KSICS comms on alternate control channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
Would we ever hear KSICS comms on alternate control channels, while the primary is in use - of course.

Each county has about 5 & sometimes more freq's per county. I realize the KSICS primary control channels - control the network & the other freq's seem to carry the Tx's but I wasn't sure if the alternate control channels would do anything else like carry Tx's or just sit quietly & be ready to take control should the primary give out...

I noticed one frequency, that's neither a primary or a secondary, seems to always remain silent... Is it just a backup for system failure in Tx's or overflow safety?

I'm new to all this - bear with me.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
If the specific gets extremely busy, you will see those alternate CC's be used as voice channels.

I have observed this here in Indiana on Project Hoosier SAFE-T a few times (especially winter or severe weather). Not common, but it can happen.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Would we ever hear KSICS comms on alternate control channels, while the primary is in use - of course.

Each county has about 5 & sometimes more freq's per county. I realize the KSICS primary control channels - control the network & the other freq's seem to carry the Tx's but I wasn't sure if the alternate control channels would do anything else like carry Tx's or just sit quietly & be ready to take control should the primary give out...

I noticed one frequency, that's neither a primary or a secondary, seems to always remain silent... Is it just a backup for system failure in Tx's or overflow safety?

I'm new to all this - bear with me.

All channels should be able to carry voice traffic, except for the control channel. The control channel, primary or secondary, is sending the data the radios use to know when and which channel to go to when there is voice traffic on the talk group they are affiliated to. With out that data the radio can not know when or what channel to tune to to hear a voice call.

When the users radio is not actively transmitting or receiving on a talk group it sits and listens to the active control channel until the talk group it is affiliated to becomes active, once a voice call is set up, the subscriber radio is told which channel to tune to, and then goes to the channel for the duration of the call, once over it returns to the control channel.

looking at the RR database you see red primary and blue alternate control channels, what these are, is occasionally (once a day/week/12hrs./what ever the engineer/system admin chooses) the site will switch to one of the alternate Control channels. This is to give the primary control channel a 'rest' from being keyed down 24/7. When it switches it should be to one of these alternate frequencies.

While the control channel is on an alternate (blue)frequency, if the site gets loaded with lots of voice traffic, it will use the 'primary control' channel as a voice channel as well so that users do not get bonks.

The one channel that remains always silent probably means that the engineers did their home work, and designed the site to have more than enough capacity for the coverage area of the site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.