RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Kansas Radio Discussion Forum

Kansas Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Kansas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Sounds like the system is up and down periodically for "radio update" again. Law Enforcement using RAM TAC again for the downtime.
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2012, 1:49 PM

I wonder what they're updating?

Scanners Include: Uniden BCD996T & Uniden BCD396XT
Old 10-15-2012, 4:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Short notice but, for those interested.

Union Pacific's "No. 844" Steam Locomotive will be traveling through Johnson County this morning. It has been at Union Station in KCMO since Saturday and will depart there at 7 a.m., headed for Paola (Miami County) for arrival estimated at 8:30 a.m..

This thing is notorious for being ahead of schedule. Early Saturday it was scheduled to pass through Lawrence at 11:30 a.m. and it had already been through town when several Lawrence Journal-World readers arrived disappointed at 11:15.

Unfortunately, I will be at work when it comes through the area but, thought I could share with everyone here in case there are any early rising rail fans out there.

UP's map shows two possible routes to make it from Union Station to Paola, I have been trying to get a response from the rail road all weekend as to which route they will be using, with no response.

The first route would back track from Union Station to the line which runs SW along Interstate 35 through Johnson County until around 135th Street when it turns south and runs parallel to K-7 Highway into Miami County, eventually cutting slightly SW to Paola.

The second route would take it east to near the Truman Sports Complex, then south through Swope Park, past the Bannister Federal Complex, and into Kansas just to the south of 143rd Street & Kenneth Road. Runs from there parallel with Mission Road from 159th Street to 175th Street, then SW through Stilwell and Bucyrus to Paola.

First route, in my opinion would make for better sightseeing, and show it off to the public more. But, like I said before it could use either route to make Paola.

Here are a few links that might be of interest:
UP Steam (UP_Steam) on Twitter
UP Steam Locomotive Tracking
Famous Union Pacific steam engine passes through Lawrence / LJWorld.com
Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 AM

Do all the JOCO cities and Fire District stations have their own station talk group in the range of 302XX to around 30236? Some of the TGIDs in the DB are listed as Admin. Perhaps every station has a Admin channel? Does anyone have a pumper, quint and ems assignment list? Miami County ER is now live on 34009. Also, seen some traffic on 34008 and 34007.
Old 10-27-2012, 3:52 PM
Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCoax View Post
Do all the JOCO cities and Fire District stations have their own station talk group in the range of 302XX to around 30236? Some of the TGIDs in the DB are listed as Admin. Perhaps every station has a Admin channel? Does anyone have a pumper, quint and ems assignment list? Miami County ER is now live on 34009. Also, seen some traffic on 34008 and 34007.
A friend shared this with me: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7c...DRBb1dtQVhZZU0

It is from 2010 but should be reasonably good still.

HH
Sponsored links

Old 10-28-2012, 3:06 AM

Great! Just what I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Anyone pick up the Johnson County P25 system in Lawrence area? I am on the west side of Lawrence and its just a bunch of grarble.The radio is tracking the trunking system. It shows Radio ID's and what Dept but the audio is not clear.

Thanks,

Rick
N0MED
Old 12-04-2012, 1:18 AM

Default JOCO Fire Alerting

Does anyone know what JOCO is using for fire station alerting these days? It appears the 154.250 frequency has been silent for some time. Did they finally get the CADVoiceŽ Station, the flagship product | Fire Station Alerting Response Systems by Locution Systems, Inc. (Locution's CADVoice system) up and running, or are they just activating station alarms on the P25 dispatch talkgroup?

I'm updating a few things in the scanners tonight and was going to pull 154.250 if it's no longer being used.
Old 12-04-2012, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY1 View Post
Anyone pick up the Johnson County P25 system in Lawrence area? I am on the west side of Lawrence and its just a bunch of grarble.The radio is tracking the trunking system. It shows Radio ID's and what Dept but the audio is not clear.
Welcome to the world of simulcasting. I can't even receive the Leavenworth Co. simulcast inside the county down near the Douglas Co. line. And I don't get JoCo or KC MARRS either. Scanner manufacturers are going to have to make some real improvements soon.

Bob, WoNXN
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2012, 4:29 PM

"Scanner manufacturers are going to have to make some real improvements soon"

AMEN!
I'm thinking that the simulcast issue can't possibly be as hard to solve, or at least improve, when you consider they cracked trunking, digital etc...
It can't come soon enough for me.
Here in Shawnee, I lose at least 25% of the traffic to unintelligible garble. Unless of course I happen to be monitoring it over in KCK or something! LOL

Jack007
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

Thanks,

Rick
N0MED
Rick, I was just wondering how well the JoCo system could be heard outside of the county, specifically to the west. I have been up north around the Kansas Speedway and Legends shopping center area of KCK and it seemed to track and receive pretty good. That part of KCK isn't all that far away from the transmitter site at Shawnee PD and Fire Station 72 (NE corner of I-435 & Johnson Drive).

What scanner and antenna are you using? Any luck with Leavenworth County's simulcast or the Johnson/Wyandotte county towers of KSICS? Does this seem to be specific to the JoCo system for you or a simulcast issue?

Unrelated and partially off topic but, I am looking at plans for Douglas County's P25 system and hoping on being able to receive it dependably with the assistance of an additional antenna on my roof here in Shawnee. I don't know enough about this P25 stuff to be much good at picking out the best antenna options. So if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to send them my way.
Old 12-09-2012, 4:18 PM
Database Admin

HI Mike
A good Yagi antenna would make your reception of the Douglas County system a reality.

If you put it on a rotator you could fine tune it and use it to null out multi-path distortions.

Also using LMR400 coax will get you a low loss cable run and help keep front end overload
from becoming an issue as it will have just enough loss to make it a pad for the front end of the radio.

There are some low cost models to look at:
All of these are under the Antennex brand
google is your friend...
YA9W-11
YA9-9
PC8910N
PC804N
PC904N

hope this helps.

Harry
Old 12-10-2012, 3:30 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks Harry. I have kind of been waiting on Douglas County to upgrade to P25 before I purchase everything. I currently monitor Douglas County Law Enforcement remotely, so reception isn't the issue. I would simply like to be able to stop depending on someone else's equipment.

I am also limited on my space for antenna, cables feeding them and my finances. I have been looking at this DPD Productions - 700-950 MHz UHF Plus LP Model Antenna to add some onmi-directional ability without adding more antenna, cables, or a rotator. I realize that is very low gain on the omni side but, I think it might just do the trick for KCMO's P25. I can monitor it from inside the east end of my house but, my shack is on the west side where there is no reception. My main need for antenna is Douglas County.
Old 12-10-2012, 3:33 PM
Database Admin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpleen85 View Post
Thanks Harry. I have kind of been waiting on Douglas County to upgrade to P25 before I purchase everything. I currently monitor Douglas County Law Enforcement remotely, so reception isn't the issue. I would simply like to be able to stop depending on someone else's equipment.

I am also limited on my space for antenna, cables feeding them and my finances. I have been looking at this DPD Productions - 700-950 MHz UHF Plus LP Model Antenna to add some onmi-directional ability without adding more antenna, cables, or a rotator. I realize that is very low gain on the omni side but, I think it might just do the trick for KCMO's P25. I can monitor it from inside the east end of my house but, my shack is on the west side where there is no reception. My main need for antenna is Douglas County.
Thanks for the Tip on DPD I had not seen these before. They look rino!

I will check them out further.

HH
Old 12-10-2012, 6:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hey Mike, I am using a Radio Shack Pro-197 digital scanner with 15 element directional 700 MHz antenna. I'll get up in the attic and point it more towards Johnson Drive and I-435 in the next week or two and let you know the results.

Thanks,

Rick
Lawrence, KS
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2012, 2:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Hey Mike, I am using a Radio Shack Pro-197 digital scanner with 15 element directional 700 MHz antenna. I'll get up in the attic and point it more towards Johnson Drive and I-435 in the next week or two and let you know the results.

Thanks,

Rick
Lawrence, KS
From the west side of Lawrence your nearest transmitter for the JoCo system should be just west of the old Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant. It is on Evening Star Road, just north of 135th Street, address of 13375 Evening Star Road.

Google Earth shows that transmitter site to be approximately 14.5 nautical miles to the east southeast from the intersection of George Williams Way and 6th Street on the west side of Lawrence.

The Shawnee and Olathe transmitter sites both look to be around 25 nautical miles from the same Lawrence intersection.

Here is a link to the RadioReference database that shows these sites on a map and lists their addresses.
WQKX487 (JOHNSON, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

The three remaining sites are listed here. WQKX488 (JOHNSON, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details
Old 12-11-2012, 9:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If it is only 14.5 miles there shouldn't be any reason why I shouldn't be picking this signal up clearly. Guess I will try reaiming the antenna. Thank you for the info MadSpleen85.

Rick Johnson
N0MED
Old 12-11-2012, 7:43 PM

Default Johnson County P-25 System

I live to the North of I -435 and Johnson Dr. and my home patrol is hit and miss on picking up the Johnson County system can't install an outside antenna because of HOA and don't want to put one up in the attic. I hope someday they will install more towers on the wyandotte county side of the kansas river. Any thoughts or ideas ?

Last edited by JTR604; 12-11-2012 at 7:46 PM..
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM

Are you using the stock antenna? If so, go to RS and pick-up the RS800 handheld "rubber duck" antenna. If this doesn't work. Also, purchase 8' to 10' RG cable. I have a similar problem with KCMO. I located a small spot that receives the signal perfect. You'd be surprised a couple feet (if not inches) makes when scanning simulcast P25 with these scanners.
Old 12-13-2012, 4:25 PM

Default Johnson County P-25 System

What Do I do with the 8' to 10' RG cable ? I have the RS 800 Handheld rubber duck antenna.