radio shack noaa pro-405 desktop scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellig

I have the radio shack noaa pro-405 desktop scanner. The numbers for my area Butler County Kansas didn't work so I called one of my friends and programmed my numbers that worked with his scanner. The only thing that works is the weather and the fm radio. I tried Initializing the Scanner with no luck. I hope someone can help me.

Thanks!

Kelli

jasonkw

Butler county is changing over to digital. You will a digital scanner to hear them such as the PRO106/197. Is your friend still hearing traffic?

Last edited:

n0lqt

I have the radio shack noaa pro-405 desktop scanner. The numbers for my area Butler County Kansas didn't work so I called one of my friends and programmed my numbers that worked with his scanner. The only thing that works is the weather and the fm radio. I tried Initializing the Scanner with no luck. I hope someone can help me. Thanks! Kelli

You didn't mention whether you just recently bought this or not. If so, I hope you didn't pay too much. Anymore, a non-digital (meaning P-25 capable) scanner is pretty much a paper weight for any public service scanning (at least in Kansas). All of Butler County Public Service communications have moved to the KSICS P-25 digital system. That type of transmission is not decoded by your radio. The Pro-106, Pro-197, Pro-96, and Pro-2096 are all P-25 capable scanners. Even Sedgwick County is moving toward digital in the not too distant future. Some of the less populated counties are still on FM, but even those will become a problem in a couple of years or less. There is a FCC mandate for these agencies to change to a Narrow-band FM format before July 2013 I believe. The Pro-405 is not narrow-band capable either.

If you are just interested in VHF/UHF Ham, Trains, Aircraft (non-military), and some business band, then the Pro-405 was a fine scanner.

kellig

My friend is able to hear things and his is not digital. He has an older one than I have so its not a paper weight. I don't believe Butler has gone over to digital if he is still able to get the stations.

Kelli

n0lqt

Uniden 396, 796, 996 are ones that come to mind.

RadioShack Pro 106 and Pro 197 are the current RS scanners. (both on sale right now I noticed today when getting some parts) Pro 96 and 2096 for used units, but for the minor price differences, I go with a new one.

GRE PSR 500, 600, & 800. Essentially the same as the RadioShack models with only minor cosmetic differences.

To see what's on the KSICS and Butler County system, try the audio feed: Butler County Area Emergency Services (Police, Sheriff, EMS, EMA)

n0lqt

They all have computer interface ports. With an interface cable and the correct software you can create numerous scanner loads for various purposes. Many have the ability to hold thousands of objects. (KSICS alone has over 1300 talk groups) Of course, programming by keypad is possible, just tedious for large systems.

If you get a premium membership to RR you can even use the web interface in most of the software packages to directly download the system information from RR to your software and then into the scanner.

Last summer I drove to Canada and back. I was able to load various scanner loads in "virtual" banks in my Pro-106 for each of the states (and several provinces) we went thru.

Check the RR Wiki for information on the various units....

kellig

Pro 197

Hello,

I bought a Pro 197 that is going to get mailed to me. I bought the software and the cable to program it. Is it hard to program? Should I return it. I was told the manager would program it but now I am told she wasn't supposed to program it so I have to do it on my own and I am scared. Please tell me your thoughts.

Kelli

n0lqt

Which software did you get? I'm using Starrsoft WIN500. There are a bunch of users in the Butler County area that use that package. It has the ability to download frequencies and talkgroups directly out of the RR database if you are a paid subscriber to RR. It also has a thirty day free trial.....

Status
Not open for further replies.