KSICS Runneth over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
I'm getting really far away stuff & its not being dragged around. Showing logins to no TGID, lots. Seeing far away logins & logouts to stuff I rarely , if ever get...

Just wondering if anyone else is logging this? Could this be related to the solar activity?

nec911

I'm getting really far away stuff & its not being dragged around. Showing logins to no TGID, lots. Seeing far away logins & logouts to stuff I rarely , if ever get...

Just wondering if anyone else is logging this? Could this be related to the solar activity?

When were you receiving these?
I was in Salina for two days for training and had my radio on scan for the talkgroups that I listen to here in Topeka.

joeuser

The Wretched
I should mention that I caught all this off the Osborne County KSICS tower.

Also, for you city slickers, Osborne PD (not the SO), Chief of police has family out towards KC - he runs his portable to monitor things in Osborne. So if you see that traffic that's why. TGID 4400 (TAC's on 01 & 02) His RID is 45654 or 46638 (One of these is a portable that sits in the PD office). I don't think he takes his car but it is 46635.

I'm curious if you guys have caught any of this traffic? Last night he called off a chase around 2300-ish

dgruver911

Yes, the skip has been tremendous lately. One of my dispatchers got a call yesterday from a dispatch center on the eastern edge of Missouri; probably 600 miles ENE of us. Apparently our 8 watt link transmitters for our County Law channel were overriding their link transmitters for one of their channels. Don't know what they thought we were going to do about it, but that's a long haul for a low power UHF radio....

joeuser

The Wretched
Yes, the skip has been tremendous lately. One of my dispatchers got a call yesterday from a dispatch center on the eastern edge of Missouri; probably 600 miles ENE of us. Apparently our 8 watt link transmitters for our County Law channel were overriding their link transmitters for one of their channels. Don't know what they thought we were going to do about it, but that's a long haul for a low power UHF radio....
Yeah it is! I never thought 800 would be effected also. Makes for interesting monitoring though!

frazpo

Aren't you running Unitrunker? So your setup has one dongle on the CC. I don't think your dealing with propagation. Wouldn't that have to override your existing CC data to receive another CC frequency. Unless there's another CC with the same frequency I suppose. But you would think it would conflict with the one you monitor. Was there possibly a convention or something that was bringing in cars from other areas? This would also bring you voice traffic from other areas also. I monitor KSICS near SE Ks and have heard car stops way out in the middle of the state due to this. Just a theory. I am unsure of your setup, but I have noticed you talk a lot about Unitrunker.

joeuser

The Wretched
Aren't you running Unitrunker? So your setup has one dongle on the CC. I don't think your dealing with propagation. Wouldn't that have to override your existing CC data to receive another CC frequency. Unless there's another CC with the same frequency I suppose. But you would think it would conflict with the one you monitor. Was there possibly a convention or something that was bringing in cars from other areas? This would also bring you voice traffic from other areas also. I monitor KSICS near SE Ks and have heard car stops way out in the middle of the state due to this. Just a theory. I am unsure of your setup, but I have noticed you talk a lot about Unitrunker.

Yeah, I'm using UT & I'm on the Osborne county tower & CC. They do use the same frequencies for towers but they are spread apart. So its either the signals 'skipping' to the Osborne tower or I'm picking up other tower's CC's 'skipping' to my antenna. I'm not sure. I use 'skipping' for lack of a better word...

frazpo

Yeah, I'm using UT & I'm on the Osborne county tower & CC. They do use the same frequencies for towers but they are spread apart. So its either the signals 'skipping' to the Osborne tower or I'm picking up other tower's CC's 'skipping' to my antenna. I'm not sure. I use 'skipping' for lack of a better word...

I am familiar with skip with simple analog voice. However you are decoding a control channel with accurate data. This being said, you are implying that the "skip" is over riding your existing CC frequency. Your SDR dongle can only except one frequency, which is your CC channel. I am just not seeing this as the case. Seems the CC's would conflict if by chance your are picking up another CC with the same frequency.
If someone could correct me if I am wrong. It just seems your strong signal from Osbourne would not allow another distant signal to over ride it.
Voice skip is common between local transmissions but are unlikely to be heard during local transmissions. Make sense?

joeuser

The Wretched
I am familiar with skip with simple analog voice. However you are decoding a control channel with accurate data. This being said, you are implying that the "skip" is over riding your existing CC frequency. Your SDR dongle can only except one frequency, which is your CC channel. I am just not seeing this as the case. Seems the CC's would conflict if by chance your are picking up another CC with the same frequency.
If someone could correct me if I am wrong. It just seems your strong signal from Osbourne would not allow another distant signal to over ride it.
Voice skip is common between local transmissions but are unlikely to be heard during local transmissions. Make sense?

That does make sense, the local CC would always be stronger. So it must be the units signals making the trip to the local tower?

nd5y

If you see affiliations I assume that means they are on the local tower but I don't know how KSICS is set up.
If somebody drags a talkgroup across the state or they have patched talkgroups and then radios affiliate on the distant site I don't know if they will also show up on your local site.
Each site should broadcast a neighbor site list and as far as I know if a radio loses the control channel it will search the neighbor sites list for a control channel and not another more distant site. If there is a band opening then it could prevent them from receiving the neighboring control channels. Maybe that is wat was happening.

joeuser

The Wretched
If you see affiliations I assume that means they are on the local tower but I don't know how KSICS is set up.
If somebody drags a talkgroup across the state or they have patched talkgroups and then radios affiliate on the distant site I don't know if they will also show up on your local site.
Each site should broadcast a neighbor site list and as far as I know if a radio loses the control channel it will search the neighbor sites list for a control channel and not another more distant site. If there is a band opening then it could prevent them from receiving the neighboring control channels. Maybe that is wat was happening.

I've seen traffic dragged around the state. It's different than what I'm seeing. Traffic dragged brings everything that ID is associated with. I'm seeing random logins, log out, & calls intermittently. Not so much today, but it is Sunday...

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
Been paying closer attention to any KSICS transmissions on my 996T since you (joeuser) brought this up......nothing out of the ordinary here in Topeka/Shawnee county w/ N.E Ks. related KSICS being monitored.

Status
Not open for further replies.