Owensboro going digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxiso

I bet they go NXDN just like hopkinsville and madisonville is switching to it which means we can no longer listen to them.... I am sure it will be years befor a scanner with NXDN support comes out.. Hell the scanner makers are to busy putting out new P25 scanners out every few years

msradell

I bet they go NXDN just like hopkinsville and madisonville is switching to it which means we can no longer listen to them.... I am sure it will be years befor a scanner with NXDN support comes out.. Hell the scanner makers are to busy putting out new P25 scanners out every few years
It's not that the scanner makers don't want to put on a scanner with NXDN capability. It's due to the fact that it's a proprietary system and thus they don't have access to its structure to design scanners from. Same thing applies for OpenSky and some of the other new technologies.

Last edited:

dwh367

Since they are already using an EDACS system, they could also go to AEGIS or ProVoice. Myself, I'm crossing my fingers that they will go to a P25 system.

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
We just updated our radios in the county that were narrowband capable for VHF for the switch in 2013. I dont think it will change anytime soon, if it does at all. A digital tone maybe, but P25, i doubt it.
Daviess County Fire depts and S.O. run VHF Motorola CDM's and 1250's and XPR6550 and XPR45** That were just purchased not too long ago.
Owensboro FD and PD run MA/COM's on the EDACS 800Mhz

Last edited:

dustinoboy

Daviess CO

We just updated our radios in the county that were narrowband capable for VHF for the switch in 2013. I dont think it will change anytime soon, if it does at all. A digital tone maybe, but P25, i doubt it.
Daviess County Fire depts and S.O. run VHF Motorola CDM's and 1250's and XPR6550 and XPR45** That were just purchased not too long ago.
Owensboro FD and PD run MA/COM's on the EDACS 800Mhz

You are right. I talked to someone "in the know" that was researching options regarding radio upgrades, and they (committee) recommended that Daviess County will not upgrade to digital or anything else (other than narrowband). Owensboro City was never considering an upgrade (they are content with their EDACS 800 trunk system); I think the news story got the city and county agencies mixed up. City and county will not be upgrading in the near future, as it stands right now. They were also never seriously considering NEXEDGE, only a P25 updgrade for county agencies. But, it was just too expensive for the county to justify.

dispatch

Premium Subscriber
Daviess Co Sheriff

Is the plan still in place for Daviess County Sheriff Department to be added to Owensboro's EDACS system? I heard that rumor several times in the past... If so, time table of such a move?

dustinoboy

Is the plan still in place for Daviess County Sheriff Department to be added to Owensboro's EDACS system? I heard that rumor several times in the past... If so, time table of such a move?

No, DCSO is not going to join the city trunk system. The city system does not have good coverage in all areas of the county. The sheriff and fire department (county) will be staying on their conventional analog system for a while.

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
You are right. I talked to someone "in the know" that was researching options regarding radio upgrades, and they (committee) recommended that Daviess County will not upgrade to digital or anything else (other than narrowband). Owensboro City was never considering an upgrade (they are content with their EDACS 800 trunk system); I think the news story got the city and county agencies mixed up. City and county will not be upgrading in the near future, as it stands right now. They were also never seriously considering NEXEDGE, only a P25 updgrade for county agencies. But, it was just too expensive for the county to justify.

We don't even have a repeater for county fire, Just county sheriffs.

Indiana16

Owensboro, KY

The City of Owensboro bought Motorola's P25 system. Cutover will happen soon from what I hear. I also heard that coverage testing passed with NO fails.

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
I was told that the city police was replacing all of there portable radios. Not sure about mobile radios.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Two questions:

1) Any anticipated switch-over date?

2) Will they be using the same frequencies?

Thanks

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I would start searching for a new P25 control channel. You never know when it might pop up, even on the frequencies assigned the Municipal Utilities TRS.

73's

Ron

Last edited:

KD4YGG

Database Admin
All current systems still operational as of 24-Dec-2013.

No P25 control channels heard in 700 or 800 Mhz band...

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Owensboro P25 System On-Line

System is on-line as of 01-Jan-2014

System ID = 5EC
R001
S001
NAC = 5EC

853.8375d

Also, 852.5500 was observed as not included in the EDACS channel rotation.

Owensboro Fire and Police are still using the EDACS system as of 01-Jan-2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.