New north central Kansas feed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
I have a feed up now, just got started. Hope to do a stereo feed with KSICS on one & local conventional dispatches on the other...

Here is the link:

North Central Kansas Counties Law, Fire and EMS Dispatch

Here are the details:

Includes Osborne(Primary), Lincoln, Smith, Mitchell, Phillips, Russell, & Rooks county's law enforcement, fire & EMS along with KHP Troop D Hays - dispatch channels.

FEED NOTES

Based off the Osborne KSICS tower which is less than 1/2 mile away from the receiver...

This feed will broadcast the following KSICS TGID's:

4400 - Osborne County Sheriff Disp (Primary)
4302 - Lincoln County Sheriff Disp
4480 - Smith County Law 1 Disp
4687 - Mitchell County Sheriff Disp
4572 - Phillips County Law Disp
4286 - Russell County Sheriff Disp
4292 - Russell County EMS Disp
4298 - Russell County Fire Disp
4370 - Rooks County Law Disp
4372 - Rooks County EMS Disp
4374 - Rooks County Fire Disp
1258 - KHP Troop D Hays Disp

This is done using Software Defined Radio (SDR) on a XP Pro SP3+fixes 24/7/365 dedicated computer system. Specs: Core2 Duo @ 3.00GHz (E6850) & 3GB RAM. System has battery backup for quick power outages, brown outs, & sags. This system is rebooted weekly - on Friday mornings, typically. No conventional channels are broadcast currently.

joeuser

The Wretched
I'm going to have to rework this feed... I was hoping (trying) to bring in my BCD436HP's content, as its on my 800 omni. I was going to run it on L channel & my SDR system that just gets one tower (& operates using the default included NooElec mini antennas) on the R. Do the stereo feed thing...

Never going to work... Think I'll take a 396XT, hook it up to either my ST2 or my Centerfire & just slave it to the feed. Hate to waste a whole radio on it but... I should mention I'm not slaving my 436, while it gets all the other towers around (I locked out the tower the SDR uses) I'm actually using Jeff Deskins - wonderful Scanner Monitor app to pipe the signal from my main office into my den...

Gaah!

mancow

Database Admin
I never could get a clean decode using SDR and DSD with P25. Did you use the tune app thing?

Probably should have taken this to email since it's off topic, sorry.

joeuser

The Wretched
I never could get a clean decode using SDR and DSD with P25. Did you use the tune app thing?

I quit using SDR#! Just use Unitrunker (outstanding) & DSD+ (also outstanding) now. So easy this caveman could do it!

joeuser

The Wretched

I'd be more than happy to set one up with you, esp. if its going to be P25 - feel comfortable with that system now.

Well, I've decided to change the feed from my SDR - UT & DSD+ to one of my Uniden BCD396XT's. Its just going to be easier & tags should start working...

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Hey man, I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but you really need to pick an agency for your stream, because "Everything in North Central Kansas" doesn't work. Your scan list is so huge that the stream is for the most part unlistenable. It's nothing but a jumble of random conversation fragments. A lot of that has to do with the mix of KSICS and analog - so drop everything analog for starters. Having to drop the control channel to scan a hundred analog channels and then go resync to the control channel is causing the scanner to miss easily 60% of the transmissions. So delete everything analog and lock it into KSICS. Then prune down the TG list. Most of what I do hear is KHP, so my suggestion is going to be to dedicate your feed to KHP, and have the Med flights in there too.

You're not going to get anything but sparse random chatter from any of the Rooks/Phillips/Smith/Mitchell TGs because that traffic won't come through the Russell tower unless one of their units drags it down here. Osborne and Lincoln would probably have traffic on the Russell tower, but since it's only the Sheriff, it will only be when they are closer to the Russell tower than theirs.

Dump the Parks and Wildlife TGs because their traffic is so few and far between it's not worth carrying.

Russell already has a feed, so no sense duplicating them at the expense of missing KHP calls.

Like I said I'm not trying to dictate your feed, but in its present configuration it just doesn't work.

nec911

Hey man, I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but you really need to pick an agency for your stream, because "Everything in North Central Kansas" doesn't work. Your scan list is so huge that the stream is for the most part unlistenable. It's nothing but a jumble of random conversation fragments. A lot of that has to do with the mix of KSICS and analog - so drop everything analog for starters. Having to drop the control channel to scan a hundred analog channels and then go resync to the control channel is causing the scanner to miss easily 60% of the transmissions. So delete everything analog and lock it into KSICS. Then prune down the TG list. Most of what I do hear is KHP, so my suggestion is going to be to dedicate your feed to KHP, and have the Med flights in there too.

You're not going to get anything but sparse random chatter from any of the Rooks/Phillips/Smith/Mitchell TGs because that traffic won't come through the Russell tower unless one of their units drags it down here. Osborne and Lincoln would probably have traffic on the Russell tower, but since it's only the Sheriff, it will only be when they are closer to the Russell tower than theirs.

Dump the Parks and Wildlife TGs because their traffic is so few and far between it's not worth carrying.

Russell already has a feed, so no sense duplicating them at the expense of missing KHP calls.

Like I said I'm not trying to dictate your feed, but in its present configuration it just doesn't work.

I been listening to this feed for about a month now off and on at work. I have not had any problems hearing traffic. Matter of fact, I used it for the last couple storms and it proved to be very good.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
I've also been listening to it. If you really did listen, you'd know half of the transmissions have nothing to do with one another because they are different agencies, and only went over the stream because the scanner moved on before the other party replied. There are a lot of 'tail ends' of transmissions too. The only 'conversations' are from KHP because they tend to be rapid fire before the delay times out. Pick any archive file and that will be the case.

Last edited:

frazpo

I've also been listening to it. If you really did listen, you'd know half of the transmissions have nothing to do with one another because they are different agencies, and only went over the stream because the scanner moved on before the other party replied. There are a lot of 'tail ends' of transmissions too. The only 'conversations' are from KHP because they tend to be rapid fire before the delay times out. Pick any archive file and that will be the case.

I have not listened to the feed however this is a good point. If these TG's are the least bit busy then that is quite a few to be scanning with a feed. IMO, to each their own. But during an episode or natural disaster you will wish that you had the least amount and most active TG's being monitored. My feed was the only one up during the Joplin tornado. I had some very good and intense radio traffic in the archives. Some guy actually posted a bunch to youtube. Anyway, I will agree with slimming it down to the most active so you have actually conversations and not just tidbits of everything. Good work on the feed. KSICS is great to monitor in SE Ks during storms.

joeuser

The Wretched

Just monitoring KSICS doesn't work. "If you really listened" you'd know that KSICS is used just as much as analog during weather events. Some fire depts don't even use KSICS, only a few agencies actually tone out on KSICS. I'd love to focus on one or the other but then you will only get parts of these events, which is your issue with the feed. FWIW, this feed used to do nothing but KSICS (like you suggested but before you even suggested) however, it was way too limited. As for covering other areas already covered, this is a proximity thing. This feed is based out of Osborne county. Areas surrounding this county can and do affect this county.

However, I had already focused down on core traffic before I read this thread. I thought this was important during the severe weather season. I had done a lot of what you had suggested already. See below for more...

I been listening to this feed for about a month now off and on at work. I have not had any problems hearing traffic. Matter of fact, I used it for the last couple storms and it proved to be very good.

Thank you.

So here is the core traffic I am running currently. (Banks in use vs. banks turned off)

1235-Highway Patrol Troop C SALINA -- All Call (Announce)
1237-Highway Patrol Troop C SALINA -- Dispatch
1238-Highway Patrol Troop C SALINA -- Dispatch 2
1239-Highway Patrol Troop C SALINA -- Dispatch
1254-Highway Patrol Troop C SALINA -- Special Events 1
1255-Highway Patrol Troop C SALINA -- Special Events 2
1256-Highway Patrol Troop C SALINA -- Special Events 3
1257-Highway Patrol Troop C SALINA -- Special Events 4
4326-Highway Patrol Troop D HAYS -- All Call (Announce)
1258-Highway Patrol Troop D HAYS -- Dispatch 1
1259-Highway Patrol Troop D HAYS -- Dispatch 2
1260-Highway Patrol Troop D HAYS -- Special Events 1
1261-Highway Patrol Troop D HAYS -- Special Events 2
1262-Highway Patrol Troop D HAYS -- Special Events 3
1263-Highway Patrol Troop D HAYS -- Special Events 4

4302-Lincoln County Sheriff -- Dispatch
4687-Mitchell County Law Enforcement
4686-Mitchell County Event 1
4400-Osborne County Sheriff -- Dispatch
4572-Phillips County Law Enforcement -- Dispatch
4575-Phillips County Law Enforcement -- Event
4576-Phillips County Fire
4577-Phillips County EMS
4370-Rooks County Law Enforcement -- Dispatch
4374-Rooks County Fire -- Dispatch
4372-Rooks County EMS -- Dispatch
4378-Rooks County Event 1
4379-Rooks County Event 2
4286-Russell County Sheriff -- Dispatch
4298-Russell County Fire
4292-Russell County EMS -- Dispatch
4296-Russell County -- Event 1
4297-Russell County -- Event 2
4290-Russell Police -- Dispatch
4294-Russell Fire -- Dispatch
4480-Smith County Law Enforcement -- Dispatch
4484-Smith County Event

155.25000-Jewell County Sheriff Dispatch
159.21000-Jewell County Sheriff
154.99500-Jewell County Fire
155.35500-Jewell County EMS

156.21000-Lincoln Police and Fire
851.57500-Lincoln County Sheriff -- North Dispatch
853.32500-Lincoln County Sheriff -- South Dispatch
158.73000-Lincoln County Sheriff
154.13000-Lincoln County Fire -- Dispatch
458.06250-Lincoln County Fire -- Command
458.16250-Lincoln County Fire -- Command
458.38750-Lincoln County Fire -- Command
458.46250-Lincoln County Fire -- Command
155.86500-Lincoln County EMS -- Dispatch

154.78500-Beloit Police
155.76000-Beloit Fire
155.01000-Mitchell County Sheriff Dispatch
155.71500-Mitchell County Sheriff

154.74000-Osborne County Sheriff -- Primary Dispatch
155.02500-Osborne County Sheriff -- Osborne Area Ops

155.10000-Phillips County Sheriff Dispatch
155.73000-Phillips County Sheriff -- Interagency
154.38500-Phillips County Fire/EMS
154.25000-Phillips County Fire/EMS
155.62500-Phillips County Severe Weather Spotters
158.82000-Plainville Police

154.86000-Rooks County Sheriff
154.86000-Rooks County Sheriff
155.41500-Rooks County Sheriff
154.10000-Rooks County Sheriff
154.41500-Rooks County Fire/EMS
154.41500-Rooks County Fire/EMS
154.04000-Stockton Police
155.77500-Stockton Police/Fire/Public Works -- Common

453.20000-Russell Police Dispatch
453.90000-Russell Fire Dispatch
851.30000-Russell County Sheriff Dispatch
851.10000-Russell County Sheriff -- Countywide Law Enforcement Interoperability
453.37500-Russell County Sheriff -- Countywide Tactical: All Agencies
155.08500-Russell County Fire -- Rural Dispatch
460.42500-Russell County Fire -- Fireground
155.07000-Russell County Fire -- Countywide Interoperability
453.42500-Russell County EMS Dispatch

155.59500-Smith Center Police
154.96500-Smith County Sheriff -- Dispatch
154.80000-Smith CountySheriff -- Tactical
159.15000-Smith County EMS
154.75500-Smith County Public Safety

I had considered doing a stereo broadcast of analog on one channel (left) and digital KSICS on the other (right) but in my testing it became confusing with both in operation - almost garbled.

I'm open to reasonable suggestions...

joeuser

The Wretched
I have not listened to the feed however this is a good point. If these TG's are the least bit busy then that is quite a few to be scanning with a feed. IMO, to each their own. But during an episode or natural disaster you will wish that you had the least amount and most active TG's being monitored. My feed was the only one up during the Joplin tornado. I had some very good and intense radio traffic in the archives. Some guy actually posted a bunch to youtube. Anyway, I will agree with slimming it down to the most active so you have actually conversations and not just tidbits of everything. Good work on the feed. KSICS is great to monitor in SE Ks during storms.

That's what I have now. However, these storm events move around from one county to another. These counties use a mix of analog and digital. I did slim it down by locking out banks that are not used much at all like InterOps, Commons, etc. As it is, it appears to take 3 seconds to scan all the core frequencies listed / scanned now. Takes about 1 second to scan the analogs & 2 seconds to scan the digitals. That's slim.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
You missed the point of what I said. The problem isn't JUST the mix of KSICS and analog, it's the sheer number of agencies you have in the scan list. I listened to your feed when those storms came up through there a couple weeks ago, and it was a mess. You could barely follow a single conversation because it kept jumping between agencies. You can't have 26 different agencies covering 10,000 square miles on a single "round robin" style scanner feed and expect it to produce an interesting stream. That's why I had 700 listeners to your 80 that day, and I only cover Russell County. Streams need to be a 'handful' of agencies at the absolute max, depending on the amount of traffic each one generates. Hell on storm days I get just the PD and SO stepping on each other over KSICS, along with the rural first responders having their own conversation on the right channel - and that's just three agencies in one county out of the five agencies that I stream. Having a whole load of coverage on one feed sounds like a good idea in theory, but it fails in practice because of the "one transmission at a time" limitation. People want to hear actual two-sided conversations that have a purpose, not a random smattering of one-sided transmissions that have nothing to do with each other.

You also have to understand that just because an agency with KSICS TG's is still in the database as having analog frequencies does not mean they are in use. I can tell you for sure of the Russell analog frequencies you have in your list, 155.085 is the only one that ever has any activity because that's the rural fire and first responder pagers for the towns up north. The UHF frequencies that the police/fire/EMS/SO used to use have been silent since KSICS went live in Russell. Everything else countywide (other than the road dept, etc) runs through KSICS. Even the Interop frequencies have been devoid of traffic

That's why I said pick SOMETHING (like KHP, since nobody has one yet) and lock it in. Put some of the others on different feeds for those areas. I've seen your collection, you are definitely not hurting for scanners, LOL!

Last edited:

joeuser

The Wretched
You missed the point of what I said. The problem isn't JUST the mix of KSICS and analog, it's the sheer number of agencies you have in the scan list. I listened to your feed when those storms came up through there a couple weeks ago, and it was a mess. You could barely follow a single conversation because it kept jumping between agencies. You can't have 26 different agencies covering 10,000 square miles on a single "round robin" style scanner feed and expect it to produce an interesting stream. That's why I had 700 listeners to your 80 that day, and I only cover Russell County. Streams need to be a 'handful' of agencies at the absolute max, depending on the amount of traffic each one generates. Hell on storm days I get just the PD and SO stepping on each other over KSICS, along with the rural first responders having their own conversation on the right channel - and that's just three agencies in one county out of the five agencies that I stream. Having a whole load of coverage on one feed sounds like a good idea in theory, but it fails in practice because of the "one transmission at a time" limitation. People want to hear actual two-sided conversations that have a purpose, not a random smattering of one-sided transmissions that have nothing to do with each other.

You also have to understand that just because an agency with KSICS TG's is still in the database as having analog frequencies does not mean they are in use. I can tell you for sure of the Russell analog frequencies you have in your list, 155.085 is the only one that ever has any activity because that's the rural fire and first responder pagers for the towns up north. The UHF frequencies that the police/fire/EMS/SO used to use have been silent since KSICS went live in Russell. Everything else countywide (other than the road dept, etc) runs through KSICS. Even the Interop frequencies have been devoid of traffic

That's why I said pick SOMETHING (like KHP, since nobody has one yet) and lock it in. Put some of the others on different feeds for those areas. I've seen your collection, you are definitely not hurting for scanners, LOL!

Well, I think I see the point of what you're saying but I can't believe I'm reading it. If I only monitored KHP then the listener would only hear what KHP broadcasts. Each county has it's own events that KHP isn't involved with & vice versa. Maybe I confused my purpose - it's not to provide a feed for strictly weather events. Also, the locker room thing (I had eleventy billion listeners to your 80) isn't a goal of mine. I concede YOURS IS BIGGER - k? I'm just trying to provide a feed that I would listen to myself of any events in the nearby areas. Storms, chases, BOLO, ATL, ISIS attacking biker gangs, what-ever... That being said, I can't even broadcast all of my interests - that may interest others. Private use stuff (like biz, frs, marine band / farmers, etc) it's against the rules. Of course, this isn't my only interest either. I like rail, milair, comm air, & more. I suppose if I lived in NYC I wouldn't worry about NJ stuff that's nearby - as NYC would be busy enough as is. If you're in Russell you know how slow things are here. Radios can go quiet for quite a bit. Furthermore, if some conventional freqs aren't being used anymore - the few that are being monitored & not being used - won't make a difference anyway - it takes a second to scan all the conventional freqs anyway... It is true - when things get crazy the scanner with wider coverage will not be completely coherent - not that you can't figure things out at times. So, while you lose the total conversation of an agency or two (which - can also interfere with each other - less of course) - you gain the bigger picture with the wider area. So, if you monitor just Russell - your 8000 listeners here what's going on in RS & that's it. My 80 listeners might hear the RS traffic in parts - if other areas are super busy - but they will know what's going on in other counties as well & if it's not super busy elsewhere - they will hear what's going on in RS anyway. So, you know what you & I have here? You say Toe May Toe - I say Toe Mah Tow. Agree to disagree or want to take on the Ford v. Chevy think next? (I drive a Dodge FYI) At any rate, I appreciate your thoughts & taking time to share them.

Redneck0410

Well, I think I see the point of what you're saying but I can't believe I'm reading it. If I only monitored KHP then the listener would only hear what KHP broadcasts. Each county has it's own events that KHP isn't involved with & vice versa. Maybe I confused my purpose - it's not to provide a feed for strictly weather events. Also, the locker room thing (I had eleventy billion listeners to your 80) isn't a goal of mine. I concede YOURS IS BIGGER - k? I'm just trying to provide a feed that I would listen to myself of any events in the nearby areas. Storms, chases, BOLO, ATL, ISIS attacking biker gangs, what-ever... That being said, I can't even broadcast all of my interests - that may interest others. Private use stuff (like biz, frs, marine band / farmers, etc) it's against the rules. Of course, this isn't my only interest either. I like rail, milair, comm air, & more. I suppose if I lived in NYC I wouldn't worry about NJ stuff that's nearby - as NYC would be busy enough as is. If you're in Russell you know how slow things are here. Radios can go quiet for quite a bit. Furthermore, if some conventional freqs aren't being used anymore - the few that are being monitored & not being used - won't make a difference anyway - it takes a second to scan all the conventional freqs anyway... It is true - when things get crazy the scanner with wider coverage will not be completely coherent - not that you can't figure things out at times. So, while you lose the total conversation of an agency or two (which - can also interfere with each other - less of course) - you gain the bigger picture with the wider area. So, if you monitor just Russell - your 8000 listeners here what's going on in RS & that's it. My 80 listeners might hear the RS traffic in parts - if other areas are super busy - but they will know what's going on in other counties as well & if it's not super busy elsewhere - they will hear what's going on in RS anyway. So, you know what you & I have here? You say Toe May Toe - I say Toe Mah Tow. Agree to disagree or want to take on the Ford v. Chevy think next? (I drive a Dodge FYI) At any rate, I appreciate your thoughts & taking time to share them.

Depending on what software you're using to broadcast your feed, and what scanner you're using, you might be able to broadcast alpha tags to ease confusion... while it may not be ideal, it could help to ease the headache.

-Shawn

joeuser

The Wretched
Depending on what software you're using to broadcast your feed, and what scanner you're using, you might be able to broadcast alpha tags to ease confusion... while it may not be ideal, it could help to ease the headache.

-Shawn

I'm using the RR provided software currently (might try Proscan someday) & one of my Uniden BCD396XT radios. It does broadcast & display tags but the listener must use the proper client to see the tag (such as winamp). That's something dictated by the RR software, not myself.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Ok let me try this again because you missed the point. AGAIN.

Even on a slow day it's completely incoherent. A feed that gives no useful information is useless. I didn't point out the listener counts to brag or wag my e-penis in your face. It was to point out that if your methodology was sound, you should have had at least the same number, probably more - because those storms went right through all the areas your feed is scanning. Except you didn't, because it was impossible to follow anything.

What happens is when you're trying to listen to say, the Osborne Sheriff because there's a tornado coming through or a structure fire that caused a wildfire, or whatever, and you might hear one transmission from OCSD, followed by banter from FHSU Campus Police about a duck blocking traffic, then KHP running a 27/28/29, then by the time that's done there doesn't happen to be a transmission from OCSD, so it swings around to Mitchell Co where you catch the tail end of a transmission that gives you nothing. Then we're back to FHSU, where the duck has moved and is now only blocking one lane. Except by this time you've missed the entire conversation from OCSD.

Do you get it now? I'm not trying to put you down or belittle you or anything. In fact it's exactly the opposite - I'm trying to help you put out a stream that has potential to be pretty popular. What I'm trying to tell you that what you are trying to accomplish does not work in practice. You can't have that many agencies covering that large of an area on a single feed and have it produce anything listenable or interesting. You need to break it up and have feeds covering smaller areas - a single county (or single busy agency, like KHP) is really as large as you should go.. You're allowed to have as many feeds as you want. You can do one for KHP, one for Osborne, one for Lincoln, etc. As far as streamers, I am waiting on something to get shipped to me that could be perfect for low-cost/low-power streamers (and it's not a Raspberry Pi, no way to do alpha tags with those) so you don't need multiple full-size machines pulling hundreds of watts apiece. If it works out, I'll share.

joeuser

The Wretched
Ok let me try this again because you missed the point. AGAIN.

Even on a slow day it's completely incoherent. A feed that gives no useful information is useless. I didn't point out the listener counts to brag or wag my e-penis in your face. It was to point out that if your methodology was sound, you should have had at least the same number, probably more - because those storms went right through all the areas your feed is scanning. Except you didn't, because it was impossible to follow anything.

What happens is when you're trying to listen to say, the Osborne Sheriff because there's a tornado coming through or a structure fire that caused a wildfire, or whatever, and you might hear one transmission from OCSD, followed by banter from FHSU Campus Police about a duck blocking traffic, then KHP running a 27/28/29, then by the time that's done there doesn't happen to be a transmission from OCSD, so it swings around to Mitchell Co where you catch the tail end of a transmission that gives you nothing. Then we're back to FHSU, where the duck has moved and is now only blocking one lane. Except by this time you've missed the entire conversation from OCSD.

Do you get it now? I'm not trying to put you down or belittle you or anything. In fact it's exactly the opposite - I'm trying to help you put out a stream that has potential to be pretty popular. What I'm trying to tell you that what you are trying to accomplish does not work in practice. You can't have that many agencies covering that large of an area on a single feed and have it produce anything listenable or interesting. You need to break it up and have feeds covering smaller areas - a single county (or single busy agency, like KHP) is really as large as you should go.. You're allowed to have as many feeds as you want. You can do one for KHP, one for Osborne, one for Lincoln, etc. As far as streamers, I am waiting on something to get shipped to me that could be perfect for low-cost/low-power streamers (and it's not a Raspberry Pi, no way to do alpha tags with those) so you don't need multiple full-size machines pulling hundreds of watts apiece. If it works out, I'll share.

Ya know, I use ProScan to listen to other scanners - all over this great country & some not even in this country. They all scan multiple agencies. I get awesome feeds out of the KCK area. Same thing. I guess the only other thing I can say is why - why... have the amount of channels/frequencies that can be stored in the scanner memory increased over the years if not to be able to scan more than 1, 2, 4, 8, 10, etc freqs?

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Sigh.. You know why they are awesome feeds? Because they cover a small enough area that you can follow what is going on. They cover A city or A county. Things will always get stepped on, but for the most part you can follow what is happening. I don't get why you don't understand what I'm saying. Your "core" list is 26 different agencies covering literally 10,000 square miles. Find me ONE other feed that has that much going on. You can't, because there are none. Look at ANY feed and it has a few agencies covering one area no larger than a county.

And the number of channels in the scanners increasing has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand. You can program whatever you want to listen to at home. THAT is why they have so many channels. If you come across something that interests you and you want to listen to it, you can always hit the HOLD button and lock it into whatever you want. When listening to a feed, we have no such HOLD button. We get fed whatever the scanner happens to lock onto, and when your scan list covers that many agencies in that much area, the chances of it staying with any particular incident without flipping to other completely unrelated conversation is slim to none.

Status
Not open for further replies.