Problems Programming 396XT for Sedgwick County

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky3200

Premium Subscriber
Got a new 396XT, downloaded FreeScan, downloaded the frequencies for Sedgwick County (Project 25) from RR. When I turn it on to scan, the scanner display shows "Simulcast ID Search" and the "Hold" icon is flashing. At one point, I did manage to get it to try to scan WPD, but it kept saying something like "Looking for ID". I've been reading through the online manual and have gotten nowhere. Any help would be appreciated.

starwtc

Press scan, hold should not be showing. Did you download the talk groups as well as all of the frequencies because the TG's should show up. On the RR page it show as Project 25 Phase I but below in Misc System Information it shows Project 25 Phase II TRS so if they are using Phase II you will need the newer radio.

sparky3200

Premium Subscriber
Press scan, hold should not be showing. Did you download the talk groups as well as all of the frequencies because the TG's should show up. On the RR page it show as Project 25 Phase I but below in Misc System Information it shows Project 25 Phase II TRS so if they are using Phase II you will need the newer radio.

I did not see anything on the RR pages I looked at that said it was Phase II in Sedgwick County. I have loaded all of the talk groups and frequencies. I had a similar problem a little over a year ago when I updated the frequencies on my old Pro-97 (before they went digital here). For some reason, the RR download had an invalid control frequency, which led to no channels being recieved. Don't know if this is the issue or not, as I have not quite gotten the hang of navigation on the new scanner. I'm seriously considering exchanging it for a 436HP. What are your thoughts on that model as far as ease of use compared to the 396. I simply do not have the time or energy at the end of a long day to sit down and program a scanner. I miss the old days of going to Radio Shack and buying crystals to install....yes, I'm showing my age here!

teufler

sedgwick cty file

I believe this file will do.. A Freescan file, it is zipped so you will need an unzip utility. Anything that unzips will work. I have changed the modulstion setting , to FM from NBFN, on the 846-868 mhz range, per discussions that were held on RR as many got audio that seemed better. Less underwater sound. This can be changed in Freescan, Scanner, open band plan editor and change back to nbfm. FIPS codes set for Sedwick, Harper, Sumner counties for weather alerts.. Once you get the hang of the 396xt, many like it over the 436. If you travel alot, the 436 has advantages but if you have access to a computer, that advantage is minimized. The 396xt is smaller than the 436. Navigation or going to a specific frequency or channel is harder than what you got used to on the pro-97 but those days are gone. DMA or OBJECT ORIENTED MEMORY STORAGE is what scanners now have. Yoiu can assign a number tag, you just have to remember what number tag is assigned to what you want to listen to. We don't have banks anymore, you have systems and sites and groups, so we have quick keys. With Freescan you can print out a small crib sheet of what is assigned to what numeric keys.This function is located under the print icon. Make sure you uncheck the print summary boxes or you will have mountainsd of paper when you only want the quick key assignments. The assignments of numbers as system quick keys, group quick keys or number keys is a subject that you will study and review and review.

Attachments

• segwick cty ks.zip
    12.4 KB · Views: 59

bear780ks

Sparky3200 if your having issues getting your scanner programmed or just don't want to mess in hassle of Programing it, Head down to Derby Radio shack and have them Program the radio it should only Take a few minutes if there not to Busy.! I had my programmed there and they do a Very good Job programming the Radio's..

The cost of Programming is around $20.00 if you buy a Radio in store programming is Free it comes with the Radio..

Status
Not open for further replies.