RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 9:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wow it must be really recent, I updated a radio yesterday and 2.31 was most recent. Too bad my programming cable is at work and I can’t update firmware over Bluetooth
Quote:
Requires KPG-D1N Version 2.40 or later.
See release info for DMR Auto Slot Select Supplement Document V1.0 included in zip file.
Also see product bulletin P17-30LM.
Added DMR feature enhancements. See Product Bulletin P17-10LM.
Improvements for some issues including Lock Up problems.
Important note: NX‐5300 K5, K6, F5, and F6 only: If the Firmware was previously upgraded to Version K2.00 DMR High Deviation alignment is necessary See Service Bulletin LSB-0353
Before authenticating KWD-5300CV, please make sure the radio is using
Firmware Version K2.01 or higher.
Adds New Features such as Multi RF Deck and More
See Product Bulletin P-15-13LM and P-15-14LM
This Firmware upgrade is NOT eligible for warranty compensation
Doesn't seem to state anything of value
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2017, 9:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK6ZTE View Post
Wow it must be really recent, I updated a radio yesterday and 2.31 was most recent. Too bad my programming cable is at work and I canít update firmware over Bluetooth
Yeah, firmware is always by direct connection.
If it was just posted today, that's usually when it hits.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2017, 9:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

JVCKENWOOD announces the release of the NEXEDGE NX-5000 Series Firmware Version 2.40 and related Software KPG-D1NK R2.40.

This firmware release includes the new DMR feature, DMR Auto Slot Select.

(psstttt - kind of like Hytera Pseudo trunking)
Old 12-02-2017, 12:45 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

So i set the comport to use bluetooth then i went into the multi RF deck setup, selected the files for A and B and clicked write data to RF decks. I then get a error saying "Bluetooth serial port profile is disabled".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4efm View Post
Hit F1, I'm not where I can walk throught it, Bluetooth rf multi deck should bring up what has to be met to make it work.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton25 View Post
So i set the comport to use bluetooth then i went into the multi RF deck setup, selected the files for A and B and clicked write data to RF decks. I then get a error saying "Bluetooth serial port profile is disabled".
Need kwd5103sp (?) or the kch20 head (comes free with it), check product info if it's enabled, else has to be purchased.

Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2017, 12:54 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Ok in the Bluetooth settings I had the Bluetooth interface selection set to RF deck, so in a multi RF deck setup the Bluetooth interface selection needs to be changed to control head?
Old 12-02-2017, 7:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton25 View Post
Ok in the Bluetooth settings I had the Bluetooth interface selection set to RF deck, so in a multi RF deck setup the Bluetooth interface selection needs to be changed to control head?
If you have the kch20, yes.

Old 12-02-2017, 2:56 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Yes I do, so changing it to write to the kch20 allows simultaneous programming of both decks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4efm View Post
If you have the kch20, yes.

Old 12-02-2017, 2:58 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Any benefit from the new firmware for non-DMR users?
Old 12-02-2017, 3:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
Any benefit from the new firmware for non-DMR users?
Jay, won't know till Monday, I do know it addresses another locking up issue with site roaming on DMR and nxdn, there where some other items, dont know what it was, but found in the 700/800 radios.

Old 12-02-2017, 7:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is there a particular reason they only allow channels from Analog or P25 zones to be allowed in a tactical group? Seems rather arbitrary.
Old 12-02-2017, 8:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK6ZTE View Post
Is there a particular reason they only allow channels from Analog or P25 zones to be allowed in a tactical group? Seems rather arbitrary.
I will inquire about it Monday. Are you looking for DMR or NXDN to be in there?
I don't use tactical so I'm asking.

Old 12-03-2017, 1:37 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

ideally they should all be treated the same.

I have a bunch of analog personalities within DMR and NXDN systems that I’d like to be able to add to a tactical zone.

This behavior is documented in the general function manual, but it seems odd that it is specifically limited.
Old 12-03-2017, 6:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Unless I am missing it, I see that haven't done anything with MDC1200 to reduce the "Squak" that is received from a transmitting MDC unit. For us MDC users, that would be the icing on the cake. This radio is awesome, minus that one small issue.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:18 AM

I'd like to see Kenwood bring back the volume controls for the programmable soft keys that are set in the key assignment settings so we can assign volume up and volume down to the UP/Down arrows. They used to be available on the NX700/800 mobiles. They removed that capability in the NX5000 series. All that is available for volume control in the KCH20 head is the large knob next to the channel knob in the lower right corner. The knob is spongy springy feeling, turn it to 12, let go and it jumps to 13 or 11, have to play with it to get it right at 12.

Kenwood also removed the "Maintenance" function that shows RSSI signal strength. That was a handy feature that I use quite often on my NX700's.

It would also be nice to be able to assign keys for Fixed High Volume and Fixed Low Volume. If only they would add that. Currently you can only assign one button to 'toggle' between High and Low volume. Two separate buttons assigned, one for high volume and one for low volume would be awesome.

If you are a Kenwood dealer I ask that you please contact Kenwood and ask that they put these features back like they were in the NX700/800 mobiles, or add those that never existed as described above. If anything put back...

Thank you,
Doug
Old 12-04-2017, 12:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapaq2 View Post
I'd like to see Kenwood bring back the volume controls for the programmable soft keys that are set in the key assignment settings so we can assign volume up and volume down to the UP/Down arrows. They used to be available on the NX700/800 mobiles. They removed that capability in the NX5000 series. All that is available for volume control in the KCH20 head is the large knob next to the channel knob in the lower right corner. The knob is spongy springy feeling, turn it to 12, let go and it jumps to 13 or 11, have to play with it to get it right at 12.

Kenwood also removed the "Maintenance" function that shows RSSI signal strength. That was a handy feature that I use quite often on my NX700's.

It would also be nice to be able to assign keys for Fixed High Volume and Fixed Low Volume. If only they would add that. Currently you can only assign one button to 'toggle' between High and Low volume. Two separate buttons assigned, one for high volume and one for low volume would be awesome.

If you are a Kenwood dealer I ask that you please contact Kenwood and ask that they put these features back like they were in the NX700/800 mobiles, or add those that never existed as described above. If anything put back...

Thank you,
Doug
Doug, in the manual, if you have multi deck, you loose maintenance mode. Says it also in the help file. If you have a single deck, it is still there.

The volume knob was done that way on purpose on the KCH20 head, the basic kch19 is assignable. Some major Public Safety agencies asked for it that way. Loose of the low side, tight on the high. Reason was to prevent bumping it to 0 as a center console head, and something falls on it or hits the knob. Kenwood said not changing it. They have thier reasons.

Valid points, but you have to give up something to gain another.
Something I feel about the SD card size, 32 seems small, wish it was 128 gig, and I wish it was also the radio personality card.

I would write tactical data to a sd card, and then plug it in, and your new channels are loaded. Interoperability would succeed with that.
I'm still pushing that, makes a tactical zone sound a whole lot better for some people.

I'll just have to wait and see if they bring that around.

** I don't use tactical zone, but field 4 requests so far for things to be adjusted. However, think outside the box, mass casualty area, an sd card would allow for quick deployment of assets with plug and play. Agree? That would be a industry-leading technology changer.

Last edited by kd4efm; 12-04-2017 at 1:03 AM..
Old 12-04-2017, 11:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I agree, that would be quite interesting. Especially if they were to make it "open" to other manufacturers. A single microSD card that could be put in any radio with that slot...