RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Kansas Radio Discussion Forum

Kansas Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Kansas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Default KC metro fire station map

Hey guys,

Awhile back, I decided to try and get a visual idea of how apparatus and personnel were distributed throughout the metro area, so I took it upon myself to map out as many of the fire stations on the major departments in the KC area as I could find. Check it out:

Kansas City Metro Fire station locations - Google Maps

I believe I have about 90% of everything listed, with exception to Independence and some of the Platte County and Clay County stuff on the MO-side of things. I have verified all of the Johnson County units and KCKFD's apparatus, as well as most of Leavenworth County.

Then I got ambitious and did Wichita/Sedgwick County as well:

Wichita Metro Fire/EMS Stations - Google Maps

I also have one for the Denver area, but being that that's in the evil state of Colorado, it's not relevant here. ;P

My next project is to incorporate the MAST units assigned with their new KCFD houses, as well as MedAct in JoCo. Let me know what you guys think.
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2011, 12:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Dude!! I so want to thank ya for the Wichita Map. Great Job!!
Old 06-14-2011, 7:25 PM
Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Very Good Job! Now how to make a wall sized print of this.
Old 06-15-2011, 9:47 PM

Nice job on the Wichita map...just one omission if I might...what about the Emergency Management Station and reserve Fire units (is it still on Tyler?) I think the unit numbers are all 300 series I think they have an engine and squad maybe more?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorone View Post
Hey guys,

I also have one for the Denver area, but being that that's in the evil state of Colorado, it's not relevant here. ;P

My next project is to incorporate the MAST units assigned with their new KCFD houses, as well as MedAct in JoCo. Let me know what you guys think.
Evil Colorado? There must be a story there...... However I would love the Denver map if you don't mind.
Jason
Sponsored links

Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOP68AR View Post
Evil Colorado? There must be a story there...... However I would love the Denver map if you don't mind.
Jason
It's a joke I have with some relatives that live in the Castle Rock and Colorado Springs areas. ;P

Here's the Denver Map:

Denver Metro Area Fire Stations - Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgruver911 View Post
Nice job on the Wichita map...just one omission if I might...what about the Emergency Management Station and reserve Fire units (is it still on Tyler?) I think the unit numbers are all 300 series I think they have an engine and squad maybe more?
I honestly have no idea. I did all of this from available info online, so it's not impossible that I missed something (in fact, I'd probably bet money on it). I live up in KC area, so it's not often I get to hit the Wichita area to do anything, much less verify this. I think I'll have to do a one-day road trip sometime and make sure this is all legit.
Old 06-16-2011, 7:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There used to be a sign along I-70 back in the late 70's between Goodland KS and Burlington, CO.
It said, "Welcome to Kansas, Please set your watch back 30 years."

Why is it a mobile news crew has never been abducted by aliens?
Old 06-17-2011, 7:10 AM

Well, good news and bad news re: Sedgwick County Fire Reserve. I found this website:
Wichita-Sedgwick County Fire Reserve
which talks about the old station 300 on Tyler, which apparently was sold off 2 years ago. It appears that the 3 engines and a squad were to be moved to the old SCFD station 2 at 53rd and I135 but some changes were made by EM and it says they reduced the number of vehicles to 2 and split them between 2 stations, but doesn't say which stations. And the tab it says to go to for station is blank.
Old 06-17-2011, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0lqt View Post
There used to be a sign along I-70 back in the late 70's between Goodland KS and Burlington, CO.
It said, "Welcome to Kansas, Please set your watch back 30 years."
I've seen that sign before. KDOT took it down a few years back after it became a ritual for FHSU college kids to go out on the weekends and take pics with it. ;P

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgruver911 View Post
Well, good news and bad news re: Sedgwick County Fire Reserve. I found this website:
Wichita-Sedgwick County Fire Reserve
which talks about the old station 300 on Tyler, which apparently was sold off 2 years ago. It appears that the 3 engines and a squad were to be moved to the old SCFD station 2 at 53rd and I135 but some changes were made by EM and it says they reduced the number of vehicles to 2 and split them between 2 stations, but doesn't say which stations. And the tab it says to go to for station is blank.
I think I remember seeing that website while trying to find all the stations for Sedgwick Co. EMS, and yeah, followed up on it with the same results you had.

EDIT: I'm stuck on where I should go with this project next. Should I do places like St. Louis, Omaha, Des Moines, Tulsa, OKC, etc.? Or should I fill out the state of Kansas first?

Last edited by factorone; 06-17-2011 at 9:32 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2011, 9:08 PM

Here are a couple I seen for KC Metro

Claycomo Fire Department‎
333 NE 69 Hwy
Kansas City, MO 64108

Sugar Creek Fire Department
1001 Heroes Way
Sugar Creek, MO
Old 06-18-2011, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeator View Post
Here are a couple I seen for KC Metro

Claycomo Fire Department‎
333 NE 69 Hwy
Kansas City, MO 64108

Sugar Creek Fire Department
1001 Heroes Way
Sugar Creek, MO
I'll add these on Monday.

I went ahead and did Colorado Springs on a whim Friday afternoon:

Colorado Springs Fire Stations - Google Maps

It's not complete yet, but I'll have the major fire districts on the outer edges of town and in the foothills added Monday afternoon.

I also had an individual (I don't know who it is on here) email me info for Topeka/Shawnee County, so I'll be doing that Monday afternoon, and it's likely I'll add Lawrence/Douglas County in there with it (make it one map). I guess I'll finish up Colorado Springs, and then start to try and fill out the rest of the state of Kansas with a few big maps.

Game on.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 AM

Updates:

Started a map for Topeka/Shawnee County & Lawrence/Douglas County. So far Shawnee County is complete for what information is available (I was able to get most of the department station locations, but some don't have apparatus assignments yet). I'll update those as I get a chance. Lawrence will be added later this week.

Topeka & Lawrence Fire Station Locations - Google Maps