RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Kansas Radio Discussion Forum

Kansas Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Kansas.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2011, 11:52 AM
KAA951's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 755
Default Motorbridge questionable

From my practical experience with the KDOT Motorbridge system- the theory sounds much better than the actual product. The main issue seems to be that KDOT (intentionally?) put in substandard transmitters for Motobridge (you won't find low power transmitters without the Batwing anywhere else in their inventory) and the channel plan is a mess!

When you use any of the call channels to contact the KHP Central Dispatch- it keys up every call transmitter in range. What you end up with is complete jibberish. The only way I have successfully arranged for a Motobridge patch was via cell phone- and even then the process was painful.

The audio quality you get even when the patch is up (the exception is on 800) is poor. I was within a mile of one of their tower sites and could not get a clear signal to them on any mutual aid channel due to the overlapping repeater signals.

I would not rely on this system as your Mutual Aid comms answer.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Butler County, Ks
Posts: 67
Default

I agree, Motobridge is less than perfect. However we are not using the KHP Motobridge to patch. Our dispatchers can patch any channels they have in the consoles together. It works quite well other than the short delay. This has been done several times with good results.
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2011, 12:58 PM
mancow's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N.E. Kansas
Posts: 4,734
Default

That's interesting. I hadn't thought of the overlapping comms issue. I took a class in Salina some time back and we were testing the system. I was using an MBITR on 39.700 and we patched it to 800. The system sounded great but the fact that there are no low band repeaters and the 800 was nearby might have prevented the issue you mentioned.

I do notice you can key up several of the Uhf interop repeaters with a hand held all at the same time. They end up sounding like 10 Meter ham during a band opening.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAA951 View Post
From my practical experience with the KDOT Motorbridge system- the theory sounds much better than the actual product. The main issue seems to be that KDOT (intentionally?) put in substandard transmitters for Motobridge (you won't find low power transmitters without the Batwing anywhere else in their inventory) and the channel plan is a mess!

When you use any of the call channels to contact the KHP Central Dispatch- it keys up every call transmitter in range. What you end up with is complete jibberish. The only way I have successfully arranged for a Motobridge patch was via cell phone- and even then the process was painful.

The audio quality you get even when the patch is up (the exception is on 800) is poor. I was within a mile of one of their tower sites and could not get a clear signal to them on any mutual aid channel due to the overlapping repeater signals.

I would not rely on this system as your Mutual Aid comms answer.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2011, 3:52 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 7
Default

Each attempt to test the Motobridge has resulted in failure. This year we skipped the mandatory testing and just used the 800’s in order to fulfill the interoperability testing requirements.

Just a little more fuel to the fire. It is nearly impossible to reach the KHP tower with the 800 portable. The UHF portables are reaching the tower every time, but without a successful patch it is useless.

Hopefully others in the state are having better luck than we are.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2011, 6:10 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 323
Default

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the Motobridge is a joke.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
        
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2011, 7:43 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Butler County, Ks
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbentley445 View Post
Just a little more fuel to the fire. It is nearly impossible to reach the KHP tower with the 800 portable. The UHF portables are reaching the tower every time, but without a successful patch it is useless.
I'm not sure where you are, but in Butler County we have no problem at all hitting KHP towers with portables. I have heard time and time again that Motobridge does not work, but the patches our system has built in seem to be good resolutions.
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
Default Which UTAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccluskey View Post
Mitch,

Dispatch can patch the UHF to the 800, provided they have the UHF channel... Radios will have to be programmed with the UCall and UTac channels for this, as I don't think Butler 911 has Cowley channels.
Dan - which UTAC channel should we use to contact Butler County? Will this channel be routinely monitored?

Would like to conduct a test before we really need to use it.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2011, 7:44 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Butler County, Ks
Posts: 67
Default

Mitch,

Butler County 9-1-1 monitors UCALL40 all the time. You can call them on it and then they can assign you to UTAC41, UTAC42 or UTAC43. They can patch the UHF and 800 channels, we have done that a couple of different times up here, but they must have the UHF channel you are on to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2011, 12:18 AM
nec911's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Topeka-Shawnee County
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefive76 View Post
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the Motobridge is a joke.
I have been using Moto-bridge for testing at some local agencies here in Topeka. The only problems I have had was with the fact that 8TAC91 from Topeka's tower is getting interference from the 8TAC91 hanging on the Douglas County tower. We even used Moto-bridge down at Reading for the tornado a couple times.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
        
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2011, 1:27 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
Default Not able to hit UTAC41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccluskey View Post
Mitch,

Butler County 9-1-1 monitors UCALL40 all the time. You can call them on it and then they can assign you to UTAC41, UTAC42 or UTAC43. They can patch the UHF and 800 channels, we have done that a couple of different times up here, but they must have the UHF channel you are on to do it.
I have programmed our base station at our station for the UCALL and UTAC channels. I can't seem to hit anything on UTAC41. I got repeater responses from UCALL40, UTAC42 and UTAC43.

I called in on UCALL40 for Butler County dispatch and was going to try and have them patch UTAC42 to Atlanta's 800 group - didn't get any repsonse from Butler County Dispatch.
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 7
Default

Did you try calling KHP Dispatch from the Ucall 40? Here is the link with all the instructions for the Motobridge.

http://www.kansastag.gov/AdvHTML_Doc...%20Revised.pdf
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions