Rice County begins update process for emergency communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Looks Rice county is going switch over from Analog to Digital on December 8, 2016.

With the training set at the end November, I wonder what system type they are going to?

The Sterling Kansas Bulletin
Welcome to the Sterling Bulletin

Last edited:

Redneck0410

They could benefit from switching over to KSICS. It could mean access to Reno County TG's, which would be beneficial for both counties because it frees up dispatchers from relaying info via SC9-PSAP. However, with RNSO encrypting a good portion of their traffic, could serve as a hinderance. Lots of factors to consider and from the sounds of it is just in the infancy stages right now. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
They could benefit from switching over to KSICS. It could mean access to Reno County TG's, which would be beneficial for both counties because it frees up dispatchers from relaying info via SC9-PSAP. However, with RNSO encrypting a good portion of their traffic, could serve as a hinderance. Lots of factors to consider and from the sounds of it is just in the infancy stages right now. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Over all they got a good analog VHF system, with very SOP in place on how they are using it, however with narrowband mandate of 2013, and the fact most of the radio being used are approaching there EOL cycle, they are having some major coverage issue, mostly on the eastern side of the county.

I think they looked in to making the move over to KCICS system as a possible option, however I remembering reading a commission minute briefing or new story about 8 to 12 months ago, that it was going cost some where around 5 to 6 million to migrate over it to the KSICS System.

There was also some plan B and C options talked about at the same time, for around 1 to 2 millions they do some system / equipment upgrades to fix most of the issue. Some of the suggest plan was they could add a new tower either with a new frequency, or making it voter repeater site to main channel to help with the coverage issue and problem they where having.

The story attached also states that are looking perhaps sharing a new tower cost with McPherson County so both county could benefit with having a new tower in a bad coverage area for both counties.

Looking at some proposed 2017 cities, county budgets reports, it looks more than likely they are going to just upgrade the current analog VHF system to VHF P25 ( digital standards) system. I am basing that fact I am not seeing that money put side for radio upgrades from the cities it been around $5000.00 for the upgrade.

But it remains to be seen what happen.

Redneck0410

Any updates on the pending changes up there in Lyons? The county commission minutes left much to be desired.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Any updates on the pending changes up there in Lyons? The county commission minutes left much to be desired.

Info is nearly impossible to get.

I know Tulsa Consulting was awarded the project to upgrade the system last year, but I can't find any details of the new plan.

The county commission minutes only refer to it in vague notations of the minutes that there is number of phases of the upgrade, however until this story posted above, I had not seen any time line or suggested time line for two way radios to be upgraded.

Rumor had it, to upgrade to the KSICS system would be around 4 to 5 million.

Rumor also had it, to upgrade the current VHF analog system to a VHF digital system, and add a voter site to boost the range. Rumored cost was 1.5 to 2 million to do this upgrade with most of the cost being the a new tower ( $500.000 was some the figures I seen), and dispatch console.

IMHO, to join the KCICS system is not on the table to due to the high cost of joining it, the cost of 4 to 5 million to join the system I really think would be hard to justify now.

I think it would be more cost effective to add the voter site in the bad area, and upgrade the current system to a VHF Digital System.

But again this is MHO.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
During the past week, there has been a lot radio checks going on, SO, EMS, and fire department radios on there respective channels.

I have been also hearing some kind voice inversion / scrambler, or encryption of radio traffic. It was being used off and on by SO unit only so far.

So I would say there are going to use some kind of encryption on their traffic, too what extent, remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Over the last 3 day I have been hearing some channel usage change use with the Rice CO EMS

Fire and EMS calls still appear to be dispatched on Rice County Opts 4

However, the EMS Units only so far are now talking to dispatch, dispatch to the units, and unit to unit on KSICS-SC 9 EMS talk group, for all traffic after dispatch.

So far I have 4 different UID recorded. for them.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Just an update, I had confirmed from 2 difference sources, Rice CO is going to join the KSICS system after all.

The plan is to move over to the KSICS system later this year. I have not heard a plan date or time line when they are going to make the switch over, but it was confirmed, they will be moving to it.

Over the next few weeks, all of the LEO agency will be doing testing radios on the KSCIS system.

During this last week, I have heard Sterling PD doing radio tests on SC-9 LEO around the city.

Redneck0410

Just an update, I had confirmed from 2 difference sources, Rice CO is going to join the KSICS system after all.

The plan is to move over to the KSICS system later this year. I have not heard a plan date or time line when they are going to make the switch over, but it was confirmed, they will be moving to it.

Over the next few weeks, all of the LEO agency will be doing testing radios on the KSCIS system.

During this last week, I have heard Sterling PD doing radio tests on SC-9 LEO around the city.
I thought I heard something out of the ordinary there a few days ago... I know RCEMS uses PSAP for transfers to Hutch and Wichita, hear them all the time. Used to be a time before all this narrowbanding they could reach Lyons on the VHF.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
RC actively testing KSCIS this week.

Just an update:

Rice County is actively testing the KSCIS system for a possible upgrade to it for local use in the county.

Wichita has loaned the county 30 radios to test the system to see how it work out for them.

Local PD and RCSO are operating on SC-9 LEO, about 80% of the normal traffic so far.

They will be testing the system out for the next 5 to 7 days.

The story was posted this week in the Lyons News:

https://www.iclassifiedsnetwork.com...b5eb30c-db29-441f-bdfd-a56fe0c52cc1&Section=0

kd0ezq

Premium Subscriber
Sources tell me they are looking into it during 2018/2019. I expect that LEO and EMS will go first as there are limited radios needed for that switch, with Fire going later as there are A LOT of radios needed there...

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
I'm back in Rice County area again, anybody heard of any updates?

The last I heard, they needed to add a tower in Sterling.

Are/is there any talk groups with patches to KSICS yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.