• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-320 K2 Scan Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

feliciepr7

I need help to program my Kenwood NX-320 K2 to scan so I can be able to listening and add whatever I want. Can someone help me here?

feliciepr7

Yes i have the KPG-141D Software and also the cable to program the radio. Can you show me step by step on how to achieve this.

Thanks!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Has MMCKENNA left the room?

OK, I'll cut in.

The scan function can be customized in many different ways. Here's a generic way I program the scan function unless I'm asked to do different. It will get you up and running.

Open the KPG141 software and read the radio.

First program two buttons. I set the "S" key as Scan and the "A" key as Scan Delete/Add, although you can use any two keys you want.

Next go into the scan menu and set it up as shown. After you save and write back to the radio, you can add channels by pressing the "A" key and toggling the right triangle on the display. By pressing and holding the "A" key, you can turn on/off entire zones from scan as indicated by the left triangle on the display. If you have only one zone you may want to change scan type to Single.

Have fun!

Attachments

• scanex.jpg
    scanex.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2,048

feliciepr7

rama121 Thank you for your reply. Ok this is what I did. I create those two channels cause it was saying unprogram then I put the scan options like yours with the exceptions of Lookback Time A and B cause I wasn't able to change it like yours. Now this will scan trunked or Digital also? Is it make any sound or something when is scanning or just when it found something?

Attachments

• Zones.jpg
    Zones.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,315
  • Scan1.jpg
    Scan1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,036

feliciepr7

What others ways the scan function can be configure? Also want to know if I will be available to scan digital or trunked. The radio shows two arrow like in circle I guess is to let me know that is scanning even I don't hear nothing.

feliciepr7

Do I need to have something in the Zone Information? If yes what do I put there? so I can scan cause I don't hear nothing.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
AH-hah! I'm getting the big picture now. Although your scan parameters are different from my example, they should work as long as the buttons are programmed to execute the scan functions.

Now let me back pedal a lot and ask you what you are trying to accomplish with this radio. You have entered two channels both with the same frequency and no QT/DQT signalling. If that is all you have in the radio, it makes no sense to scan two of the same channel. You have to fill out all the conventional channels and trunked systems you'd like to listen to with valid information to be able to receive and then set up scan to listen between them.

Are you expecting the radio to just scan the band and give you whatever it happens to come across? This is not the radio you need to do this. I suggest you study up more on your needs and see what exactly what will do this for you.

feliciepr7

AH-hah! I'm getting the big picture now. Although your scan parameters are different from my example, they should work as long as the buttons are programmed to execute the scan functions.

Now let me back pedal a lot and ask you what you are trying to accomplish with this radio. You have entered two channels both with the same frequency and no QT/DQT signalling. If that is all you have in the radio, it makes no sense to scan two of the same channel. You have to fill out all the conventional channels and trunked systems you'd like to listen to with valid information to be able to receive and then set up scan to listen between them.

Are you expecting the radio to just scan the band and give you whatever it happens to come across? This is not the radio you need to do this. I suggest you study up more on your needs and see what exactly what will do this for you.

No I just put those as an example because I dont know how this kind of radio (Kenwoods) work, I am new into this radio. I own a few radios and scanner for other brands and in them I just put for example if I want to scan starting from 450.100000 the radio start looking from there and on but I see in the NX-320 is not like that and there is no that much info on the web like videos to show how to program if isn't asking to Pro people like your self and others in this great forum. I know how to program the analog with the QT/DQT but not the digital and that's what I am interested in scan but if I will need the complete info for the digital channel to start from it how I will know the GID/UID etc.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
These radios will only scan the individual channels that you program in. It will not scan a range of frequencies like a scanner in search mode will.

You'll need to know the frequencies you want to listen to. Put those into the radio in individual channels. Using the "Channel Edit" button on the bottom of the "Zone Information" screen, select the scan box. You'll need to do that for each and every programmed channel you want to scan.

NXDN/NexEdge is a bit harder.
There are a couple of variables you will need to know:
Receive Frequency
NXDN Narrow or NXDN Very Narrow (12.5kHz or 6.25kHz digital channel) They are NOT interchangeable/compatible, this needs to be set correctly.
RAN code (or leave it as zero/blank for all).

GID and UID are for trunked systems. You won't be able to add a trunking system unless you have the system key. If the trunked system is set up with full access control, the manager of the system will need to assign you a UID as well as enter your radios ESN into the system.

If you are trying to use this radio as an "NXDN Scanner", you'll need to know all the info above to do it right.

feliciepr7

Is there a way that I can know or get that info for the NXDN? All I have is a Frequency Counter and CTCSS/DCS decoder but that doesn't work for this radio, the only thing I get is the frequency. I attached two images with the frequencies that a radio (NX-320) is operating too but that's all I know.

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,832
  • IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,818

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I agree with mmckenna. While not completely impossible to hunt for new frequencies with your 320, it's not made for that and wouldn't be my first choice. What's better is to build a portfolio of channels or systems and then load the information into the 320 for a rock solid listening radio. To get the information you're better using a scanner or better yet, a SDR where the software decoder will give valuable info on digital signals. Also scour public records, make friends with people in the know, and of course internet sites like Radio Reference.

Your radio will receive analog both conventional and LTR trunking. It will also do Nexedge digital conventional, type C trunking and (if it's fairly new) type D trunking. The only roadblock is type C trunking. As mentioned it would take a system key which I guaranty you won't get unless you are an administrator of the system, or they would have to program the radio for you and allow you on the system with permission which is highly unlikely for a casual listener.

All the other modes you can program yourself with the right information. Just be aware as this radio can transmit, be mindful of unauthorized use, but I guess that goes without saying.

If you have any questions on mode requirements and how to program them into the radio, or on options and how they work, please ask. Somebody here should have the answer.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Is there a way that I can know or get that info for the NXDN? All I have is a Frequency Counter and CTCSS/DCS decoder but that doesn't work for this radio, the only thing I get is the frequency. I attached two images with the frequencies that a radio (NX-320) is operating too but that's all I know.

Freq counter is nice, but you won't get much out of it.

Take a look at this software. You'll need to hook your computer to a radio or run a SDR dongle and there is a learning curve to this but lots of good stuff about it on this site.

DSDPlus - The RadioReference Wiki

feliciepr7

Thanks for the info, I will give it a shot. In the mean time wile I get the dongle and put things together I will like to use the radio at work cause we have the same there but I read the manual and it say that to be able to clone the radio I have to press and hold the <B button and turn the radio on and I do that to my radio and don't enter into cloning mode. And if I can't put mine in to it how am I going to put the one I have at work. Any help on that?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
...and enabling cloning won't necessarily work. It is possible to set up these radios with a password lock on the programming. If your work radios have that, you will not be able to read the data from it, either with programming software or by cloning. You can give it a try, but if it bonks on you and asks for a password, then you are hosed.

It'd be worth a shot. You'd need the cloning cable, but if you already have the software and programming cable you can just try reading the work radio and transfer that into yours.

feliciepr7

Good News!

I put the 3 frequencies from work in NXDN Very Narrow and RAN Code blank and I was able to listening in all 3 frequencies. I haven't perform the clone yet. Now in the Display I have a P icon and I went to the manual to see what it means and it say Compander on/off. When is On the icon P appears and is suppose to turn on/off by pressing <B Key and I do that and it wont go. I go to the Key Assignment and the <B Key is set to Zone Down. Can someone explain me what is the Compander for and how I turn it off. Thanks. I will be playing with the Ran Code until I find the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.