Need Help with Old Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

68rs327

I am new to scanners. I have an Old Realistic Pro 2020 Scanner that I have had for years that has been put away for years. My 13 yrs. old Son wanted a scanner so I dug it out of storage. My question is: I haven't used the scanner for years. It seems to work well but only picks up One police station about 30 miles away. Doesn't pick up any local Police, Fire, or EMS? I used this website and programmed in the frequencies for my local stations and still only picks up the one station? Are Frequencies now digital and this scanner is obsolete and wont work on updated frequencies and the only station I pick up still using older technology? If this scanner is now useless, what would a be a Cheap Decent Scanner to buy my young Son. I am New thank you for your help.

68rs327

I should had added, I live in Kentucky 42748 zip code. Closest town in Hodgenville, Ky.
Thanks,

thagewood

I think these are all the surrounding counties in your area? Do you have any of these freq programmed in your Pro 2020?
Larue County Kentucky Larue County, Kentucky (KY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Larue County, Kentucky, uses conventional analog police and fire radio communications systems.

Nelson County Kentucky Nelson County, Kentucky (KY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Nelson County, Kentucky, uses conventional analog police and fire radio communications systems.

Marion County Kentucky Marion County, Kentucky (KY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Marion County, Kentucky, uses conventional analog police and fire radio communications systems.
Hardin County Kentucky Hardin County, Kentucky (KY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Hardin County, Kentucky, uses conventional analog police and fire radio communications systems.

Hart County Kentucky Hart County, Kentucky (KY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Hart County, Kentucky, uses conventional analog police and fire radio communications systems.

Taylor County Kentucky Taylor County, Kentucky (KY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Taylor County, Kentucky, uses conventional analog police and fire radio communications systems.

Green County Kentucky Green County, Kentucky (KY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Green County, Kentucky, uses conventional analog police and fire radio communications systems.

The Pro 2020 scanner can recieve the conventional analog communications systems. If in the scanners antenna range?

The Kentucky State Police use UHF digital communications. A digital scanner is necessary to be able to monitor the KSP.

I found the manual online also didnt know if you have one available?http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/SC...020 VHF-UHF Scanner-Reciever_Short Manual.pdf
The only thing is there can only be 20 channels programmed so you will have to make sure the freq. you choose are within the scanners antenna range?
Sorry for the long post. Hopefully this will be of some assistance? My Kids love listing in on my scanners.

thagewood

If this scanner is now useless, what would a be a Cheap Decent Scanner to buy my young Son. I am New thank you for your help.
I would recomend a GRE® PSR-100 200-Channel Handheld Analog Scanner GRE® PSR-100 200-Channel Handheld Analog Scanner - RadioShack.com its around a 100 bucks but I know someone that had one and it worked very well on the analog channels. But if you want to get one that recieves digital you talking about more money. But I my appenion its worth in because most agencies are going digital.
Hope this is some help? Happy New Year

68rs327

Thanks for all the help. I programmed the channels in that are closest to me. The Only channel I could get to come in was Campbellsville Police in Taylor Co., Ky. This channel is about 30 miles to the South/East of me? Hodgenville, Ky has Sheriff, EMS and City Police and they are only 6 miles to the North of me and I Can't receive any of their channels. Doesn't make sense to me? Do you think an Antenna would Help? If so, could you recommend an antenna that will fit my Scanner?
Thank you,

i live in etown and it is all digital here. i just bought two pro 160s from r adio shack. they were on sale for 249. free delivery. i like this radio. if you buy it and have problems programing it just post on here. i can clone my radio or download a system. monitoring radio frequencies has really changed. the pro 106 is like 20 scanners in one unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.