RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2017, 11:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok, it allowed me to get to text screen and write and send. The send transmitted but was unsuccessful. I'll have to look at Motorola side. Since I've seen a lot of one way texting when mixing any brands of radios I'm not surprised. You'd think if it works in one direction that it would work both ways but that has often not been my experience.
How is the nxdn compatibility across brands of radios on texting etc?
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2017, 11:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobmark View Post
Ok, it allowed me to get to text screen and write and send. The send transmitted but was unsuccessful. I'll have to look at Motorola side. Since I've seen a lot of one way texting when mixing any brands of radios I'm not surprised. You'd think if it works in one direction that it would work both ways but that has often not been my experience.
How is the nxdn compatibility across brands of radios on texting etc?
Icom and kwd sms fine.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 11:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You remember right. I got it to work up to a point. I could create and send a text but Motorola didn't receive it. This issue of one way texting when mixing different brand radios has been an ongoing problem with Dmr. You'd think if it works one way it'd work the other.
How is nxdn on such issues with mixed brand radios?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Sorry, thought previous post failed.
Old 05-25-2017, 7:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default NX5300 Direct Channel Shortcut

I can't get Direct Channel to work. I'm unable to enter data into the 6 slot table and also cannot set up a shortcut key or even menu selection. Is there a trick to this?
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2017, 7:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Define 6 slot table, I'm confused. Direct has two modes, you will need to look up my email and send me your email, I will send you the programming guide for DMR.

Old 05-25-2017, 7:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4efm View Post
Define 6 slot table, I'm confused. Direct has two modes, you will need to look up my email and send me your email, I will send you the programming guide for DMR.

OK.
Key Assignment>Direct Channel (there is a box with 5 numbered slots--all greyed out). I'm trying to set up direct access to 5 preselected channels by long press on numerical keypad.
Old 05-25-2017, 8:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Stand by, I'll look that up. Did you hit F1 and read what requirements to be met for it in the help file. That's the quickest way to get it done, I'm driving.

Old 05-25-2017, 8:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobmark View Post
OK.
Key Assignment>Direct Channel (there is a box with 5 numbered slots--all greyed out). I'm trying to set up direct access to 5 preselected channels by long press on numerical keypad.
Got to your hot key (dtmf 1,2,3,4,5,6) set it to direct 1, go to direct, set zone and channel.

So far?

Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2017, 12:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

OK. Got Direct Channel up and running. It was the order I had wrong--I needed to set shortcut keys 1st and go back to list to set zone/channel. I added menu items for direct channel select so I can now reprogram from front panel. My only fail was in using operator selected priority scan. I set it on the scan list and then added menu item for priority select. When I try to use priority select it bonks so I never get to the next screen (Priority1, Priority2). I'll pound on it tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2017, 9:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

No joy on selectable priority yet. It works with Zone Scan but NOT Scan LIST. Took a break from that to re-test texting. I can send text from Motorola to Kenwood--goes through almost instantly. I CANNOT send text from Kenwood to Motorola. Played with preamble etc. Motorola texting set to DMR STANDARD (Not Proprietary). Went through my repeater for test. I don't see a messaging delay on Kenwood options as I do on Motorola, if that matters. Cross Manufacturer texting always seems a challenge, wonder why? I've seen this "one way" texting with other brand combinations before as well.

Last edited by otobmark; 05-26-2017 at 9:30 AM..