800 MHz radio system coming to Atchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
The Atchison newspaper site is locked down to subscribers only, so I wasn't able to get details, but it appears Atchison County is moving to 800 MHz. Has anyone heard any details? Are they joining the state 800 system?

"The forthcoming change in location is tentatively on the agenda to accommodate a relocation of the Atchison County Communications Center. The move might come sooner than later to coincide with the arrival and installation of the new radio communication systems. Commissioners approved a $1.4 million lease-purchase agreement with Motorola to buy 800 MHZ radios in late December. The new radio system will bring emergency response agencies within the county a capability to communicate statewide with law enforcement and emergency responders."

Commissioners aim for meeting spot change - Atchison Globe Now: County Government

nec911

The Atchison newspaper site is locked down to subscribers only, so I wasn't able to get details, but it appears Atchison County is moving to 800 MHz. Has anyone heard any details? Are they joining the state 800 system?

"The forthcoming change in location is tentatively on the agenda to accommodate a relocation of the Atchison County Communications Center. The move might come sooner than later to coincide with the arrival and installation of the new radio communication systems. Commissioners approved a $1.4 million lease-purchase agreement with Motorola to buy 800 MHZ radios in late December. The new radio system will bring emergency response agencies within the county a capability to communicate statewide with law enforcement and emergency responders."

Commissioners aim for meeting spot change - Atchison Globe Now: County Government
I have a KORA request in to Atchison County. I did find the minutes from the December 23 BOCC meeting where it stated: http://www.atchisoncountyks.org/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/12302014-228?packet=true

At 2:00 pm board held a meeting with Jack Laurie, Sheriff, Wes Lanter, Emergency
Management and representatives of Motorola on purchasing 800 MHz radios, Wes presented to
the board the Motorola contract along with the lease agreement, Pat Henderson, County
Counselor said that he reviewed both agreements. Commissioner Bodenhausen asked if the
county had additional money at the end of the year if they could pay additional on the
agreement. Pat said that he thought it was forbidden in the contract, Pat did check and it did
say that they could pay additional one time only of 15,000 or greater but that it had to be with
grant funds, or could pay full amount. Commissioner Bodenhausen said not an option, sheriff
Lauri said this is not what they had discussed in contract prior, Board did not have a problem
with limit or one time a year, but they wanted the wording about grant taken out since it would be
by sales tax money, the bank that will have the loan said they could change and take out the
wording about grant money. Board agreed to the change. Commissioner Bodenhausen made a
motion to accept the Motorola Contract to purchase radios and the Motorola solutions
agreement and to have Chairman Schuele sign both in behalf of the county. Commissioner Pohl
second with Chairman Schuele calling for a vote, all voted aye, motion carried 3-0.

Will let you know what I find out.

dgruver911

I know they are adding a new site in town, as well as buying radios. The project manager from Motorola working on their project is the same one working on ours. I don't know a lot of details but I expect that they should be on the air very soon as they were ahead of us on scheduling. Haven't seen any new site frequencies assigned yet,though.

nec911

I found out from the KORA request that they are putting a tower in Atchison the 6th street Water Tower.
It will tie in with the KSICS tower in Huron.

Status
Not open for further replies.