RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2017, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton25 View Post
How about adding the priority scan LED function to the mobiles? Right now it's only available for portables.
Could you please tell a bit more?
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2017, 9:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton25 View Post
How about adding the priority scan LED function to the mobiles? Right now it's only available for portables.
Like we talked about earlier, I will bring that up to kenwood. Even at IWCE when I get a chance to.
Old 01-10-2018, 9:57 AM

Not a lack as such, but vice versa, +1 for Kenwood. Their RSSI meter (Maintenance menu) is very precise. Error is 0 or 1 dB as maximum in 80..120 dBm range. It's good for coverage tests and locating some unauthorized transmitters. But range would be wider, up to -50 or better (as competitors). I will add such line in my list.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Another strong side of NX5000 is their sensitivity. Just did a test of a bunch of radios with Anritsu lab grade generator.

NX5K radios shows sensitivity near -120..121 dBm. This result this is very close to the most sensitive radios on the market - MotoTRBO radios. I am not a fan of MotoTRBO at all, but it’s a fact that they all not worse than -121 and sometimes even -124.

NX5K’s SQL have 4 dB wide hysteresis.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:57 AM

Default Back to Audio Quality Issues

Hi All,
I landed on this thread while looking for options to address audio quality issues I am finding with the NX-5200 mobile. I'll add some information below, but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

I am testing the NX-5000 series in an all-analog environment where they have to perform similarly to the Motorola APX series. There is a difference in audio quality with the NX, certainly less high frequency content in the audio as compared to the APX. As other users have noted, the equalizer function does not appear to work for analog transmissions, the only options to make any changes to audio quality seem to be:
1) Changing Audio Profile > Microphone Type
2) Changing the microphone

I tested the KMC-35 mic against the KMC-27B mic and the 27B is somewhere better, but not as good as the APX. The radio is running firmware v2.50 and KPG-D1N is also v2.50.

I also took a long shot and tried a CDM1250 mic with the NX, since they both use the same RJ45, but the wiring was not the same.

Not to knock Kenwood at all, I really like many of the design choices made with these radios and the RF performance is every bit as good as the APX which costs a ton more. I also found the NX portable with the KMC-54WD mic is clearly superior to the APX portable with the standard speaker mic. And my dealer has been awesome to work with.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2018, 1:07 AM

What are you using on the other end to compare the audio? In other words, what is your receiving radio?

If it's Motorola, make sure the companders are shut off.

Also, making sure you are running the latest firmware on the radio and KPG-1 would be a good idea.

I'm running a few NX-5700's at our PD and the audio sounds pretty good. EQ settings worked for us, at least they seemed to.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:01 PM

It's a Motorola APX that I am receiving with. The compander ("HearClear") is disabled. The Rx de-emphasis is on.

Are you using the NX5700's in an all-analog mode?