Possible State Wide System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmo

The RFP went out over a year ago. After a lengthy and meticulous evaluation, Motorola was selected. Harris and their partner Racom immediately cried foul.

After a year of legal wrangling, it looks like their appeals are exhausted and as soon as funding is approved the project can move forward.

Now look for RACOM to lobby the governor, the senate, the media, or anybody else that will listen - "We are an Iowa company - save us! Vote no".

Time will tell.

It will definitely change scanning in Iowa. EDACS is at end of life and once this system goes in you will see a rapid migration off the RACOM system and onto the State. That will put almost everyone in Iowa public safety on the P25 path.

In the end it may look a lot like the system in Minnesota.

teufler

As for "scanning" reception will improve, course agencies could opt for encryption and then activity will change. Here in Mo, all Motorola, and for the most part, , you can copy activity much further. I will cause most Iowa scanner nuts to go by a new scanner though. Probably a type 2 scanner so bigger bucks.

emtcasey

Premium Subscriber
Just found out that Muscatine will be joining the starcom 21 system in Ill for all services. My understand of the reason for this is it that it will be a "easy" transition to the Iowa state wide system when it starts. It is also my understanding that the same guy or group that set up the Starcom21 system is working on the Iowa system and will have it up and running in 2 years. I guess we shall wait and see.

mikeydcg2003

The state system is for sure a go. It will be a Motorola P25 Phase 2 based system. The timeline is looking at about 2 years to full completion. The start of it will be in the Des Moines metro area. once the new controller is online in the metro, Dallas County will join onboard as well as westcom will be transitioned over to the new controller. The sites they have now will remain the same. Not sure of anyone else at this point that will be joining the state as far as the counties go.

Status
Not open for further replies.