• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-630H programming troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

OFD-14-109

Hell everyone I am trying, quite unsuccessfully, to program my TK-630H using KPG-7D software and a serial KPG-4 programming cable all I keep getting is connection error messages when I try to read or write the radio. I am using an old 25 MHz 486DX laptop running true format DOS, Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Are you putting it into program mode? Press and hold the left button on the bottom row during power up.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if your software supports that radio programming. I use KPG-44D v 2.02 for my radios, which are Kenwood TK-690 series.

OFD-14-109

It should the programming matrix shows KPG-7D for TK-*30 models do the high powered versions use a different programming version?

wcu02mpa

Some ideas

Just some basic things. I have programmed many an X30 series.

Make sure the correct COM port is selected.

Try the cable on a different X30 to make sure all good.

OFD-14-109

I have it connected to Com1 and have selected that port in the software still can not get the software to read the radio I will try tonight to see if I can get it to read my tk-730/830 dual band setup.

Last edited:

OFD-14-109

I tried tonight to read/write to both of my *30 series radioand can not read any of them. I’m beyond frustrated I’m wondering if my programming cable is bad

OFD-14-109

Well that’s not the case my KCH-4 control head has a 6pin mic jack not 8pin so I do need the kpg-4 cable I’m lost anybody have any suggestions I really need to get this to program!

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Are you programming from a native Windows environment or are you programming via Dosbox?

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Which version of software are you running? I've had issues with different versions before. These older radios are a pain to program.

What is your timing? Are you powering the radio on, then putting it into programming mode before touching the software?

Have you tried selecting the other com port in the software?

OFD-14-109

It’s version 2.01 I believe and yes the radio is put into programming mode well before messing with the software and yes I have tried both Com ports. I have installed the KCH-5 upgrade and I am trying to write a new file to the radio. I tried reading/writing to my tk-730/830 dual band radio to see if maybe I messed up when installing the 16K eprom but couldn’t get it to read or write on that setup either I have used this computer on many late 80’s early 90’s era Motorola Radios so I know the Com ports work.

n2mci

Some other things I would look at: If the programming cable requires 12v (MAX232 design or equ.),
make sure there's 12v on pin 1 of the 6 pin jack..

Also, one of the signal lines (RXD) is tie to the Hook line, make sure the Hook line isn't tied to ground
some where so that the radio will always scan..

A long shot, but I've seen with some early after market cables, the jumpers on the RS-232 side.. See:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/pix/kpg-4-and-kpg-46-programming-cable.gif

Good Luck, Pete

n2mci

It's pin 2 if it's a 8 pin jack.. The link I posted has it as pin 6? I know it's the end pin on a 6 pin jack..
I got the info originally from the see service manual and I located the pin when I saw 12v on it.. I
Used this to build a cable..

Pete

OFD-14-109

Ok so the mic jack on the control head must have 12V on this pin? I thought you were talking about the 6 pin molex accessory connector on the back of the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.