that into) and nothing seems to work.

Any advise I could get would be appreciated.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Iowa City and Coralville Police are dispatched on talkgroup 52150, also known as "LAW 1". During the weekend nights Iowa City will be dispatched on talkgroup 52152, also known as "LAW 3". If you picked up Johnson County Sheriff on your scanner, it looks like your on the right track.

The next task is making sure your radio is looking for talkgroups 52150 and 52152. If you can get the scanner to hear those, your on the right track.

Tim

Iowa123

Ahhh, thank you. With the lack of chatter I'm getting - is this area pretty much all encrypted?

timkilbride

Database Admin
Yes, there is lots of encryption. LAW 1 and LAW 3 are NOT encrypted and have the most traffic. Those are good talk groups to use to get your radio going.

Tim

IowaGuy1603

Johnson County units are 52-XX
Iowa City Units are City XX
Coralville Units are Coralville 3xx
University of Iowa PD is encrypted but you might hear them talking to Johnson county or Iowa City

Listen on a Saturday night---you will hear plenty of units dispatched

Status
Not open for further replies.