RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2017, 12:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I couldn't agree more. I'm still learning the software and Evans has been very helpful with the hardware. I didn't learn the XTS,XTL, XPR, etc etc overnight either...
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9vjw View Post
I couldn't agree more. I'm still learning the software and Evans has been very helpful with the hardware. I didn't learn the XTS,XTL, XPR, etc etc overnight either...
Who told you that he is NOT helpful? Who and where? You just made it up. I am talking about absolutely other things. He will not dig deep and talk about it, he will no disclose anything, ne will not criticise Kenwood, etc.For me (and for me ONLY), this is not a contact that could be useful.
Old 10-31-2017, 5:22 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Folks, I don't think there's anything to be gained by discussing Evans' performance as a Kenwood dealer in this thread. The original intent of this thread was to discuss NX-5000 problems and suggestions for improvement. Let's stay on topic.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 10-31-2017, 7:11 PM
K1PGV, ScannerCast author
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I’m still trying to understand the true state of the radio and it’s performance.

I hear N3AAG saying “It has serious issues” ... I heard several people saying “Listen to KD4EFM”... OK... but I haven’t HEARD anything from EFM (here or privately).

My original questions still stand. So far, I haven’t heard anybody pipe up here and say “Yes, this radio is ready for prime time and will do what you described and there’s no reason you shouldn’t buy one.”

So, I’m still genuinely confused. Are AAG and EFM the only two guys who have one of these radios? Or do other people have the, and... just don’t want to get involved.

Peter
K1PGV
Old 10-31-2017, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGV View Post
Iím still trying to understand the true state of the radio and itís performance.

I hear N3AAG saying ďIt has serious issuesĒ ... I heard several people saying ďListen to KD4EFMĒ... OK... but I havenít HEARD anything from EFM (here or privately).

My original questions still stand. So far, I havenít heard anybody pipe up here and say ďYes, this radio is ready for prime time and will do what you described and thereís no reason you shouldnít buy one.Ē

So, Iím still genuinely confused. Are AAG and EFM the only two guys who have one of these radios? Or do other people have the, and... just donít want to get involved.

Peter
K1PGV
Not sure what you mean by "prime time" but many departments have these radios in mission critical applications. The radio is supported by the manufacture and documented problems that can be duplicated have been or are being corrected. There are some in this thread that do not like how timely bugs in the software / firmware get resolved or that it is not documented what was resolved when new firmare is released.
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2017, 7:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohonda View Post
Not sure what you mean by "prime time" but many departments have these radios in mission critical applications. The radio is supported by the manufacture and documented problems that can be duplicated have been or are being corrected. There are some in this thread that do not like how timely bugs in the software / firmware get resolved or that it is not documented what was resolved when new firmare is released.
The other "mission critical" manufacturers regularly publish revision notes so that users can recognise what bugs existed or have been fixed.

Ham radio users are the unicorns that need P25 and DMR in same radio AND exercise all of the feature options. So not surprising there could be some bugs in a radio sharing both features.

However reading comments about analog features like pre or de emphasis not working, or random radio OS resets definately raises some eyebrows.

Kenwood could put this to rest by adressing comments raised here on official letterhead, not via a third party dealer.

Some of us are hams, but also recommend equipment in our day jobs. The prospect of a multi mode radio is exciting.

I am hoping to learn that Kenwood radios are well supported by the factory engineers.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2017, 11:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Guys I am here, I am monitoring but right now, knee deep with alot of work and contracts.

Prime time use, the answer is this, there are close to 300,000+ radios out there, and The hams (us) make up some number close to 3 or 400. Each time there is a burp, I am pretty much into the thick of it, and talking to long beach, taking time away from my duties to pass on the things here. It does not effect all users either.

Is this easy? No. I am right now dealing with another dmr bug in 2.31 with site roaming. I have to do thankless hours of stuff to validate and submitt it back, and then Japan gets involved.

I'm not a ghost, just very busy right now.
Thanks for the kind words too guys.

Here is the key thing about this, each person will get different results in different ways. You're going to get different results also. (Forgot already who user was that asked about prime use) I back it, I talk it, and I walk it.

I will advise when I hear anything on the site roaming issue I am having when I can.

EFM

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2017, 7:36 AM

One thing I find interesting is that many people on these forums are the ones that discover these Ďbugsí and itís not just limited to Kenwood. I can tell you when Unication released their new firmware, I discovered several bugs in two days of use and abuse. As a manufacturer, why not tap into these people as beta testers. If I can locate these issues in two days of use, how are these bugs not being caught? That shows me a lack a proper testing before releasing firmware updates. Again, not just knocking Kenwood as Iíve seen this with other manufacturers. I am very much interested in getting a NX-5700 and 5800 due to analog, P25 and DMR all in one radio.

KD4EFM is a voice. He pushed issues from people on these forums when they are identified. That says a lot from a dealer that isnít YOUR dealer. He doesnít just care about HIS customer base, he cares about the product he sells, period.

N3AAG is someone that finds Ďbugsí and brings it to others attention. That helps people make decisions on whether or not they want to buy a certain product with knowledge of its potential limitations. We should be working together, not bashing either of them. We are all public safety users, or hams, or hobbyists with the same overall end goal...having a great product that suits our needs. Letís stop the bashing and work together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2017, 9:37 AM
K1PGV, ScannerCast author
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thank you, everyone.

TL;DR
I’m going to pass on buying an NX-5000. I’ll come back to re-examine the radio in a year or two, and maybe there’ll be more of a community and some of the ham-use bugs will be worked out.

Long version:

Just like Moto, the manufacturers don’t tap us as beta testers because they don’t care much about our use cases. They care about their target market, and they generally have their hands full fixing stuff and adding features to get/keep big contracts/departments on board. I don’t fault the manufacturers for this. When it comes down to it, they’d mostly prefer us hams to go away. For example, years back Moto made it REALLY hard for hams to buy their CPS software.

What I’ve learned so far is that the biggest difference between having an XTS/XTL/APX and having an NX-5000 is the size, organization, and cooperation of the ham user community. If you have a question about installing or programming or using your APX, there are a zillion folks who will willingly help you. You want your radio updated, tested, aligned, or fixed? There’s a pile of online friends who’ll be happy to have you send them your radio (some of these guys are legit, some of them are doing your radio on their boss’s time or with their department’s iButton that “has a few extra flashes left”, but whatever... there’s a lot of help). You want an accessory, or a used part? There are a ton of folks who can sell it to you.

In addition, what I’m hearing (here and in the PMs I’ve received) is that the radio has some issues for use in the scenarios frequently used by hams. I’ve learned the community has an advocate in Evans, which is great, but he’s one guy who’s dedicated but who does this in the spirit of ham brotherhood.

So... bottom line... as a result of all the feedback I’ve gotten, I’m going to pass on buying An NX-5000. I’ll come back to re-examine the radio in a year or two, and maybe there’ll be more of a community and some of the ham-use bugs will be worked out.

Thank you to all. Your time in helping me come to this decision is much appreciated.

Peter
K1PGV
Old 11-01-2017, 9:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm gonna throw my two cents in; whether it will do any good or not, I don't know.

I have been a Motorola user for years now. About a year ago, I switched to Kenwood with the release of the Kenwood NX Series. What drew me to the Kenwood line was the fact that I could do conventional, P25 and DMR all in one radio; something Motorola hasn't done yet. I purchased the NX-5700/NX-5800 dual band, in the single full featured control head.

Overall, I am very impressed with the operations of the radio. I am still learning tricks of the trade as they relate to Kenwood. As with anything, there are somethings I miss from Motorola that Kenwood does not do and vice versa. I use this radio for both personal and business. I have customers with UHF DMR systems and customers with UHF P25 systems. This radio allows me to do all of that, without having to have several different radios. For me to do this with Motorola, I would have to have 4 different radios.

Now, Kenwood has done some work to the radio with firmware updates and software updates. Some things have changed for the better and for the worse. These things take time. The one and only thing I am struggling with is the DMR roaming feature. Other than that, things are going well. I have made a couple of recommendations to Evans and he has been instrumental in helping out with things. I have sent him copies of my codeplugs so he could take a look and make some recommendations.

What I am finding now is that I have to tweak some audio settings and play around with little things here and there to get the radio where I want it. I still learning the Kenwood way as well. What you can't beat, is one control head that does it all. My radio is set up to add a third band. My intention is to add an 7/800 band next year.

In conclusion, I don't know if this helps anyone out with making the decision to purchase this radio. I took a shot and I am very satisfied. I do miss little things with my Motorola, but I think it is because I am so use to Motorola.

If anyone has any questions for me, please PM me and I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 11-05-2017, 8:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGV View Post
Thank you, everyone.

TL;DR
Iím going to pass on buying an NX-5000. Iíll come back to re-examine the radio in a year or two, and maybe thereíll be more of a community and some of the ham-use bugs will be worked out.

Long version:

Just like Moto, the manufacturers donít tap us as beta testers because they donít care much about our use cases. They care about their target market, and they generally have their hands full fixing stuff and adding features to get/keep big contracts/departments on board. I donít fault the manufacturers for this. When it comes down to it, theyíd mostly prefer us hams to go away. For example, years back Moto made it REALLY hard for hams to buy their CPS software.

What Iíve learned so far is that the biggest difference between having an XTS/XTL/APX and having an NX-5000 is the size, organization, and cooperation of the ham user community. If you have a question about installing or programming or using your APX, there are a zillion folks who will willingly help you. You want your radio updated, tested, aligned, or fixed? Thereís a pile of online friends whoíll be happy to have you send them your radio (some of these guys are legit, some of them are doing your radio on their bossís time or with their departmentís iButton that ďhas a few extra flashes leftĒ, but whatever... thereís a lot of help). You want an accessory, or a used part? There are a ton of folks who can sell it to you.

In addition, what Iím hearing (here and in the PMs Iíve received) is that the radio has some issues for use in the scenarios frequently used by hams. Iíve learned the community has an advocate in Evans, which is great, but heís one guy whoís dedicated but who does this in the spirit of ham brotherhood.

So... bottom line... as a result of all the feedback Iíve gotten, Iím going to pass on buying An NX-5000. Iíll come back to re-examine the radio in a year or two, and maybe thereíll be more of a community and some of the ham-use bugs will be worked out.

Thank you to all. Your time in helping me come to this decision is much appreciated.

Peter
K1PGV
Peter, understand, I also use these for my business use on a daily basis too, so I may be biased by name, but I also will be quick to tell about the down side as well. Not only do I have a respond to just here, but I also respond to those who protect life and safety. As to the ham side, i have worked side by side with those who have built out the HAM NXDN network. So yes, I have worked behind all the hopla with these radios, starting with the NX-x00 series. I am concerned that you may have gotten some good information, but also some mis-leading information as well. I am all up to hearing from you and talking more about this with you.
The DMR aspect has some work to be done to it, especially the FPP side, but it is being adjusted and worked on at Kenwood.

My opinion, get 1 mobile and build as you go.