Are the LEO Common even used anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck0410

I leave them in my scanner, though I haven't heard anything on them. You never know when SHTF.

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Interops and statewide law common freqs hardly have any use unless a event, interop with another agency, or outside on state lines occurs in or out of your state. They may sit silent but can be used and probably are just mobile to mobile most of the time.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Until the state started investing in 800MHz almost all the mutual aid LE freqs commonly used in Kansas were VHF Low Band- such as the ubiquitous 39.58MHz and 39.70MHz statewide channels.

Since the state and the Homeland Security Regions have invested so heavily in 800MHz radios- that is where almost all mutual aid commas are moving. A prime example of this is that every PSAP in the state has 800MHz radios installed for mutual aid and interagency comms.

David628

Premium Subscriber
Illinois ISP - ISPERN 155.475

I was passing through north east Illinois last summer and heard the ISP (Elgin District 2) broadcasting a BOLO to ISPERN units about a stolen automobile on analog 155.475, which sounded a bit distorted. I assumed the distortion was caused by the "digital to analog" conversion from the the STARCOM21 system TG re-broadcastring over to the analog ISPERN 155.475 channel.

Heres whats still listed on this site, so I do think its still in use today.

155.47500 KN3600 M 156 DPL ISPERN D156 Illinois State Police Emergency Radio Network (HF-1) (Narrowband) FMN Law Talk
Illinois State Police (ISP) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Under STARCOM21 ISP District 02 (Elgin) Talkgroups its listed as:
TG ID 9050 235a D D02 ISPERN ISPERN Patch Law Talk STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Until the state started investing in 800MHz almost all the mutual aid LE freqs commonly used in Kansas were VHF Low Band- such as the ubiquitous 39.58MHz and 39.70MHz statewide channels.

Since the state and the Homeland Security Regions have invested so heavily in 800MHz radios- that is where almost all mutual aid commas are moving. A prime example of this is that every PSAP in the state has 800MHz radios installed for mutual aid and interagency comms.

I was thinking when I moved to Kansas, as I was reading on the system each county has at one radio or had it in the dispatch console, which me wondered if I would hear more on PSAP, and LAW Talk Groups on KSICS and the Motobridge links for my county, than listing to the channels I listed.

Thanks for the reply.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
I was passing through north east Illinois last summer and heard the ISP (Elgin District 2) broadcasting a BOLO to ISPERN units about a stolen automobile on analog 155.475, which sounded a bit distorted. I assumed the distortion was caused by the "digital to analog" conversion from the the STARCOM21 system TG re-broadcastring over to the analog ISPERN 155.475 channel.

Heres whats still listed on this site, so I do think its still in use today.

155.47500 KN3600 M 156 DPL ISPERN D156 Illinois State Police Emergency Radio Network (HF-1) (Narrowband) FMN Law Talk
Illinois State Police (ISP) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Under STARCOM21 ISP District 02 (Elgin) Talkgroups its listed as:
TG ID 9050 235a D D02 ISPERN ISPERN Patch Law Talk STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

I know each state and department are different, When I was LEO in Indiana in the 80's and 90's before the SAFE-T system 155.37 ( base point to point) 155.475 ILEEN were use lot.

While I was Dallas PD we never used either one.

mancow

Database Admin
I was thinking when I moved to Kansas, as I was reading on the system each county has at one radio or had it in the dispatch console, which me wondered if I would hear more on PSAP, and LAW Talk Groups on KSICS and the Motobridge links for my county, than listing to the channels I listed.

Thanks for the reply.

The PSAP talk groups are busy mainly with EMS transports and other oddball stuff. I have never heard a legit Motobridge patch other than during testing and training. We patched 800 to 39.580 once and used an low band hand held and it worked well.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
The PSAP talk groups are busy mainly with EMS transports and other oddball stuff. I have never heard a legit Motobridge patch other than during testing and training. We patched 800 to 39.580 once and used an low band hand held and it worked well.

I have heard 4 Motobridge patch's.

1. There was a chase that came in to the my county from another one, and they needed there assistance when the subject bailed out. they had 7 Differant LEO agency's involved. It was used when the KHP aircraft was called out. ( I had to laugh about it, one of the deputy said he could not figure out what the VTAC was used for till then, when it all done, the Sheriff said car to car to the Under-Sheriff maybe we to do need training on VTAC Interop)

2. Was a chase that started in my county and then cover 2 other counties they used UTAC and VTAC on that one.

the other 2 were on UTAC but not sure where but it also on chases.

Redneck0410

The large wildfire here in RN County in March utilized the 8tac channels (8tac93 and 94, I believe).

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

riche_2

Premium Subscriber
In Jackson county, the sheriff is using KSICS and 155.625 simultaneously. I had been listening to them on an analog scanner. I recently added a digital trunking scanner was surprised they were also on KSCIS.

David628

Premium Subscriber
155.475 and 155.370 very active in the mid 80's

I know each state and department are different, When I was LEO in Indiana in the 80's and 90's before the SAFE-T system 155.37 ( base point to point) 155.475 ILEEN were use lot.

While I was Dallas PD we never used either one.

I use to live in the Chicago suburbs back in the mid 80's to early 90's before joining the military/. 155.370 and especially 155.475 were very active at that time. Almost all of the police unit in my area/city to include the surrounding subburbs had a separate radios tuned to 155.475. That was the "go to" radio that they used to talk to other city units outside their areas. Mainly for interpretability/mutual aid assistance during cross city lines chases. I heard a lot of very interesting chase traffic in those years while living there. Cheers!

Edit/additional comment: I just called a buddy of mine in Downers Grove, Illinois and he said they still have the ability to monitor and transmit on the STARCOM21 ISPERN TG on their pac-set portables. He runs his main pac-set portable radio on city primary and listens to ISPERNs TG his personal scanner. He switches to the ISPERN TG on his pac-set portable when he needs to assist in a cross city chase/pursuit. He couldn't say if that TG was still re-broadcasted on analog 155.475 or not because he's never seen an analog radio in any of the patrol cars he's been in recently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.