RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 7:46 PM

RJ series connectors, I made a typo.
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2017, 11:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am talking about the Mic jack as that's where programming cable plugs in.. Pin 1, per the service
Manual, should have 12v on it to power the programming cable.. With out that voltage, the program
Cable doesn't work.. I've seen this before..

Pete
Old 12-10-2017, 11:37 PM

I hooked everything up tonight and checked and the pin furthest to the right has 12V still getting connection error
Old 12-11-2017, 2:53 PM

As I posted, the mic connector is a RJ 45, and Kenwood numbers the pins backwards from the RJ45 standards. The 12 volts is on pin 2 in the eight pin RJ45 connector.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2017, 2:58 PM

This will give you an idea of the pin locations on the RJ45 plug. Power for the programming circuit is on pin 7.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2017, 4:03 PM

Thank you for posting those my KCH-4 control head has the RJ12 6 pin connector I checked and pin 6 has 12V at it, as the first diagram shows.
Old 12-12-2017, 1:04 PM

So I looked at my kpg-46 cable that I ordered when I thought it was the cable I need, and it only has 3 wires going to the RJ45 connector it follows the wiring schematic posted except it does not have the wire going to pin 7 for the 12V, I am try to make a patch cable to go from the RJ45 plug to a RJ12 plug. Has anyone seen a cable like this how does the cable get itís power?
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2017, 1:22 PM

I may just buy the pieces and make my own cable, I can’t quite read the part # for the voltage regulator is it njm78l05ua or njm79l05ua?
Old 12-12-2017, 1:55 PM

Looks like a knock off programming cable. You did not say weather it was a Serial or USB programming cable. From your post it seems to be a Serial cable and that needs five volts for the RS232 to TTL converter. A USB cable usually uses the five volts from the computer to run the TTL logic going to the radio.
Seems the 78 or 79 series are five volt regulators similar to the one in the schematics I posted.

I have an older KWD 25 pin Serial program cable for the six pin radios and I added a lead from the input side of the voltage regulator thru a diode to a clip that I put on 12 volts.

Last edited by cmdrwill; 12-12-2017 at 2:07 PM..
Old 12-12-2017, 2:04 PM

Ok I will try to see if I can pull my cable apart tonight and look at adding a power lead. Do you happen to have a drawing of how you added it?
Old 12-12-2017, 2:16 PM

Look at the two schematics, 8 to 12 volts should go into the pin on the voltage regulator REG1 or REG coming from the RJ mic connector in the schematics, the three pin chip. And I will try to find a photo of one of the KWD cable circuit boards.
Old 12-13-2017, 5:45 PM

Pardon the newb question but what is the purpose of the the capacitors on the input and output side of the voltage regulator?
Old 12-14-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD-14-109 View Post
Pardon the newb question but what is the purpose of the the capacitors on the input and output side of the voltage regulator?
The capacitors keep the regulator from oscillating and filters out noise.
Old 12-14-2017, 1:15 AM

Gotcha I have little experience building circuits but have gotten pretty good with repairing and altering circuit boards. I always like to learn why items are required not just that they are required so I thank you for being patient with me!
Old Yesterday, 1:08 AM

Ok so I made a patch cord to go from the RJ45 to RJ12 and tried to program the radio in a dos box inside win98se and I got the message stating mismatch model that I was expecting after installing the KCH5 upgrade I hit retry and the progress bar started moving then it said programming complete but there is nothing in the radio anyone ever seen this?
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 2:23 PM

Did you try to boot the computer DIRECTLY into DOS? Some programming software will NOT work in a "DOS box".
Old Yesterday, 5:46 PM

Yes I have when running it in dos I can’t get it to communicate at all. I am still waiting for the parts to arrive to build my own cable. I contacted the seller I bought my cable from that I posted a pic of earlier and was told that the cable gets its power for the rs232 to ttl chip from the dtr pin on the serial port. At this point I’m just going to wait till the parts arrive so I can make my own cable.
Old Yesterday, 8:28 PM

The RS232 chip may not be getting power. Did you check the regulator input and out put voltages?

" cable gets its power for the rs232 to ttl chip from the dtr pin on the serial port. " not the best way to get voltage to run the RS232 to TTL chip.
Old Yesterday, 8:43 PM

I tried checking the voltage on the chip but I can not find a voltage regulator on it, I’ve basically decided to give up on this cable I bought of eBay and build my own based off of the schematics you posted, I will report back after all my parts come in.