RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Kansas Radio Discussion Forum

Kansas Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Kansas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 4:15 AM

Default Wichita area Tornado

Read more here: Tornadoes rake Wichita area, causing significant damage | Wichita Eagle
A preliminary assessment by city and county officials estimated the damage to be as much as $283 million.
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2012, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thagewood View Post
Read more here: Tornadoes rake Wichita area, causing significant damage | Wichita Eagle
A preliminary assessment by city and county officials estimated the damage to be as much as $283 million.
Looks like the same thing can happen all over again today with the way the radar looks. A new line of storms has kicked up and going over almost the same region.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Default Kansas Tornado Outbreak Recordings

These three recordings from the outbreak of tornadoes yesterday across Kansas
highlight that State's use of amateur radio repeater links and overall ability
to track tornadoes. The radio traffic is a combination of amateur radio spotters
using the "K-Link" north to south central Kansas repeater system relaying
National Weather Service and news media reports, and fire and law enforcement
dispatchers and spotters. Radio traffic is courtesy of Radioreference.com Storm
chaser video courtesy of Tornadovideos.net

2012/04/14 Kansas Tornado Outbreak
Part 1 Justin.tv - Radioman 911 - 2012/04/14 Kansas Tornado Outbreak Part 1
Part 2 Justin.tv - Radioman 911 - 2012/04/14 Kansas Tornado Outbreak Part 2
Part 3 Justin.tv - Radioman 911 - 2012/04/14 Kansas Tornado Outbreak Part 3 - South Wichita Strike (south Wichita strike)
Twitter www.Twitter.com/Radioman911
Old 04-16-2012, 4:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What was interesting about this storm system was that it was not really a "system" but more of an "outbreak." The most intense cells were extremely isolated and very narrowly focused. I live in Newton and we didn't get a drop of rain at my location until the dry line moved thru at about 4 am (long after all the tornados had gone thru). I don't think we even heard any thunder to speak of. My wife works in Moundridge (14 miles north) and a funnel cloud literally went right over the top of her building. No damage though...

Likewise, my daughter lives near Leon (south of August) and she too got no rain at her house, even though the cell that caused all the damage in Wichita moved right up the north side of the KS Turnpike less than 15 miles away.

The individual cells were all moving roughly northeast, but at vastly different speeds. Fifteen miles either side of the path was just windy night it seemed

Why is it a mobile news crew has never been abducted by aliens?
Old 04-16-2012, 6:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Why is the archived audio from the WA0RJE, 146.94, Wichita RACES net repeater missing from the time of the tornado strike in S. Wichita. It's the 4/14/12, 10:32 pm — 11:05 pm archive?
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2012, 7:04 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Angry Missing Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by craighacker View Post
Why is the archived audio from the WA0RJE, 146.94, Wichita RACES net repeater missing from the time of the tornado strike in S. Wichita. It's the 4/14/12, 10:32 pm 11:05 pm archive?
The audio is missing as I lost power to my house (I was just east of the main tornado) during that time. I do have a battery back-up, however my modem for the stream feed was not connected to the battery back-up. Doh! That's going to change.....

craighacker, please send me a pm...
Old 04-19-2012, 8:53 AM

It was quite a day! A day we may never see again... But besides the damage and economic impact. no one died. That, on top of everything else, is truly amazing.

Now, not to forget the citizens of Woodward, OK. Who got hit hard twice in 10 days. While 6 people died in that tornado, and many others were injured. You look at the numbers from 4/14/12 - 115 prelim tornado reports... Very lucky.

@n0lqt We had about 5 minutes of light rain down here in Arkansas City, that was it... We were very lucky down here in Cowley Co. we, for some reason always get hit bad down here.
Old 04-19-2012, 9:07 AM

Around 7:00 PM that evening, one of the spotters gave the 1056 Radioreference listeners a "hi" over the air on the K-Link system.

It's at the 14.31 minute mark in the feed archives.